Accu-stats

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 is becoming my favorite game very quickly. Any suggested accu-stats videos?

Last edited:

nrhoades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought this video, and also "Mastering Pool" by George Fels. Also bought "Play Better Pool: Winning Techniques" by Mizerak, Panozzo and Fels to reach minimum order price.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Bought this video, and also "Mastering Pool" by George Fels. Also bought "Play Better Pool: Winning Techniques" by Mizerak, Panozzo and Fels to reach minimum order price.

Minimum what with the who-now?

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
PLAYER REVIEW OLIVER ORTMANN v EARL HERRING PREDATOR NOT SURE OF YEAR I THINK 2009 ORTMAN IS FANTASTIC AND YOU WILL DEFINATLY LEARN THINGS IMHO

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you wish to learn how to play straight pool correctly then watch guys like
Mike Segil
Mike Zuglan
Dallas West
Dick Lane
Jim Rempe
Steve Mizerak
Grady Matthews
Nick Varner
Ray Martin
Oliver Ortmann
John Schmidt
Ralf Souquet
Efren Reyes

Commentators would be Grady, Danny DeLiberto & (the late) Johnny Ervolino. These are the best of the best. Billy Incardona has become a very good 14.1 commentator because he's learned the game from working with the above named people. As an aside...the guys working for Inside Pool don't have a clue & aren't worth listening to.
Most of the videos of the guys on the above list are older & not up to todays standards as far as picture quality, etc. but the knowledge is invaluable.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
actually, i find JR Calvert's commentary usually quite good and often focused more on the game than many ramblers (not always, but often). and when Inside Pool had Dan Wallace on board for the 2012 DCC Challenge, his commentary was among the best i've heard. he's a 200 ball runner, so i believe he Does "have a clue", and he's far more erudite and amusing than other pool commentators, with the exception of George Fels, who, come to think of it, also did some commentary for Inside Pool at the 2011 World's 14.1.

in addition to the great ones you mention, i would add John DiToro and Bill "Weenie Beenie" Staton, both of whom were understated but studious commentators on 14.1. oh, and Nick Varner, of course.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Commentators would be Grady, Danny DeLiberto & (the late) Johnny Ervolino. These are the best of the best. Billy Incardona has become a very good 14.1 commentator because he's learned the game from working with the above named people. As an aside...the guys working for Inside Pool don't have a clue & aren't worth listening to.
[/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong about Inside Pool commentators. It is true that some of them are not good at it. They may have just been drafted 5 minutes earlier to help fill out a spot. ;)

But J.R. Calvert knows the game inside and out and his commentary is great. George Fels did some commentary at last year's World Championship and it was excellent as well. Bobby Hunter did a little commentary for them down at Derby and he was good. Dan Wallace did some at Derby too and he knows the game.

Last edited:

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the Accu-stats DVDs / commentary, add "Weenie Beenie" to the list. He definitely knew what he was talking about. His real name was Bill Staton, and he was usually paired up with Grady and Ervolino.

Edit: Just saw Wigglybridge's post. I didn't see it the first time through.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I like the player reviews the best because if you watch someone run a rack you may agree or not how they ran it .But watching that same person run a rack and knowing the thought prosess of why they did xyz instead of abc I think you learn alot more IMHO

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I like the player reviews the best because if you watch someone run a rack you may agree or not how they ran it .But watching that same person run a rack and knowing the thought prosess of why they did xyz instead of abc I think you learn alot more IMHO

Now that's the best thing you have ever said Gerard !!!! LOL

all kidding aside i couldn't agree more !
-Steve

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the general consensuses from this thread is commentating by George Fels is great. I couldn't agree more. As much as I love Grady, George Fels is my favorite 14.1 commentator by a mile. He's ruthless in his dissections of the players. He'll just plainly state why what they're doing is wrong, and somehow he is able to get at it so clearly that you can't help but agree with him. Incredibly knowledgeable.

If I could hear George Fels commentating my practice sessions, I truly believe I'd be a 70+ runner in days. His solutions are often mind-bogglingly simple, but just not obvious, and really reinforce the simple beauty of perfect 14.1 that the greats are capable of on their best days.