Mike Gartland A.K.A. Quality Cues

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After receiving a tax due notice for a purchase.
Mike Gartland aka Quality Cues, instead of paying tax on out of state purchase, files a form in The State of Kentucky saying they are not responsible for the Sate tax amount, you are!
Whether you realize it or not when you buy a cue from Quality Cues, you owe tax ON TOP of the purchase price.

Out of state "purchase" or out of state "sale"?

Scott

peterskw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not understand this sales tax thing and I don't blame the OP for being upset. But I have done numerous deals with Mike and everything has gone completely smooth. He's bent over backwards to make things good for me.

Pete

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
BTW how my GREEN is the BlueGrass after you for?

Translation please!

Scott

Good luck with that.

By the way, how much green(money) is the Blue Grass( Mike) after you for? :grin-square:

You're welcome!!! :thumbup:

As stated by others...My experiences have all been flawless, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Mike again... Not sure about the OP's circumstances tho...sorry...

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
By the way, how much green(money) is the Blue Grass( Mike) after you for? :grin-square:

As stated by others...My experiences have all been flawless, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Mike again... Not sure about the OP's circumstances tho...sorry...

buying a cue from mike====>not cheap

being able to translate cocobolocowboyese===>priceless

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Translation please!

Scott

What is the Amount of Tax YE State of KY is seeking. Honestly if the sale between parties did not take place in KY, and delivery was in KY why would they (The State of Kentucky) be seeking SALES TAX?

Also how can the State of Kentucky go after the buyer who is not a resident of Kentucky for the TAX?

So now we wait for Panhdlce to reply.

Last edited:

sebas

Watch Out Indiana
Silver Member
I believe Mr. Gartland has a law degree; I think he must have sworn an oath to uphold the law somewhere along the line. Charging sales tax because it is required by law...even though customer expectation says the practice is almost unheard of...shows integrity. Not telling a customer up front that this is a requirement shows ignorance in my opinion. I don't know what was said, or how it was said, but I try to get the bad news clearly disclosed. Misunderstandings kill repeat business

Mike bought a fine cue from me and paid my asking price. I'd do business with him again.

So you're saying he didn't try and beat your price up after he got the cue and say the shafts weren't straight etc. then sold the cue with "dead straight"shafts? He makes sure he makes his money on the buy side plenty of people can verify his bs tactics. BTW I know plenty of deadbeat lawyers. just because you pass the bar doesn't mean you are an upstanding guy.

Last edited:

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
So you're saying he didn't try and beat your price up after he got the cue and say the shafts weren't straight etc. then sold the cue with "dead straight"shafts? He makes sure he makes his money on the buy side plenty of people can verify his bs tactics. BTW I know plenty of deadbeat lawyers. just because you pass the bar doesn't mean you are an upstanding guy.
I knowing the same Story:mad:lucky was not my Deal:wink:
is the Hereck gone:confused:
Ralf

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Panhdlce has not replied, so why even bother with this until he explains his side of the story more. Mr. Garland has not said a word, so maybe we need to wait for Panhdlce to reply.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
No sales tax here:)

Move to Delaware, no sales tax here:thumbup: Welllll...of course there's a possible 4.5% income tax:(
I was under the 'assumption' that the Internet seller had the responsibility to collect the tax if an item is sold in or to a state that has a sales tax.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Move to Delaware, no sales tax here:thumbup: Welllll...of course there's a possible 4.5% income tax:(
I was under the 'assumption' that the Internet seller had the responsibility to collect the tax if an item is sold in or to a state that has a sales tax.

I live in Kentucky (actually same city as Mike). All I know is there is a line on my tax form to declare any out of state purchases made so you can pay the state their 6% sales tax. I believe the onus is on the buyer to declare this in their state. It's just like when you buy something on the Internet and it says "California residents must pay addtional 8% sales tax". That is because the business is licensed in CA and is required to charge tax to anyone in state.

I don't know why anyone selling something out of state would worry about the taxes since, as far as I understand it, it is on the buyer to declare this. As with everything though, I could be wrong.

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Kentucky (actually same city as Mike). All I know is there is a line on my tax form to declare any out of state purchases made so you can pay the state their 6% sales tax. I believe the onus is on the buyer to declare this in their state. It's just like when you buy something on the Internet and it says "California residents must pay addtional 8% sales tax". That is because the business is licensed in CA and is required to charge tax to anyone in state.

I don't know why anyone selling something out of state would worry about the taxes since, as far as I understand it, it is on the buyer to declare this. As with everything though, I could be wrong.

Unlike most people selling cues, I declare the income that I receive when doing so. Because 99.9% of everything I sell is shipped out of state, I am not required to collect any sales tax on any cues shipped out of state, but am required and do file a form with KY stating the same. I have no idea what the laws of other states are as to declaring taxes for receiving property in State A when it is shipped from KY where no sales tax is charged or collected in KY. I do not collect sales tax for cues shipped out of state because there is no requirement that I do so. If I were to collect sales tax for cues shipped out of KY, I would merely be charging more for the cues with no obligation to remit the sales tax to KY.

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After receiving a tax due notice for a purchase.
Mike Gartland aka Quality Cues, instead of paying tax on out of state purchase, files a form in The State of Kentucky saying they are not responsible for the Sate tax amount, you are!
Whether you realize it or not when you buy a cue from Quality Cues, you owe tax ON TOP of the purchase price.

Phil: You are misinformed. The form that I file with KY as to cues shipped out of state does not say that the buyer is responsible for paying the sales tax. Go on-line and look at the form. I file the form because it is required by law. I do not charge or collect sales tax in KY because there is no requirement that I do so when the cue is shipped out of KY.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Thanks for the clarification
I interpreted CC's comment to mean that he was concernerd about the
state of Kentucky (Blue Grass) applying taxation (green) without (how much) representation (after for you)