Top 10 Impressive and Easy Trick Shots Every Pool Player Should Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 Impressive and Easy Trick Shots Every Pool Player Should Know. Here it is:

The shots covered (with YouTube time-stamps) include:

1. Two Sides and Two Corners (0:29)
2. Line of Four Balls in Four Pockets (2:16)
3. Parting the Red Sea (3:03)
4. Jailed 8-ball in Any Pocket (3:32)
5. Back Kick Off Point (5:06)
6. Butterfly Shot (5:36)
7. Clearance and Chain Reaction (6:23)
8. Six Ball Combo-Kiss-Kick Magic (7:11)
9. Follow the Rail (8:05)
10. Machine Gun Ticky (8:52)
- montage of all 10 shots (9:37)

Please check it out and let me know what you think. And have fun with the shots! I did.

Enjoy,
Dave

PS: NOTE - In Shot 10, running spin is left, not right. Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great vid Dr. I knew a couple of them but did not know the set up on many of them.

Thanks

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really fun stuff.when my kids were little they thought I was a pool god because I know many of these. Hopefully they don’t see this thread!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really fun stuff.when my kids were little they thought I was a pool god because I know many of these. Hopefully they don’t see this thread!
Maybe now you can show them a few more.

The first trick shot I ever learned (I think when I was about 10 years old) was Shot 2 (Line of Four Balls in Four Pockets). I didn’t have a clue back then how to make adjustments when it didn’t work, but I remember really impressing some neighborhood friends with it once (on a rare occasion when I actually got it to work).

Regards,
Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good stuff. Thanks Dave!

The first "trick shot" I ever learned was probably the easiest as well. You put the object ball 6" away from the corner pocket on the side rail and you freeze the cue ball against it, aimed straight at the rail. Then you push the side of the cue ball directly into the object ball and make it in the corner pocket. Kids love that shot and you can teach most of them to make it, and they are thrilled.

On the other end of the scale is a shot I used to shoot for money. You balance a silver dollar on end between two pieces of chalk, on the spot. Then you shoot the silver dollar off the far end rail, and make it roll back between the two pieces of chalk. Very cool shot if you can do it. I don't know if I can anymore, haven't tried it in over 20 years.

Here's one more you might like. You put a piece of chalk in the jaws of the side pocket. You place the cue ball on the same side rail about 4-6" inches away from the pocket. Now you make the cue ball in the side pocket without disturbing the chalk?? Ha Ha, I can do it! And people love this shot! I bet Dave knows this shot.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good stuff. Thanks Dave!
Thanks Jay! You're welcome.

The first "trick shot" I ever learned was probably the easiest as well. You put the object ball 6" away from the corner pocket on the side rail and you freeze the cue ball against it, aimed straight at the rail. Then you push the side of the cue ball directly into the object ball and make it in the corner pocket. Kids love that shot and you can teach most of them to make it, and they are thrilled.
FYI, I have demonstrations of several approaches to making that shot (even a diamond away from the pocket) in NV J.31 – Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS – Bar Bets and Tricks all Pool Players Should Know starting at the 12:22 point. Check it out.

On the other end of the scale is a shot I used to shoot for money. You balance a silver dollar on end between two pieces of chalk, on the spot. Then you shoot the silver dollar off the far end rail, and make it roll back between the two pieces of chalk. Very cool shot if you can do it. I don't know if I can anymore, haven't tried it in over 20 years.
I've never tried that one before, but I've seen lots of successful videos on YouTube.

Here's one more you might like. You put a piece of chalk in the jaws of the side pocket. You place the cue ball on the same side rail about 4-6" inches away from the pocket. Now you make the cue ball in the side pocket without disturbing the chalk?? Ha Ha, I can do it! And people love this shot! I bet Dave knows this shot.
I don't know this one. Is it done with a legal shot, like jumping off the opposite cushion over the chalk ... "nothin' but net" into the pocket? I bet Venom could do that in 1-5 attempts. Or is it a gimmick shot, maybe jumping high off the opposite cushion, catching the ball in the air and dropping it in the pocket? Or maybe kicking into two angled butts that ride the CB over the chalk? Or do you use two cues to lift under the CB and roll it off the cues into the pocket?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 Impressive and Easy Trick Shots Every Pool Player Should Know. Here it is:

The shots covered (with YouTube time-stamps) include:

1. Two Sides and Two Corners (0:29)
2. Line of Four Balls in Four Pockets (2:16)
3. Parting the Red Sea (3:03)
4. Jailed 8-ball in Any Pocket (3:32)
5. Back Kick Off Point (5:06)
6. Butterfly Shot (5:36)
7. Clearance and Chain Reaction (6:23)
8. Six Ball Combo-Kiss-Kick Magic (7:11)
9. Follow the Rail (8:05)
10. Machine Gun Ticky (8:52)
- montage of all 10 shots (9:37)

Please check it out and let me know what you think. And have fun with the shots! I did.

Enjoy,
Dave

PS: NOTE - In Shot 10, running spin is left, not right. Sorry for the mistake.
I thought people would really like this video, but it is getting a lot less views than my other recent videos. Why do you guys think this is the case? I seem to be clueless when it comes to figuring out or predicting what people might like and want to watch.

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought people would really like this video, but it is getting a lot less views than my other recent videos. Why do you guys think this is the case? ...
When the subject of trick shots comes up, a lot of players have some kind of knee jerk reaction against them. "Just stupid set-up shots." They don't see the value in learning them, both in the techniques that are required for the more skillful shots and the knowledge they give about how the balls work.

When I was first learning pool, a fair amount of my time was spent with the "trick" shots in the back of Willie Mosconi's "Winning Pocket Billiards," so maybe my perspective is skewed.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When the subject of trick shots comes up, a lot of players have some kind of knee jerk reaction against them. "Just stupid set-up shots." They don't see the value in learning them, both in the techniques that are required for the more skillful shots and the knowledge they give about how the balls work.
Trick shots don't come up much (or at all) for most players. I think it's another indication of the broad usefulness of your other vids.

FWIW, I downloaded the PDF of setup diagrams.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought people would really like this video, but it is getting a lot less views than my other recent videos. Why do you guys think this is the case? I seem to be clueless when it comes to figuring out or predicting what people might like and want to watch.
When the subject of trick shots comes up, a lot of players have some kind of knee jerk reaction against them. "Just stupid set-up shots."
Shots 1-8 are more about set-up than skill, so I can see how people my be "turned off."

They don't see the value in learning them, both in the techniques that are required for the more skillful shots and the knowledge they give about how the balls work.
Agreed. There is a lot to be learned about throw, spin transfer, combos, and how tangent lines change with frozen balls.

When I was first learning pool, a fair amount of my time was spent with the "trick" shots in the back of Willie Mosconi's "Winning Pocket Billiards," so maybe my perspective is skewed.
I think your perspective is "skewed" on most things compared to others. You're smarter and play better than most. :grin-square:

Thanks for the reply,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Trick shots don't come up much (or at all) for most players. I think it's another indication of the broad usefulness of your other vids.
Thanks Pat.

FWIW, I downloaded the PDF of setup diagrams.
I'm glad to hear at least one person will benefit.

Have fun. I did. I actually learned a lot about these shots I didn't know before with all of the "tweaking" I had to do during the filming.

Catch you later,
Dave

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe now you can show them a few more.

The first trick shot I ever learned (I think when I was about 10 years old) was Shot 2 (Line of Four Balls in Four Pockets). I didn’t have a clue back then how to make adjustments when it didn’t work, but I remember really impressing some neighborhood friends with it once (on a rare occasion when I actually got it to work).

Regards,
Dave

I think that was the first one I learned. Randy Brown showed it to me in between chugging draft beers. And I was hooked!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that was the first one I learned. Randy Brown showed it to me in between chugging draft beers. And I was hooked!
I think this was the first trick shot many of us learned when we were young. Although, the "younger generation" today doesn't seem to be as familiar with it. They see too many Venom trick-shot videos on YouTube and Facebook and not enough "more practical" shots that anybody can do.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this was the first trick shot many of us learned when we were young. Although, the "younger generation" today doesn't seem to be as familiar with it. They see too many Venom trick-shot videos all over YouTube and Facebook and not enough "practical" shots that anybody can do.

Regards,
Dave

The best part of the shot was that I could set it up and do it. No stroke required. The stuff Venom is doing is outrageous, there no chance a novice can pull that off. But it is amazing to see.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Dr. Dave shows you how to do it, and all you need is invest time, and practice. Then you can clone each shot.

Great U-tubes.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The stuff Venom is doing is outrageous, there no chance a novice can pull that off. But it is amazing to see.
Agreed. They are tough to pull off, but they are awesome to watch.

Regards,
Dave