Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the highest run on a table with 4.5” pockets is? Charles
Competition or practice?

4.5x9 or some other size?

Witnessed or rumored?

Recorded or just witnessed?

You may want to consider Joshua Filler's 285 at the 2019 DCC 14.1 Challenge. It was on a 4.5x9 Diamond with 4.5" corner pockets. There is video of it. It was done under official rules -- "all ball fouls" -- although it was not a match.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've tried to get information a few times on Thomas Engert's run of 491 on a 9-foot table -- when, where, table details, spectators, etc.? sfleinen provided some good info a few months ago. Based on a now-gone Engert website, and a conversation with him at an early Dragon 14.1 event, Sean said it was "a Dynamic-II table with tour-cut pockets." But I still don't know the actual pocket size.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Competition or practice?

4.5x9 or some other size?

Witnessed or rumored?

Recorded or just witnessed?

You may want to consider Joshua Filler's 285 at the 2019 DCC 14.1 Challenge. It was on a 4.5x9 Diamond with 4.5" corner pockets. There is video of it. It was done under official rules -- "all ball fouls" -- although it was not a match.

9’
Recorded

I did watch the Filler run. He plays fast. I also watched a high run by Chris Melling also.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried to get information a few times on Thomas Engert's run of 491 on a 9-foot table -- when, where, table details, spectators, etc.? sfleinen provided some good info a few months ago. Based on a now-gone Engert website, and a conversation with him at an early Dragon 14.1 event, Sean said it was "a Dynamic-II table with tour-cut pockets." But I still don't know the actual pocket size.

491 on pro cut pockets would be amazing to me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I believe this to be the answer.. Engert's run, which was over fifteen years ago, of 491, which I, too, discussed with him, was not on silly tight equipment, but was on 4 1/2" pockets. Terms like tour-cut and pro-cut pockets need to be dismissed as their meaning changes with time.

Engert, a many time winner of the European Straight Pool Championships, was a world beater. He played a bit below Oliver Ortmann, but was certainly comparable to any other European straight pooler off his day.

The tail end of Engert's career coincided with the beginning of that of Thorsten Hohmann, and they had a memorable clash in the finals of the 2006 WPA Sanctioned World 14.1 Championships, which was won by Hohmann.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this to be the answer.. Engert's run, which was over fifteen years ago, of 491, which I, too, discussed with him, was not on silly tight equipment, but was on 4 1/2" pockets. Terms like tour-cut and pro-cut pockets need to be dismissed as their meaning changes with time.

Engert, a many time winner of the European Straight Pool Championships, was a world beater. He played a bit below Oliver Ortmann, but was certainly comparable to any other European straight pooler off his day.

The tail end of Engert's career coincided with the beginning of that of Thorsten Hohmann, and they had a memorable clash in the finals of the 2006 WPA Sanctioned World 14.1 Championships, which was won by Hohmann.

491 on 4.5” pockets is mind blowing to me.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
EPBF pro cut pockets are 11.5 cm. which is 4.5"

11.5 mm = 4.53"

Were the EPBF specs the same back when Engert ran his 491? Do you know what year that was?

I found the "2018 EPBF Sports Regulations" document, and it says: "The sports equipment must meet the specifications listed in the EPBF Specifications Catalogue ..." http://europeanpocketbilliardfedera...3/EPBF-Sports-Regulations-2018-v-02.01.18.pdf

So then I found the EPBF "Equipment Specification Catalogue," version 01.03.2017, and on the Tables pages it just lists tables that are "recognized" -- maker and model -- but says nothing about pocket specs. http://europeanpocketbilliardfedera...ipment-Specification-Cataloque-01.03.2017.pdf

Most, but not all, of that EPBF spec catalog repeats what's in the WPA Equipment Specifications document. But the WPA document, unlike the EPBF document, has a section on pocket openings and measurements. The WPA spec for a corner pocket mouth is 4.5" to 4.625". Maybe all of the EPBF "recognized" tables follow the WPA specs?

Edit -- I just found the 2019 version of the "EPBF Sports Regulations" document, and it is a bit different from the one for 2018. The 2019 one says "The sports equipment must meet the specifications listed in the Apendexx 1, ...", but I haven't found that appendix. I wonder if it actually gives specs rather than just listing recognized makes and models. http://europeanpocketbilliardfedera...s/2019/03/EPBF-Sports-Regulations-v.-2019.pdf

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A thread was started in 2006 in which the question was posed: Was Engert's run on a 9 x 4 1/2 more impressive than Mosconi's 526 on an 8 footer?

I'm only guessing here but I think Engert's run came in about 2003, so it wasn't old news at the time of this thread, and it's no too far fetched to believe that the poster who began this thread saw the run. Not exactly proof, but one small piece of evidence supporting the claim of 4 1/2" pockets.

Here it is:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=36791