dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice job, though very elementary.

Most intermediate players will learn a lot from this, but I don't think you've touched much on the fine points of angle conceptualization, angle creation and stroke selection. Even when one is on the right side of the ball, there's often more than one way to get to the right place to play the next shot from, and the top pattern players are the ones who are best at identifying and selecting the optimal shot, path, and stroke. Even among pros, some are much, much, much better than others at pattern play.

That said, very nicely considered and presented as always, Dave. Well done!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice job, though very elementary.
You say "elementary," but I've talked to many very good players who didn't know or understand the 45˚ rule or the "bring the CB back along the line" principle (among others) or how to apply them.

Most intermediate players will learn a lot from this, but I don't think you've touched much on the fine points of angle conceptualization, angle creation and stroke selection. Even when one is on the right side of the ball, there's often more than one way to get to the right place to play the next shot from, and the top pattern players are the ones who are best at identifying and selecting the optimal shot, path, and stroke. Even among pros, some are much, much, much better than others at pattern play.
Agreed. Well stated.

That said, very nicely considered and presented as always, Dave. Well done!
Thanks!

Regards,
Dave

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You say "elementary," but I've talked to many very good players who didn't know or understand the 45˚ rule or the "bring the CB back along the line" principle (among others) or how to apply them.

Yup, that's why I noted that even at top pro level there are huge differences in pattern play quality. It's very apparent that there is a cross section of pros that never spent much time on this part of the game's theory.

I'm still sticking with my observation that relative to the breadth of this part of the theory, your analysis is relatively elementary, and that the fact that some pros have never bothered learning even the most basic elements of pattern play theory doesn't make it more than that.

Rest assured, I cringe at some of the pattern play I see even at pro level, and many very accomplished players would be well served to learn even the elementary aspects of pattern play.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yup, that's why I noted that even at top pro level there are huge differences in pattern play quality. It's very apparent that there is a cross section of pros that never spent much time on this part of the game's theory.

I'm still sticking with my observation that relative to the breadth of this part of the theory, your analysis is relatively elementary, and that the fact that some pros have never bothered learning even the most basic elements of pattern play theory doesn't make it more than that.

Rest assured, I cringe at some of the pattern play I see even at pro level, and many very accomplished players would be well served to learn even the elementary aspects of pattern play.
Agreed. Even top players have less-than-perfect pattern play at times.

Regards,
Dave

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this was a great video, one of the best.

Though often times I can see the patterns clearly when watching others, like I can figure out a good path for a runout, but when I get to the table I’m not always executing properly, for example choosing the wrong english. It’s almost my mind is on overload and I start drawing blanks and wind up guessing how the cue ball will react.

I recently downloaded disc 1 of VEPS and it helps understand the cueball physics. Though I see a lot of practice and patience to get to the next level. And that would probably be a high C rank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think this was a great video, one of the best.
Thanks! That's what I hope people would think after all of the time and work I put into it.

Though often times I can see the patterns clearly when watching others, like I can figure out a good path for a runout, but when I get to the table I’m not always executing properly, for example choosing the wrong english. It’s almost my mind is on overload and I start drawing blanks and wind up guessing how the cue ball will react.

I recently downloaded disc 1 of VEPS and it helps understand the cueball physics. Though I see a lot of practice and patience to get to the next level. And that would probably be a high C rank.
It is all about smart practice, working on the things you need work on. There is no way around that. I hope VEPS and my other resources help you with your journey.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anybody think I left out any important pattern-play concepts?

Thanks,
Dave

FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates and explains the Top 10 most important pattern-play principles that deal with strategy for choosing ball run-out order and position-play options:

The topics covered (with linked time-stamps) include:

- Intro [0:00]
1. Keep It Simple [0:35]
2. Leave Correct Angles [3:21]
3. Plan Three Balls Ahead [5:29]
4. Come into the Line [6:53]
---- 4a. end-game patterns [9:11]
5. Use Cushions as Brakes [10:22]
6. Pocket Balls in Groups [11:30]
7. Solve Problems Early [12:22]
8. Master the Table Center [13:13]
---- 8a. 45˚ rule [13:24]
9. Play Smart Shape [14:59]
---- 9a. play for corners instead of sides [15:08]
---- 9b. play for long-side shape [16:03]
---- 9c. bring the CB back along the line [16:52]
---- 9d. stay off the cushions [17:22]
---- 9e. keep the CB reachable [17:50]
10. Master Position Off Hangers [18:15]
- Wrap-Up [19:17]

Please check it out and let me know what you think. As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Does anybody think I left out any important pattern-play concepts?

Thanks,
Dave

At an elementary level, you covered all the basics superbly, but pattern play is so often about choosing the best of several similar available paths off an object ball, and how to choose the best one isn't dealt with much.

When I teach pattern play, I always bring a tape measure, so that I can compare the line that my student chose to the one I would have preferred. Sometimes, I'll demonstrate using my tape measure that along the path they played, there were 12 inches of good position available, while a slightly different angle offered 18 inches of good position along the path. Hence, the latter path would allow for greater error in speed control. Identifying and playing into the path that allows the most error in speed control is far from easy, but it's what the Buddy Halls, Ralf Souquets, and Wu Jiaqings did far better than all the rest, and because of it, these three made fewer position errors than any other players of the entire nine ball era.

Dave, I could easily write a 500 page book on this subject, but don't wish to. If you'd like to correspond with me on this part of the theory, PM me and give me your email address and we can do so with greater formality.

Yours, Stu

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked the video and watched it in one sitting:)

It was very well presented, and all of that information was in one video.

I will agree with Stu, that it is pretty basic stuff. Any B or better player would know all that.

I'll admit the one thing I hadn't heard of is that you can always come back with draw and outside at the shot angle. I didn't know that from a "system" standpoint. But probably standing at the table if the shot presented itself and someone asked "can you draw to here?" I'd say yes.

I don't know if/how to get across very advanced position play in an instructional video. It would probably take a Buddy Hall doing commentary on a live game.

*Edit to add, I think the video was perfect for the intended audience, which I'm assuming is beginner and intermediate players.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
At an elementary level, you covered all the basics superbly, but pattern play is so often about choosing the best of several similar available paths off an object ball, and how to choose the best one isn't dealt with much.

When I teach pattern play, I always bring a tape measure, so that I can compare the line that my student chose to the one I would have preferred. Sometimes, I'll demonstrate using my tape measure that along the path they played, there were 12 inches of good position available, while a slightly different angle offered 18 inches of good position along the path. Hence, the latter path would allow for greater error in speed control. Identifying and playing into the path that allows the most error in speed control is far from easy, but it's what the Buddy Halls, Ralf Souquets, and Wu Jiaqings did far better than all the rest, and because of it, these three made fewer position errors than any other players of the entire nine ball era.
Agreed. As demonstrated in the video, coming into the fat part of the shape zone along the line of the shot is a powerful technique.

Dave, I could easily write a 500 page book on this subject, but don't wish to. If you'd like to correspond with me on this part of the theory, PM me and give me your email address and we can do so with greater formality.
Thank you for the offer, but I already have enough on “my list” to keep me busy for a lifetime or two.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I liked the video and watched it in one sitting:)

It was very well presented, and all of that information was in one video.
Im glad to hear it. Anytime I can hold your attention for entire video, especially a long one like this, I know I must have done something right. :thumbup:

I think the video was perfect for the intended audience, which I'm assuming is beginner and intermediate players.
Thank you. You correct about the intended audience. I certainly don’t expect pros to be watching my instructional videos to get help with their game. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave