CHALK TEST - Taom Pyro vs. Master

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video documenting chalk performance tests I did with Taom Pyro. Check it out:

Tests performed [with timestamp links] include:
1 – Number of Hits Before a Miscue [1:00]
2 – Miscue Limit [2:10]
3 – Cling / Skid / Kick [2:43]
-- 3a - cling shot examples [2:56]
-- 3b - throw effects [3:33]
-- 3c - chalk cling tests [4:29]
4 – Chalk Persistence on the Tip [5:56]
Summary of Results [6:47]

Honestly, I was a little surprised by some of the results. As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video documenting chalk performance tests I did with Taom Pyro.
You conclude that Taom Pyro leaves the least residue on the CB - an important plus. But is there a tradeoff, maybe that it also sticks less to the tip, or that it flies off the tip more?

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You conclude that Taom Pyro leaves the least residue on the CB - an important plus. But is there a tradeoff, maybe that it also sticks less to the tip, or that it flies off the tip more?
That's what I thought also, but it persists on the tip fairly well, per my "# of hits before miscue" and "chalk on the tip" persistence tests. If you haven't done so yet, watch the entire video.

Honestly, I was very surprised by the Taom chalk persistence tests, especially since it doesn't seem to go on the tip as easily either.

Regards,
Dave

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your analysis and assessment since nowadays there are so many choices for chalk.

Matt B.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I will stay with Master chalk- very happy with my game right now- why upset the apple cart. Straight old fashioned maple shafts and master chalk- just not interested in anything else, I don't need to add another variable to my game- worked so hard on consistency and I feel like I am where I want to be at this late stage.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan was asked after a match about the chalk he was using. He had to reach into his vest pocket and pull it out. His answer was something like ‘Masters’. He mentioned that he usually used Triangle but just nicked whatever was around.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Chalk is quite simple, Master Green works well IMHO.

Wheel is not in need of reinvention.

Want to come up with a GREAT POOL ACCESSOEY, Clone the Hagger Cue Extension IMHO.

Sell it user $20.00 like Hagger did make a killing.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I will stay with Master chalk- very happy with my game right now- why upset the apple cart. Straight old fashioned maple shafts and master chalk- just not interested in anything else, I don't need to add another variable to my game- worked so hard on consistency and I feel like I am where I want to be at this late stage.
I have also always used Master chalk, and cling/skid/kick doesn’t happen frequently enough for most amateur players like me to worry about; but if I were a top pro playing straight pool (where you can’t wipe or clean the CB while playing) I would surely use the chalk with the least chances for cling/skid/kick.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan was asked after a match about the chalk he was using. He had to reach into his vest pocket and pull it out. His answer was something like ‘Masters’. He mentioned that he usually used Triangle but just nicked whatever was around.
I also use Master chalk, so shouldn’t I be able to play as well as he does? :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although it is not explicit, under WPA rules, the ref cleans balls on request.
If I were good enough to play at a level where cling/skid/kick was a huge factor, and if I were playing in a tournament with a dedicated ref and money on the line, I would probably ask for the CB to be cleaned often (especially if my opponent or I were using chalks that stick to the CB).

Regards,
Dave

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I use the Taom Pyro for one reason that has nothing to do with performance...it is the one chalk that doesn't get on my hands. Obviously it also doesn't get on the cue ball which is another plus. It does stay on the tip pretty well.

The only negative I've found...and I'm curious if this is the case for anyone else....it doesn't seem to want to stay on the edges of my tip where I need it most. It's so strange that it only gets knocked off the edges.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also always used Master chalk, and cling/skid/kick doesn’t happen frequently enough for most amateur players like me to worry about; but if I were a top pro playing straight pool (where you can’t wipe or clean the CB while playing) I would surely use the chalk with the least chances for cling/skid/kick.

Regards,
Dave

Well, I do play a lot of 14.1. so did many great 14.1 players from 1930 to 2000 and if they could all run hundreds and not complain - why should I? I just don't believe in making excuses for a miss, not my cue, not my chalk, just me if I miss.

I remember in the 1989 US OPEN 14.1 DiLiberto opened up against Varner with a 70 ball run, when he missed the next ball to end the run he yelled out"that skidded" - he ended up losing the match as Varner had two runs of 60+ in that match. Those who make excuses show weakness and a lack of class. I know that some may say "why not use the most proven chalk"? My answer would be because Master chalk is already proven- to me at least.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I just don't believe in making excuses for a miss, not my cue, not my chalk, just me if I miss.

I remember in the 1989 US OPEN 14.1 DiLiberto opened up against Varner with a 70 ball run, when he missed the next ball to end the run he yelled out"that skidded" - he ended up losing the match as Varner had two runs of 60+ in that match....
What should DiLiberto done to have avoided the skid? Where did he go wrong?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forget what YouTube match I was watching and who the pro that was commentating on the match but I will never forget what was mentioned about the chalk being used. ANd the pro said he would use nothing other than Taom because it kept everything so much cleaner. Nothing about skids only about how clean the table ,balls, and hands were.

With that being said, I would never spend $20 on chalk even if I can can afford it. I would even guess they could make more profit if they lowered the price and sold more quantity.

Sometimes I get more out of the stories and comments during a match than the actual video of the game.