Which is better for a cue case - cloth dividers or oval holes ?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I have always like the oval holes in a pool case and ones that have the spring loaded bottoms. But I see a lot of cases , even high end price ones that have the strips or cloth dividers. One of my good Friends is a dealer also and he told me that he thinks the strips do not offer as good as protection as the holes but I have to think that over because it would seem the cloth dividers would make the cue more snug and not as much movement in the case. I have seen cases from $50 -500 with these dividers and the same for the oval holes. Which one do you prefer and why. I am looking at a case I like the look of but has the cloth dividers and not the holes , but the rest of my cases have always had holes due to his advice. Thanks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like the strips of cloth....I feel they are better protection against moisture.

BamaFan

I have a 3 x 6 hard case with round holes which I like except that it doesn't have a lot of room for all of my stuff, so I am considering a soft case with more room and cloth dividers.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can hear your cues rattle when you shake the case you might have the wrong one.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I prefer a case treatment that holds the cues as securely as possible without any movement inside.

-dj

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I have always like the oval holes in a pool case and ones that have the spring loaded bottoms. But I see a lot of cases , even high end price ones that have the strips or cloth dividers. One of my good Friends is a dealer also and he told me that he thinks the strips do not offer as good as protection as the holes but I have to think that over because it would seem the cloth dividers would make the cue more snug and not as much movement in the case. I have seen cases from $50 -500 with these dividers and the same for the oval holes. Which one do you prefer and why. I am looking at a case I like the look of but has the cloth dividers and not the holes , but the rest of my cases have always had holes due to his advice. Thanks
By "oval" do you mean like a Fellini-style? I've owned various styles/brands over 40yrs and have never had a cue not be protected. My current case is a J&J with spring-loaded tubes. Have had it about 10yrs and so far its worked perfectly. If i was to buy a new case i'd get a JB 3/6 Rugged Butterfly. I've always liked that style of case.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are concerned with safety first, JB Cases are the way to go. I have quite a few other cases that the cues rattle around a bit.

I have another case that someone here made a long time ago and I am sorry I foget his name but it is a really nice secure case as well.