Picture of pockets

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone please post a picture of a couple of Gold Crown 1 and Gold Crown II pockets which would be used in their ball return system. If you could put them up on a surface so I can see the detail, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thank you, Sir! Are there any pictures out there of the original Brunswick pockets?

If I recall correctly the only difference between the pockets in the pictures and my original GCI pockets is that mine are a dark grey instead of black.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If I recall correctly the only difference between the pockets in the pictures and my original GCI pockets is that mine are a dark grey instead of black.

The pockets from 8th-Zone are much bigger. If installing on a Gold Crown I, II, or III, it helps to cut larger pocket reliefs in the frame. Even still, the side pockets will likely require trimming, to allow a ball to freely pass through it. This is because the earlier Gold Crowns had a sloped pocket cut-out in the slate.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets from 8th-Zone are much bigger. If installing on a Gold Crown I, II, or III, it helps to cut larger pocket reliefs in the frame. Even still, the side pockets will likely require trimming, to allow a ball to freely pass through it. This is because the earlier Gold Crowns had a sloped pocket cut-out in the slate.

Do the 8th Zone Return Pockets touch the apron brackets on GCI's like their drop pockets do?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures of the authentic Gold Crown 1, 2, or 3 pockets out on a table....anybody?

bradsh98

Silver Member
Pictures of the authentic Gold Crown 1, 2, or 3 pockets out on a table....anybody?

Specifically, what details are you looking for? The size? Openings? The top lip? The stitching where the two pieces join?

I have several sets of old Gold Crown I and II pockets, and maybe even a couple of sets of Gold Crown III pockets.

If I know what you are hoping to see, I'll try to capture some photos.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Specifically, what details are you looking for? The size? Openings? The top lip? The stitching where the two pieces join?

I have several sets of old Gold Crown I and II pockets, and maybe even a couple of sets of Gold Crown III pockets.

If I know what you are hoping to see, I'll try to capture some photos.

Thanks Geoff,

Knowing you have both, I need to see if there is any difference between the boss, the location of the stitching, the color of the shiney molded boot, the color of the molded insert, and the stock numbers ink-stamped on the upper backs of the inserts.

Do you know if the stock numbers on the GC 1/2 and GC 3 both begin with the number "7"?

Where is the significant difference in the structure of the GC 1/2 vs. GC 3 pockets? In other words, can they be altered to become interchangeable?

Thank you very much.

bradsh98

Silver Member
Thanks Geoff,

Knowing you have both, I need to see if there is any difference between the boss, the location of the stitching, the color of the shiney molded boot, the color of the molded insert, and the stock numbers ink-stamped on the upper backs of the inserts.

Do you know if the stock numbers on the GC 1/2 and GC 3 both begin with the number "7"?

Where is the significant difference in the structure of the GC 1/2 vs. GC 3 pockets? In other words, can they be altered to become interchangeable?

Thank you very much.

I will try to pick out some of the best looking ones that I have, and see if I can get photos of the details that you are looking for.

I've never actually paid attention to the stock numbers. I'll check it out, when I dig through them.

I don't know exactly when the pocket design changed from two pieces stitched together to a single molded piece, though I believe that it was during the Gold Crown I production. During the Gold Crown III production, the pockets had been thinned out quite a bit, and, despite being a hard plastic, were much more flexible than previous designs.

On all Gold Crown I, II, and III pockets, I believe the bosses all look about the same, enough so that it might be difficult to discern any difference from a photo.

From my experience, interchangeability between Gold Crown I, II, and III pockets requires no alteration. However, the Gold Crown IV pockets will require some adjustment.

Anyhow, I'll get the photos that you requested. I'll try to get to it this evening.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try to pick out some of the best looking ones that I have, and see if I can get photos of the details that you are looking for.

I've never actually paid attention to the stock numbers. I'll check it out, when I dig through them.

I don't know exactly when the pocket design changed from two pieces stitched together to a single molded piece, though I believe that it was during the Gold Crown I production. During the Gold Crown III production, the pockets had been thinned out quite a bit, and, despite being a hard plastic, were much more flexible than previous designs.

On all Gold Crown I, II, and III pockets, I believe the bosses all look about the same, enough so that it might be difficult to discern any difference from a photo.

From my experience, interchangeability between Gold Crown I, II, and III pockets requires no alteration. However, the Gold Crown IV pockets will require some adjustment.

Anyhow, I'll get the photos that you requested. I'll try to get to it this evening.

What adjustments would the GC IV pockets need to fit the GCI? Opening the pocket cutouts on the frame?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

bradsh98

Silver Member
What adjustments would the GC IV pockets need to fit the GCI? Opening the pocket cutouts on the frame?

That would be helpful, though not completely necessary. The side pockets are the most critical. With the sloped edge pocket cut-outs in the slate, it tends to deform the Gold Crown IV pockets. Really, the only solution is to trim the new pocket, to enlarge the outlet. I like trimming it on the bottom-side of the pocket, to preserve as much material as possible, on the top-side.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be helpful, though not completely necessary. The side pockets are the most critical. With the sloped edge pocket cut-outs in the slate, it tends to deform the Gold Crown IV pockets. Really, the only solution is to trim the new pocket, to enlarge the outlet. I like trimming it on the bottom-side of the pocket, to preserve as much material as possible, on the top-side.

Thanks, Geoff!

bradsh98

Silver Member
Here is one set of pockets, from an early Gold Crown 1. I have not yet had a chance to photograph others, though I will make an effort to do so this week.

Attachments

• 20200717_134900.jpg
    20200717_134900.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 20200717_134906.jpg
    20200717_134906.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 218
  • 20200717_134909.jpg
    20200717_134909.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20200717_134932(0).jpg
    20200717_134932(0).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 20200717_135006.jpg
    20200717_135006.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 195

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is one set of pockets, from an early Gold Crown 1. I have not yet had a chance to photograph others, though I will make an effort to do so this week.

Geoff,

That's it! Thank you very much.

OK, the stock numbers on the Gold Crown 1/2 as shown all start with E-74xxx and the location(head, foot, etc.)

What are the stock numbers on the pockets you have identified as Gold Crown 3 pockets?

I appreciate your help very much.

Boxcar