Best Shaft Cleaning Method

wpolkjr

The Legend Of Polk
What is the best shaft cleaning method without a lathe?

Also, what particular products should I use to get the job done.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get a high speed drill $50, lathe pin $12, cleaner $8, sealer $10, and wax $8. That is a pretty small investment to be able to clean your shaft right.

jocnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swear by Uniques shaft cleaning chemicals. Also Mr. Cleans magic eraser works well. Hope it helps.

Vincent

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uniques Shaft Cleaner

I have also found Uniques Shaft Cleaner to be outstanding after trying many other products over the past 6 years. It also seems to be "nondestructive" to the shaft, your hands and the environment...

staffi01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also found Uniques Shaft Cleaner to be outstanding after trying many other products over the past 6 years. It also seems to be "nondestructive" to the shaft, your hands and the environment...

Where can i get this products?

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
If you want a pin to use to turn all your shafts,,just go to a hardware store and get a rubber gromlet or a rubber piece that would go on the bottom of a cane, or crutches. Get one thats big enough that you can stick the joint end of your shaft in it and it fits snug enough it wont just fall off. You need it to fit tight enough so when the drill turns it it wont slip and spin around your joint collar. After you get the right size rubber piece , get a small bolt like a 5/16 or so and get it about 2 inches long and 2 washers and a nut for the bolt. Drill a hole in the rubber piece then slip the bolt with a washer in ,so the threads slip thru the hole and on the outer side of the rubber gromlet put the other washer and the nut on it , snug it together and put it on your drill and turn any shaft. Put your washers on each end just so you dont tare the rubber up so the bolt stays put. Its a quick and cheap way to make one for cleaning your shafts...Just trying to help...<< ED

ndpoulin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can I get a 3/8-10 lathe pin that will fit in a drill so I can turn my shaft... I went to lowes and they just stared at me and shrugged... Also could not find and sand paper...

Also I'm looking at atlas Billiards as was suggested earlier and not quite sure what to buy... And or how one of those lathe pins fits a drill...

Last edited:

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you couldn't find sand paper at lowes? How's that possible? did you ask?

Try a hardware store like pepboys or autozone, they always have light grit sandpaper. Don't recommend sanding your shafts though unless you really know what you're doing. Cleaners work fine.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and after they are clean

i dont let my shafts get real dirty, i clean them as i play. i take a break between sets to wash my hands, and use the damp paper towels to wipe down the shaft. clean hands makes for clean shafts

chuck

adam the dragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hope this helps you out abit.

There is a guy on ebay who sells 3 piece arbor kit with the right size pin to fit standard 3/8 drill. He has 3/8/10 5/16/14 5/16/18 as for unilock i'm not sure but you can check. just type cue parts in the search window.

That's where i got mine pins from to start with befor getting i cueman midsize lathe.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi I was reading the thread and I want to ask if it is ok to clean the shaft with alcohol

Yes, alcohol and a Magic Eraser do a pretty good job. Now, your common alcohol is 70% isopropyl, the other 30% is water. Even this amount of water will tend to raise the grain a little bit (or more, depending on the shaft). If so, be prepared to sand it down VERY lightly or at least burnish it with a piece of soft, raw leather (or brown paper towel, or a dollar bill).

I "think" isopropyl alcohol is also available in 90% (or higher) but I've not been able to find any (haven't looked outside the grocery store or drug store, either).

You can also use Methyl (Denatured) alcohol. Again it is available in both concentrations. I think it cleans a little better than isopropyl.

My 2 cents,

Gary

pool1027

Shaft cleaning

Thanks for the reply. I used surgical alcohol on my shafts yesterday and I was amazed at how well it cleaned them. Yes I did have to burnished them with a piece of leather and a very very fine sand paper.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, alcohol and a Magic Eraser do a pretty good job. Now, your common alcohol is 70% isopropyl, the other 30% is water. Even this amount of water will tend to raise the grain a little bit (or more, depending on the shaft). If so, be prepared to sand it down VERY lightly or at least burnish it with a piece of soft, raw leather (or brown paper towel, or a dollar bill).

I "think" isopropyl alcohol is also available in 90% (or higher) but I've not been able to find any (haven't looked outside the grocery store or drug store, either).

You can also use Methyl (Denatured) alcohol. Again it is available in both concentrations. I think it cleans a little better than isopropyl.

My 2 cents,

Gary

Household cleaning ammonia will give alcohol the 5 and out in cleaning a shaft with the Magic Erasure.

Dick

pool1027

I am not sure what you are saying. is it that household ammonia works better than the alcohol and the eraser