BANK and KICK Effects and Aiming ADJUSTMENTS

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating bank and kick shot effects and aiming adjustments. Whether or not you use mirror and diamond systems, you will not be very effective aiming banks and kicks if you don’t know or have a solid feel for how to make adjustments when necessary. Check it out:

Topics covered [with timestamp links] include:
Intro [0:00]
1 - Speed [0:35]
2 - Top/Bottom Spin [1:55]
---- 2a - stiffen a kick [2:45]
---- 3b - cushion compression and kick bend [3:29]
3 - Sidespin [4:19]
---- 3a - angle and drag effects [5:08]
4 - Transferred Sidespin [6:44]
---- 4a - cut-induced spin [7:19]
---- 4b - gearing outside spin [7:50]
---- 4c - twisting a bank with spin transfer [8:38]
5 - Double Kisses [10:19]
---- 5a - detection and avoidance [10:44]
---- 5b - double-kiss bank shot [11:43]
Summary [12:31]
---- table conditions adjustments [12:50]
---- video montage of video shots [13:30]

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video, thanks. Question: Slow speed only influences bank angle up to the point where the ball is rolling naturally when it hits the rail, isn’t that right? If you hit the ball just slow enough that the object ball is rolling naturally when it hits the rail, then hitting slower than that won’t open up or lengthen out the bank any more?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice video, thanks.
Thank you ... and you're welcome.

Question: Slow speed only influences bank angle up to the point where the ball is rolling naturally when it hits the rail, isn’t that right? If you hit the ball just slow enough that the object ball is rolling naturally when it hits the rail, then hitting slower than that won’t open up or lengthen out the bank any more?
The short answer is: No ... not enough to be important in a practical sense.

The long answer is: Yes ... a small amount at various slow speeds, and it depends on conditions. With a really soft cushion and new/slick cloth, speed changes can shift the rebound direction slightly. Also, the CB rebound trajectory bends differently at different speeds. A really slow CB curves forward due to the topspin immediately after rebound; but with more speed, the curve forward is delayed. Lots of good examples of this effect are demonstrated in this video:

Here are videos related to the first effect, showing how fast speed can actually lengthen a bank, but this depends on conditions:

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched my video again and noticed that I said something that is incorrect. Can you find the error?

Regards,
Dave

FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating bank and kick shot effects and aiming adjustments. Whether or not you use mirror and diamond systems, you will not be very effective aiming banks and kicks if you don’t know or have a solid feel for how to make adjustments when necessary. Check it out:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll give you a hint. The error is in Section 4.

Let's see who can spot it first
this?
https://youtu.be/11iSqkJjWgM?t=508
at 8:28
You got it. Good job being first.

Here is the correction I actually already had posted in the video description (although, I doubted anyone would have seen it there):

CORRECTION:
- at the 8:29 point, I said the following: "With an inside cut, the only option is to adjust the aim." This is not true. You can also use gearing outside spin with an inside cut, assuming it is appropriate based on CB control requirements.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... "the only option" ...?
It's not the first time I've made a mistake in a video ... and it's probably not the last. When I said it, I think I was thinking of "inside spin" (with no "gearing" possible) instead of "inside cut" ... hence the error.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This video is getting a lot fewer views on YouTube than I expected. Why do you guys think this is the case? I really thought people would like this one, but I've been wrong about this sort of thing in the past (even though I am sometime wrong about being wrong). Is it mostly the COVID thing?

Regards,
Dave

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This video is getting a lot fewer views on YouTube than I expected. Why do you guys think this is the case? I really thought people would like this one, but I've been wrong about this sort of thing in the past (even though I am sometime wrong about being wrong). Is it mostly the COVID thing?
Maybe if you previewed descriptions of a lesson or two from it...?

pj <- whet their appetites...
chgo
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you suggesting I should first post a short trailer-like clip announcing the exciting things one can learn in an upcoming video? Or are you suggesting I post written descriptions of some of the things that can be learned from an upcoming or already-posted video? I can do written descriptions on Facebook and AZB, but not on YouTube (except in the YouTube video description, which very few people seem to look at). Most of my video views are from my YouTube subscribers. The second biggest group of viewers are other YouTube users who click on my video when it is recommended by YouTube (based on related YouTube videos they view).

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you suggesting I should first post a short trailer-like clip announcing the exciting things one can learn in an upcoming video? Or are you suggesting I post written descriptions of some of the things that can be learned from an upcoming or already-posted video? I can do written descriptions on Facebook and AZB, but not on YouTube (except in the YouTube video description, which very few people seem to look at). Most of my video views are from my YouTube subscribers. The second biggest group of viewers are other YouTube users who click on my video when it is recommended by YouTube (based on related YouTube videos they view).

Regards,
Dave
I was thinking a written "preview" description or two of lessons on the video you're talking about, posted here on AzB and/or on YouTube.

You know better than I do whether or not that can work...

pj
chgo

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why you are getting less views, but love the video. I love the way you present things in the videos and I have gained so much knowledge from your videos and websites. Thanks for everything.