Table cloth questions

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I now have an 8' Legacy with whatever cloth came with it, in a standard green. In a couple of weeks I'll be getting a Gold Crown IV. I want to do this right. I'm conflicted between a Simonis 860 or 860HR in tournament blue, sure can see the balls. Or going with the old school Brunswick Centennial in Brunswick green, easy on the eyes.

I'm a geezer so kind of old school myself. This table is in a home. Being a nine footer there's no need to try to match up with the blue Diamonds at 7' used in SBE. I'm an 8 ball guy myself anyway and so are the geezer's I shoot with.

Aside from color what about the cloth speed? Green Simonis/Blue Brunswick?

Any hands on thoughts on this. Please give me some why's on your opinon. I want to do a pros and cons list.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I now have an 8' Legacy with whatever cloth came with it, in a standard green. In a couple of weeks I'll be getting a Gold Crown IV. I want to do this right. I'm conflicted between a Simonis 860 or 860HR in tournament blue, sure can see the balls. Or going with the old school Brunswick Centennial in Brunswick green, easy on the eyes.

I'm a geezer so kind of old school myself. This table is in a home. Being a nine footer there's no need to try to match up with the blue Diamonds at 7' used in SBE. I'm an 8 ball guy myself anyway and so are the geezer's I shoot with.

Any hands on thoughts on this. Please give me some why's on your opinon. I want to do a pros and cons list.

I have used both the 760 and the 860. Like the 860 better, and the lighter tournament blue (also have had the darker blue). I'm an old geezer too.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally don't like how 860HR plays. In 2 months I swapped it out for 860 regular. The cue ball squirts more on HR.. so when I went to a pool hall that used 860 regular i was allowing for more squirt automatically which didn't happen and it caused me to keep hitting balls right into a rail for awhile until I readjusted. It was really aggravating. After I switched back to 860 regular I had no more of those problems.

So I'd stick with 860 if I were you. It plays really well if installed properly. Like the guy above me.. I also prefer tournament blue.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Wow, that's the first and only time I've ever heard of increased squirt with the HR cloth.

Hasn't been my experience. I have the 860HR in T Blue on a GC4 and like it a lot. It most definitely is more durable in that it shows burn marks less and lasts longer. I've heard this from table mechanics as well.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you just want to play on the 8 footer, put 860 on it.
If you want to develop delicasy in your shooting skills (for safeties and accurate position control) put 760 on it.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's talking about putting it on a 9ft. Gold Crown IV

(please read for content?)

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's the first and only time I've ever heard of increased squirt with the HR cloth.

Hasn't been my experience. I have the 860HR in T Blue on a GC4 and like it a lot. It most definitely is more durable in that it shows burn marks less and lasts longer. I've heard this from table mechanics as well.

The first and only time is redundant. Do you play at a lot of different pool halls? Are you aware of what cloth they use? Do you use a lot of english to navigate the table? If you only play at one pool hall or on your own table then you wont notice a difference because you adjust automatically, but when you start traveling around and playing at many different places it becomes apparent. And the harder you hit shots the more variation you get in squirt on HR. 860HR reminds me a bit of 760. Granted there's not much of an adjust time.. maybe an hour or two to change your aim, but it is obvious once I started testing it and felt like a waste of time to keep it so I switched back to 860 regular and everything was all better. I of course factored in climate conditions dry or humid, etc. etc. and 860HR does squirt more than 860.

860HR is durable, sure it's pretty, sure it doesn't leave marks, but I prefer consistency to the area I'm playing in rather than durability... especially on a home table.

If everyone switches to HR (I hope not) then I will too and just get used to it.

It might be the first you've heard of it, but I can't really believe a lot of players haven't noticed it. I'm sure apa 5's or people that constantly talk about aiming systems wouldn't know the difference (not saying you are one) but I bet higher level players would pick up on it. They would adapt, but they would notice it.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
cubc, appreciate you pointing out my faulty grammar, I'll try to be more diligent from now on and in the future also too as well. ;) Yes, I play on 860 at numerous places and have HR on my home table. BTW, I wasn't disputing the claim of increased squirt, just that I've not experienced it myself nor heard anyone mention it before. I don't know if you would consider me a higher level player but I'm a BCA 9 in 8 Ball so some people in my league think I am, LOL.

Perhaps you can link to some other threads here where cloths have been discussed and point me to where increased squirt on HR has been cited as an issue. I'd appreciate it. I'm always open to learning new things.

Thanks.

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No difference

Went from 860 to 860HR on my 9' Brunswick and there was no discernible difference in squirt

The only real differences have seen is less burn marks on the HR

Jgar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

860 is probably the best way to go. plays fast and will still last you a very long time especially it being a home table and not being used commercially. the HR cloth is more for pool rooms/ bars etc.. and stand for "high resistency" and is intended for tables that will be played on daily in a commercial setting and probably not for residential use.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc, appreciate you pointing out my faulty grammar, I'll try to be more diligent from now on and in the future also too as well. ;)

haha I see :p

Yes, I play on 860 at numerous places and have HR on my home table. BTW, I wasn't disputing the claim of increased squirt, just that I've not experienced it myself nor heard anyone mention it before. I don't know if you would consider me a higher level player but I'm a BCA 9 in 8 Ball so some people in my league think I am, LOL.

Perhaps you can link to some other threads here where cloths have been discussed and point me to where increased squirt on HR has been cited as an issue. I'd appreciate it. I'm always open to learning new things.

Thanks.

I couldn't find any information about it either. I went nuts for a bit before switching my cloth back to 860 regular reading everything I could find, but I didn't find anything about the differences other than durability. And in going nuts I mean I thought about humidity, I even bought the same lighting with the same height off the table thinking maybe it was a perspective thing, etc. I did notice the material went from 90/10 (regular) to 70/30 (hr) or something to that effect just going off memory. When it got to the point I knew it wasn't just in my head I ended up doing a ton of shots at home a specific way, then drove to my local pool hall with 860 regular and did the same shots and went back home did it again the same day. Once I finally said to hell with it and switched back to 860 I no longer had that problem.

I kinda wish other people would start to test it too if they could. It's obviously more noticeable on longer distance shots.

Last edited:

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went from 860 to 860HR on my 9' Brunswick and there was no discernible difference in squirt

The only real differences have seen is less burn marks on the HR

i did the same switched from 860 to 860hr and i still get the burn marks and the HR plays faster but then again i had a joe blow install the 860 and he stappled it down and the HR i put was done by the real king cobra the right way glued down tight as i have ever seen plays more like 760 but as far as squirt i cant tell a difference but i kinda suck though lol

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
A word of warning on the 860HR. It is important that it is installed by someone that knows what they are doing. Too many times I have played on a table that has the 860HR on it and it is as lose as can be. The person that put it on thought they got it tight, but after a week or two it relaxed quite a bit and slowed down the balls a ton.

Get it done right the first time.

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc: Re: "First and only"

What if it was the first of more that one? But it is the only?

I don't think it is a redundant remark but was used for clarity.

Grammar Police #2

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Well, I'm another old guy. I have a GC with .... lets say well aged 760. It's about time to re-cloth the table and I'll be using regular 860.

My cloth is currently the green. One of the reasons I haven't had it done yet is because I couldn't make up my mind on the green again or the blue.

After playing at a friends house with blue, while I like it a lot, for me, it bothers my eyes. They get tired much faster than on the green. So, I'm now decided, I'm going with the green again.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm conflicted between a Simonis 860 or 860HR in tournament blue, sure can see the balls. Or going with the old school Brunswick Centennial in Brunswick green, easy on the eyes.

I'm a geezer ...

Many geezers have, or soon will have, bad eyes. The balls show up better on Simonis Tournament Blue than on any green cloth I have seen.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the thoughts and replies. AtLarge, yeah for years now I've been losing the six. I know it's out there somewhere. So... for that reason I've ordered 860 in Tourament blue. As for it bothering my eyes after a while it is so damn bright I could likely drop the wattage on my lights.