wrist snap on draw stroke- ?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The description only specifies the horizontal movement at the specific through impact moment. The bottom of the pendulum arc represents the only such moment. Of course, Bob J noted, the flex of the wrist can extend the cue travel slightly longer along that plane.
Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying.

pj
chgo

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter how hard you try you cannot significantly increase the length of time that the tip is in contact with the CB. Therefore all the information here is incorrect. While Danny was and is still a phenomenal player, his knowledge of pool physics is seriously lacking.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

This Kid Delicious zinger shot reminds me of a TAR podcast with Fransisco

https://youtu.be/6Y2qoCtdiak

One of the interviewer was trying to tell Fransisco that he had to make allowance for deflection on the cue ball, in direct contradiction of Fransisco telling him he needs to adjust his aim in the opposite direction, to counter the cb spin. Now go back and listen carefully to Delcious’s description, his action and the description involves “snapping your wrist, a little bit, at the end of the stroke.....”. Think about that. He is describing a timed stroke, an accelerated delivery through the ball. Watch the shot. His cue ends up on an angled plane touching the table bed.

During the recent World Snooker Championship, Ronnie O’Sullivan, made repeated references to his cue action.

https://youtu.be/S6em4pblhcM

This link is an interview where he talks about timing being the key. I can’t find the clip where he is air stroking his cue action, in his chair, feeling the movement and you can see his hand snapping forward through the contact phase, similar to KD. Ronnie and Stephen Lee talk about feeling the tip bite into the ball. The downward plane contact creates resistance as the ball is driven into the bed. Mike Segal mentions about using a downward angle stroke. The extended contact created adds a feel element not there on horizontal delivery.

During a post final interview he mentions the feel of penetrating the ball.

[https://youtu.be/Tb8dql4PuXA

That feel is part of what is there when he is in stroke. Players who advocate a horizontal delivery are recommending a multi-plane approach to the game. Many positions, such as any time the rail is involved, must deal with a downward cue plane at the contact point. The impact of the rail is less on a bigger table because of a larger surface. Despite that, Del Hill, World Snooker’s Honorary Coach, and several of his World Snooker Champion students, simplify the game by adopting a downward angle approach as a central principle. For them a level stroke involves extending the cue travel on a straight line based on its plane at contact. A fixed elbow can’t deliver the cue through on plane. Ronnie became one of Del’s disciples at an early age. Then Ray Reardon even increased that down plane angle by convincing Ronnie to shorten his bridge.

A downward plane contact changes how the ball deflects. Longer tip contact keeps the cue ball on the original cue force line longer because of prolonged friction based directional momentum. The normal deflection angle of applied side is blunted by the fact the ball needs to overcome cloth/table resistance first. The cue ball travels on a more cue direction friction forced path. That said the english subsequently imparted on the ball is exaggerated. Massè is an extreme example. The resistance allows the gripping penetration of the tip to impart more spin. A drag shot works on the same principle, using a lesser angle. More force can and often must be used to overcome the increased resistance, and get the desired outcome.

Relating this back to the Kid Delicious and Fransisco B shots, the takeaway is that the extra resistance generated by the downward stroke increases the spin generated throw and minimizes the deflection comparatively. Ronnie talked about moving closer to the table helped him when he was off stroke. It improved his timing. It also increases his downward plane slightly on many shots adding to the resistance feel. Eventually he made a grip adjustment, during a one hour troubleshooting session, that brought back his timing.

A horizontal delivery through contact complicates things when timing and feel is needed. It requires different adjustments for spin and deflection. Since a horizontal delivery is not possible on all shots and a downward plane is, the practitioners of Del Hill’s methods seek a different kind of consistency, with fewer adjustments.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Horizontal delivery relates to a mental construct that pendulum players imagine is theoretically ideal. The cue tip travels parallel to and above the horizontal table bed, through the contact point on the cb. As you noted it’s not feasible on many shots. This applies regardless of english.

I too, noticed that Delicious had a short final backswing. The shortened backswing forces him to engage the wrist in order to get enough force behind the shot. I think it’s his body’s adjustment to be able to strike accurately and hard. Note that he is using a loop bridge as well. Fransisco was using an open bridge and a longer stroke that reacted quicker off the contact with more speed coming from spin. Ronnie also uses an open bridge and like Fransisco uses variable length preliminary strokes then a longer final stroke. KD reverses that sequence, long preliminary strokes then a short final stroke.

whoops, glad I asked
I'm draggin' ass next to you pat and bob
but if you throw me enough rope, I'll sure try to grab some :thumbup:
thanks for the explain.

not sure how exactly it relates
but I would have loved to see bruce lee follow a pool path
"be water" on the table..not all stiff or herky-jerky
just see the shot..get down with the cue so smooth
that there is no cue..and just blow the ball into the pocket

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
No matter how hard you try you cannot significantly increase the length of time that the tip is in contact with the CB. Therefore all the information here is incorrect. While Danny was and is still a phenomenal player, his knowledge of pool physics is seriously lacking.

Scott Lee

Chalking increases this time! Which is why for draw shots, some players use too much chalk. An even but not heavy coat of chalk helps.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Nevertheless, the length of time increase is not the issue. The effect on the ball is. The combination of skid, differing speed effects over varying distance based on angle, applied force and timing offers a variety of outcomes not present with a level stroke. To claim information about these effects is incorrect, fails to understand what is truly significant. Without the prolonged contact, the swerve effect, that pj noted, never occurs. When pros like Ronnie, Bustie, Segal and Stephen L. and some of us lesser lights, can feel the difference, your definition of correctness, fails the real life experience test.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

I don't recall the Kid saying anything about tip contact time with the cb. That's not what he was showing with the quick flick of the wrist. He was demonstrating a way to develop more tip speed going into the cb, which generates more spin. He is correct about that. With practice the technique can become very reliable.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Without the prolonged contact, the swerve effect, that pj noted, never occurs. ..
You seem to be claiming that on swerve shots, the tip is in contact with the cue ball for longer than on shots without swerve.

Is that what you are claiming?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't recall the Kid saying anything about tip contact time with the cb. That's not what he was showing with the quick flick of the wrist. He was demonstrating a way to develop more tip speed going into the cb, which generates more spin. He is correct about that. With practice the technique can become very reliable.
At what speed is it required? That is, for slow speeds it is clearly not required to accomplish soft draws and such. I think that even at medium speeds -- drawing the cue ball the length of the table with the object ball close by -- wrist snap is not required and is just a complication.

When does snap become useful?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
At what speed is it required? That is, for slow speeds it is clearly not required to accomplish soft draws and such. I think that even at medium speeds -- drawing the cue ball the length of the table with the object ball close by -- wrist snap is not required and is just a complication.

When does snap become useful?

If your fast stroke is really not that fast, then a well timed snap can be very useful anytime you need more speed to generate more spin. People do it, despite it being a "complication". The thing is, it's an advanced technique that requires excellent timing and consistency, not something you teach to new players.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think using (not snapping) the wrist gives me more fine-tuned speed control at slow-to-normal speed. Am I crazy?

pj
chgo

Exactly. There are some shots that feel better with a little wrist action. And honestly that feel is more important than what's really happening. Even if the wrist action isn't needed, if it feels like it works better then by all means that's what you should do. We are not robots -- we have a certain amount of finesse that we learn to incorporate into our stroke for certain shots.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be claiming that on swerve shots, the tip is in contact with the cue ball for longer than on shots without swerve.

Is that what you are claiming?

Yes. Take the extreme. A cue delivered perpendicular to the table bed, dead center, on the cue ball, can maintain contact a long time. As the cue moves off the perpendicular the length of contact on a ball is less as the ball starts to skid first when driven towards the cloth. That resistance, logically is greater, on strokes aimed at the bed, and must be overcome before it moves. It takes time to overcome friction.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. Take the extreme. A cue delivered perpendicular to the table bed, dead center, on the cue ball, can maintain contact a long time. As the cue moves off the perpendicular the length of contact on a ball is less as the ball starts to skid first when driven towards the cloth. That resistance, logically is greater, on strokes aimed at the bed, and must be overcome before it moves. It takes time to overcome friction.
I think the argument doesn't need friction from the cloth to hold. If you elevate there will be somewhat longer contact, but that is unimportant to the action of the shot until you get up around 15-20 degrees of elevation. Then there will be slightly longer contact, and some of the forward speed that the cue ball would have had with a more horizontal is lost to the table.

But I don't think the discussion is about as much as 15-20 degrees of elevation, or is it?

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the argument doesn't need friction from the cloth to hold. If you elevate there will be somewhat longer contact, but that is unimportant to the action of the shot until you get up around 15-20 degrees of elevation. Then there will be slightly longer contact, and some of the forward speed that the cue ball would have had with a more horizontal is lost to the table.

But I don't think the discussion is about as much as 15-20 degrees of elevation, or is it?

I agree to a point. Where the thinking diverges is that there are effects at lesser elevations. Dr. Dave offers a gearing english picture using 40% of the offset creating a turn rate that simply walks along the ob surface. Less than that spin rate and the ob experiences cut induced throw. More than that rate and spin induced throw spews the ob more sideways. Gearing english is fairly consistent regardless of vertical spin. So it works for draw, follow and stun shots. It fails on drag shots though, the spin rate is higher and fails to walk along the ob surface on contact. The added force applied with the intention of having forward momentum evaporate, generates a higher than normal spin rate. The table resistance is used to get a penetrating stroke than generates a higher spin rate, yet limits speed on contact.

The high spin rate is the zinger scenario. Adding draw to the shot will allow the shooter to enjoy the benefit of using a firmer stroke, just like in a drag shot. The difference is that a softer draw stroke is possible. The cb comes back sooner than when KD does his zinger. The angle into the rail is closer to the side pocket and the spin imparts more speed because of the steeper rail angle contact. Watch how Effren is able to use that softer stroke giving the spin time to work more on rail contact.

Try this. Using a medium draw stroke action feel the resistance on contact. Now address the ball a like amount above center and using the same penetrating stroke note how the cue ball runs away on contact and the bite feel is less. Now elevate the butt slightly and address the cue ball a touch higher above center with the cue plane passing the same height above the ball core. Driving the ball even that bit towards the bed you can feel the resistance and penetrating bite that Ronnie O looks for in his cue action. You also feel it when you need to apply follow on the cue ball when shooting over a ball at less than 15 °. Try it with about 5” between the Intervening ball and cue ball directly in the way. On sharper shot planes, with balls closer, the table resistance is enough to cause the cue ball to hop slightly at fairly low power. That’s getting more into the swerve realm of elevation.

The effect on the balls is the key factor.