How is Mike Sigel NOT in Straight Pool Hall of Fame?

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw who was in and for Sigel not to be in is a crime and seriously diminishes the veracity of the HoF.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's in the BCA HOF. '89. Didn't know there was a SP HOF. As a 2-time champ he sure should be in it.

Just like there is a one pocket hall of fame. I think Charlie Williams may have started it. But if you advertise a straight pool hall of fame and then don't include, arguably, one of the best ever, how do you expect people to care?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like there is a one pocket hall of fame. I think Charlie Williams may have started it. But if you advertise a straight pool hall of fame and then don't include, arguably, one of the best ever, how do you expect people to care?
I just sent them a msg. See if they respond.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
1980s, and through mid 1990s, nobody better at straight pool than Mike Sigel. Enough said.

All the best,
WW

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
14.1 HOF and 14.1 event?????

Mike Sigel is in the real Hall Of Fame the BCA not the fake HOF that Charlie Williams made up to support the Fake World 14.1 events he puts on each year. I don't know how he hasn't nominated himself yet really. What about Willie Mosconi and Wimpy Lassiter and Irving Crane and Jimmy Caras? How does anybody get nominated as there is no election board or public voting its all Charlies decisions.
I really would want to see someone takeover the event and HOF so it can be run right with a full field of quality players without hand selected and placing of the players in certain brackets and actually make it an event that the Champion gets an official World title for winning it. Charlie uses the name World a lot in the event but its NOT a world Championship. Mark Griffin or anyone else willing to find a way to get that World Championship trophy away from Charlie and get this event officially sanctioned to be a World Championship id be willing to contribute on my end to help out.
There are so many players that wont play for so many reasons. I don't really see Charlie getting support next year from enough players to have event but could be wrong. Wouldn't everyone want to see a Real World 14.1 Championship start up again. Its a great game and could easily get a full field of 64 players done properly.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel aka Captain Hook , DoB - July11, 1953

HOF x BCA - Hall of Fame by Billiard Congress of America

Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just saw who was in and for Sigel not to be in is a crime and seriously diminishes the veracity of the HoF.

I saw mike run 150 and out at the 1992 US OPEN straight pool championship
in New York at the Roosevelt hotel . He graciously chatted with a bunch of us
spectators after the match.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I saw mike run 150 and out at the 1992 US OPEN straight pool championship
in New York at the Roosevelt hotel . He graciously chatted with a bunch of us
spectators after the match.

That would have been against Mike Zuglan, another great player.

All the best,
WW

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
That would have been against Mike Zuglan, another great player.

All the best,
WW

Yep, I think in his next match against Ray Martin Zuglan ran 148, got out of line, and missed a combination.

Sigel's 150-and-out against Zuglan is the smoothest 150 and out I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Zuglan ran his 148 against Ray Martin. Sigel was playing West next for Winners side final.
The '92 14.1 at the Roosevelt was great.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Zuglan ran his 148 against Ray Martin. Sigel was playing West next for Winners side final.
The '92 14.1 at the Roosevelt was great.

That is definitely right. I have a DVD of that match. He also ran 109 against Cisero Murphy in the previous match and 109 and out against Ortmann in an earlier match. It was a great tournament. Archer ran 150 & out against Carter and Miz ran 134(?) and out in his first match of the tournament but I don't remember who against. Anyone?

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yep, I think in his next match against Ray Martin Zuglan ran 148, got out of line, and missed a combination.

Sigel's 150-and-out against Zuglan is the smoothest 150 and out I've ever seen.

Correct on both counts. Sigel got out of line a bit where he had to break up a couple balls on the upper right hand cushion on the camera angle. That was tricky, other than that, smooth. Zuglan's 148 was also great.

All the best,
WW

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Sigel is in BCA HoF. Varner is in Straight Pool HoF and BCA HoF. If this "Hall of Fame" wants to hold any credence, Sigel should be in. I was asked to nominate someone, but I guess it fell upon deaf ears.

Sigel also ran 150 and out against Rempe in 1989. There was no commentary and I asked Pat Fleming to put in on DVD and have Sigel do a player review. He said there wasn't enough interest. Oh well.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I know Sigel is in BCA HoF. Varner is in Straight Pool HoF and BCA HoF. If this "Hall of Fame" wants to hold any credence, Sigel should be in. I was asked to nominate someone, but I guess it fell upon deaf ears.

Sigel also ran 150 and out against Rempe in 1989. There was no commentary and I asked Pat Fleming to put in on DVD and have Sigel do a player review. He said there wasn't enough interest. Oh well.

That 150 and out by Sigel against Rempe started very interestingly.

IIRC, Rempe ran a few balls after the break, then just missed getting shape. He played safe putting the cueball near the bottom cushion underneath the stack, but left just a sliver of an opening for Sigel to cut a ball into the side pocket.

That's all it took, as Sigel ran 150 and out from there.

I would have purchased a DVD of that match with Sigel's commentary in a heartbeat.