Tom Wirth (one pocket)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi. I posted this on Onepocket.org

I got connected with TW from a member here. Thank You for the recommendation. Honestly I will never be a great 1P player but that's ok. I do not gamble or compete. I only want to play a respectable game with friends and other 1P players. The game fascinates me.
Tom is a great teacher. Anything I learn from him is a plus. And I am learning. Tom is organized. He describes, sets up and talks about the drills or moves. Not all great players are teachers. Tom is. Anyone wanting to learn or improve Tom is the man. Talented, easy going and soft spoken...he delivers. His hourly fee is more than reasonable. Take a lesson from T. You'll go back for more. Thanks for reading. Frank

Tom is located in S. Florida

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Tom Wirth...yes!

I got connected with TW from some members here(one pocket.org). Thank You for the recommendation. Honestly I will never be a great 1P player but that's ok. I do not gamble or compete. I only want to play a respectable game with friends and other 1P players. The game fascinates me.
Tom is a great teacher. Anything I learn from him is a plus. And I am learning. Tom is organized. He describes, sets up and talks about the drills or moves. Not all great players are teachers. Tom is. Anyone wanting to learn or improve Tom is the man. Talented, easy going and soft spoken...he delivers. His hourly fee is more than reasonable. Take a lesson from T. You'll go back for more. Thanks for reading. Frank

Tom's a great guy. Wish I'd have taken a one-pocket lesson from him when I had the chance twenty years ago!

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Don, I hope you are doing well and you and yours are having a Happy New Year.

Tom

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So here I am 3 years later still working with Tom. I'm happy with the way it's going. There is so much to practice and learn. Aside from
Personal instruction his book Controlled Agression has been extremely helpful. OneP is such a great game. It does not get old.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
End of another year and still going. I'm learning. My head is full of stuff. I'm trying to be as good a student as Tom a teacher. His knowledge is endless. My biggest complaint is finding appropriate competition. I surpassed the guys I was playing with. The stronger players only want to play for $$ (which I don't). However I'm having a ball (sometimes 8-n-out) figuring the whole thing out. I thank my instructor and friend for giving me the tools to enjoy an afternoon of 1p. The fun is endless...that's a win win.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I just started playing some one pocket this year. I have the same problem. Only the player that can beat me wants to always play for money. I enjoy playing to learn. The thing is, when not playing for anything and with no pressure, the players can go for shots that they would never go for when money is on the line. So I can see both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just started playing some one pocket this year. I have the same problem. Only the player that can beat me wants to always play for money. I enjoy playing to learn. The thing is, when not playing for anything and with no pressure, the players can go for shots that they would never go for when money is on the line. So I can see both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Playing to learn..... there’s only one way up. :thumbup2: It’s amazing how many aspects there are to the game. What’s more fascinating is the level some people can play.
My favorite part is returning the break and when the stack is tight. The little duel until a ball gets picked off. The carom or bank that sets the stage. I have been working on caroms for past few lessons. I’m slowly catching on to manipulating a ball. Tom is quite a good carom instructor... I dubbed him KingCarom.
At this stage my best teacher is to play and keep playing. Losing to an extremely strong player is to win. I see how weak I am. and a where I need to work harder.
We end a lesson by playing a game. I’m ok for a little while until I lose the cue. That white ball hates me sometimes. However we might stop the game and discuss what happened. I said before I’m a player that needs to learn from an instructor. No different than learning an instrument. Scott Lee taught me to mechanics and Tom’s my 1P. I took a 2 Hour lesson from Tom 3 years ago that never ended ....and it will go on.... and one day I will run out on him... at that point I will call Tom master and thank him for everything he taught me. That is the best compliment an instructor can get.....and I will get my diploma.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom Wirth. The guy that Wrote The Book. Whether or not Tom ever gets into the HOF he belongs there. He might not have been the best in the universe but he is one of the best on the planet.

Tom Wirth grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. As a teenager, his next door neighbor introduced him to pool. His neighbor was a pretty good player and he helped Tom with the basics of stance and how to aim. When he was 15 or 16, back in the mid sixties, Tom started going to the local poolroom, Roman Billiards as often as he could.

As Tom recalls, Roman Billiards was a very good poolroom ; one of several good rooms in the area. After Roman Billiards closed, most of the players went to Randolph Hills, and that is where Tom really developed as a player. One Pocket was a very popular game at that time in the Washington, DC area, so from the very beginning, it was the main game Tom learned and played. There was one particularly good local player in Randolph Hills by the name of Walker Roach, who worked for a living, but as Tom recalls, “played tough as nails.” Roach never traveled, but he was great competition and Tom credits Roach for developing both his competitive instincts and his One Pocket winning ways.

There were quite a number of high quality players in the DC area, so Tom did not have to travel far to find new and challenging competition. On the other side of DC there was Weenie Beenie’s room, Jack & Jill’s, and many other rooms in and around Washington. In those days poolrooms did not have the little local tournaments that are so commonplace now, so it was mainly action that honed Tom’s skills.
In his first foray into professional tournament competition, Tom won Strawberry’s1993 major One Pocket tournament featuring many of the greatest players of the day. The format was race to five, single elimination, and along his route to the title Tom defeated Grady Mathews and Cliff Joyner, among others, before defeating Jose Parica in the finals.

Emboldened by that victory Tom played in several of the early Derby City Classicsand a few of Grady’s Legends tournaments and did pretty well, but not finishing quite high enough to make the money worthwhile. He moved to Florida permanently after his mother died. Tom has an older Gold Crown at home suitable for occasional practice, but without much action lately, it doesn’t get the use it should. “I always tried to treat pool like a profession; I could never play fun pool – even with my wife.”

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i will add to the list of endorsers of tom wirth as a onepocket teacher
his understanding of the game is at the doctoral level and beyond
but what makes him a great teacher is being able to see what you dont know and showing you in a way that will stick
also he teaches not just shots but the propper way to think and analyse situations as they arise
in other words
to use an analagy
he teaches you how to fish so you can do it for the rest of your life

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2019 coming up and still going. Happy New Year TRW... and thanks for the quality lessons.... just keeps getting better and better. I'm having too much fun...I feel you should exercise a surcharge.

Last edited:

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the endorsements guys.
I love to teach this great game, mostly because it has given me so much joy over the years. At this point in my life I want all pool players to experience the same thrill I have had time after time in finding ways to turn what looks like insurmountable traps set by my opponent into traps of my own.

Watching opponents who's smug faces turn from looks of certain victory on the horizon into "Oh my God! What just happened?" is one of the sweetest memories a pool player can experience. And One Pocket is the only game which allows for a player's imagination to come shinning through and make this happen more than any other pool game ever invented.

Because One Pocket requires a knowledge of all pool disciplines, banks, kicks, caroms, shot making, and precise cue ball control, this game will, without question help to improve your skills in all other games too.

Come join the ever growing numbers of young and old who have become addicted to this wonderful game. The popularity of One Pocket is growing faster than any other pool game there is, and for good reason. It is mind expanding. No mater how much you may learn about how the balls interact with one another, no mater how good your strategy may be, no mater the quality of your execution skills, you will never learn all this game has to offer in terms of improving each of those skills and acquiring greater knowledge.

Always remember, for each and everyone of us, the goal should never be focused on a destination but rather the journey.

To learn One Pocket is to become a General in a great army, form a winning strategy, and direct the soldiers (the pool balls) to overcome an opposing army and achieve victory.. :)

Happy One Pocket!

Tom

Last edited:

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I got connected with TW from some members here(one pocket.org). Thank You for the recommendation. Honestly I will never be a great 1P player but that's ok. I do not gamble or compete. I only want to play a respectable game with friends and other 1P players. The game fascinates me.

What part of FL, what was the rate? Don't live there but go to Orlando once a year to visit family.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I live in Delray Beach, Florida

I have a 9' GC 1 in my home so the lessons are entirely private

and a video memory card is provided for every hour of instruction.

There are no distractions,

no onlookers, no music blasting through speakers,

just pool, and a wealth of knowledge shared to help make you

a far better One Pocket player than you are today.

Contact me for scheduling details and rates at

trwirth369@gmail.com

Tom

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom, your book is absolutely the best book on one pocket that I've ever seen. And that includes the rare titles, "Shots, Moves, and Strategies" and "Winning One-pocket". I thought those were great books, but I'd have to rate yours a few notches higher! :thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
entirely private

There are no distractions,

Tom

No bar no pin ball machine no smoke no music no nothin except an incredible lesson(s). TRW is someone every 1p player should know. Meet your last instructor first. As for his book. Absolutely a future collectible. But never mind the future. Learn new things now. As the future rolls in you’ll be playing better 1p.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom, your book is absolutely the best book on one pocket that I've ever seen. And that includes the rare titles, "Shots, Moves, and Strategies" and "Winning One-pocket". I thought those were great books, but I'd have to rate yours a few notches higher! :thumbup:

Thank you Brian. That is high praise indeed. I have high regard for Eddie's books.

Tom

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
are you playing in tournaments or anything?
No. My wife had a lot of surgeries in the past years. I’m the caregiver, shopper, cook, bottle washer. Cannot get away for long periods. I grab a game whenever I have a chance. I play good enough to have fun… that’s all I’m looking for. I had a great Sunday routine… I was playing with one of Tom’s students weekly. He moved out of state.