2018 WPA World 9 Ball

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They drag the hell out of this tournament. Nothing on Thursday but a Draw. Friday, one match. Saturday one match. Today no match if you won the previous two days; loser side, one match.

Looks like tomorrow two matches. Then Tuesday is a day off. Then two matches Wednesday. Then semi & finals on Thursday. ...

Yes, it's absurd taking 7 or 8 days to go from 128 players to a winner, with the last 64 players in single elimination. And the WPA blesses this? I just checked on why no play Tuesday. It's "National Day," an annual public holiday -- "Commemoration of Qatars [sic] unification under Sultan Jassim."

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last match starting time on the 6 days of play:

7 pm, 4 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, 3 pm, 3 pm

Apparently they don't like "working" late.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Country most impressively represented in the last 64.....Taiwan....11 ...out of 12 entered.
The whole Ko family made it.

Second is Poland...with 7
Japan and Philippines next at 5

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is John Morra still playing with his opposite hand due to a bad shoulder? I vaguely remember he had done this, but not sure if he continued doing so.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPA is CLUELESS. This has to be the worst promoted event on the planet. I msg'd them on FB about streaming and all i got was some smart-ass reply from some moron Brit. Someone streamed it last year but it was some independent dude not the WPA. For a "World Championship" this whole deal comes across as decidedly low-rent.

Garczar.... Hello sir I was wondering if u wanted to play some this week? I'm in Joplin working and done Tuesday so I'll be coming through T Town wed if u wanna play !

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom half of draw is much tougher than top half
Highly likely it will be a new winner this year. In last 14 years (12 times as for 2 years it was not held ) no one has won it twice and there has been new winner every year.
Pool is much more competitive these days with so many good players. Around 20 players can win this whole thing.

:D

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Appleton said on facebook that they screwed the draw up. The bottom half is much tougher, and he said they were supposed to put 1 loss guys up against undefeated players and failed to do so. It's single elim from here out anyway, but if there were draw rules they were supposed to follow and didn't that's pretty amateurish.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hi all,

I'm sure I've brought this up before, but I edit cue sport articles on Wikipedia.

I've been trying to update the article for this event, and I've added some information on the tournament brackets - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_WPA_World_Nine-ball_Championship

I've only seen a little bit of the tournament (I was busy watching the Scottish Open snooker), so could someone give me some information as to what's been happening in the tournament? I saw Thorsten was out, but I'd like to write some more prose about the event.

One of the main issues with cue sports coverage on wikipedia is the lack of bios for players. If anyone fancies helping with wikipedia related information, please let me know! It would even be great just to have the bios that already exist on the German Wikipedia.

Thank you for your time. The tournament seems to be going well.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New drinking game.

Do a shot every time the ref walks over to shake the loser's hand, and then turns around and walks the other way.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two Finnish Players in 32-cup. Makkonen and Matikainen.
GOOOO FINLAND!!

I am not surprised because I play against these guys.
Makkonen spanks me on tournaments and Matikainen on gambling matches.

Makkonen played last 4 matches against me without single error. TPA 1.000
14.1 to 75 points, 75 and out from my break. Later same tournament we played again in 16-cup and he made 84 and safe and after he got another chance he ran out.

Open nineball tournament Semis he destroyed me 8-1. Alternative break and he made run out from all his breaks and clearance from my empties or misses.

On last 8-ball Finnish Champs we were again on 16-cup. I was breaking really good but got really unlucky breaks and ended up couple empty breaks. He made run out from all his breaks and clearance from mine.

Matikaiinen told me he played 2 best nights versus me when we doing 8h gambling matches 10-ball.
I counted afterwards that he had over 60% run out ratio. That is sick. I did not lose too much because I took couple matches on 2 visits too. matches were: Winner breaks, races to 6, 10-ball around 8 hours.

I ffrmly believe either one could go really far!

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw. They messed up the Draw.
Example. Makkonen and Ignasio were both coming from loser side and were playing against the other. :D

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The sterile environment of this tournament unnerves me. There is no light music in the background and it sounds like spectators (probably not many in Qatar as it is) may not even be allowed in the room. If I was a player I don't think I'd like it to be THAT quiet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk