Scruggs/Frey SP experts.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I know Bob Frey made a lot of sneakies for Tim. My question is about Bob's newer sneaky petes. I have two, both quite different. One is his standard model with
a black joint collar, Hoppe ring with his stylized F in the ring.

The other is sold as his true/sneaky. No collar and the stylized F up in the lighter prong. The grip section seems to be a bit thinner. Even at the same weight the T/S feels a touch lighter.

Which of the two is closer in play to the cues he made for Tim?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made a lot of variations, wood to wood with big pin, phenolic joints into wood with big pin, piloted fixtures...

I don't think there's a simple answer to your question.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I’ve had dozens of them, the roughest ones played the best...no idea if it had anything to do with anything but the ones I had with the delrin buttcap and no joint ring seemed to be at the top of the spectrum.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding is that Scruggs himself, over the last 15 years of his cue making, only made the "fancy" SPS with the TS logo on the bottom of the butt - most of those were Bocote into straight maple.Many of those had ivory piloted joints and ivory ferrules. These ARE the best playing SPs from that shop- IMO- and some have said that TS had also made this comment to others. As far as Frey is concerned - no doubt they play very well- but one thing I have heard more than once is that the PILOTED wood jointed cues do not play as tight after continued play- probably not true with his flat faced big pin SPs if ordered that way. This is NOT gospel- just info I have received and some of my own personal experience.

Last edited: