No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alleluia.......IMO, even a little tighter than 4.5”....... preferably 4 1/4 or 4 3/8 seems ideal.
Now stretch that table to play 112” long instead of a 100” (9’ table) & 56” wide ‘stead of 50”
That’s a table that will distinguish & differentiate the wannabes from the really better players.

Glad to see the voting illustrates players prefer harder tables than ones with bigger pockets.
There is less slop so handicaps seem more equitable with tougher pockets too.....a big plus.

In golf, better players want to compete on the toughest courses but hi handicappers not so much.
Pool is the same, maybe it isn’t. Personally speaking, I enjoy & prefer playing on tough pool tables.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make your own Poll and find out! :)

Trent from Toledo

p.s. IMO it would prove even further that: MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO PLAY ON BIG POCKETS, you rowdy ole snake! Always stirring the pot!! At least you ain't smokin it!! HAHAAHAHAHHA

Thought you said it was players, not people? Try to stay on topic, please.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you suggesting the premise of the poll is flawed at best, and misleading if not untrue at worst? If you are, I tend to agree. There are 43551 members here at AZB. Approximately 2317 members have viewed the "poll" and only 86 members seem to support the poll's premise. It's just not honest to say "most people" support the premise, is it?

The views are not the amount of members who viewed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There are some downsides to big pockets....there’s room for other things...:eek:

E6AE7562-C59D-47A2-AD41-B18C898FA0EA.jpeg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
@Real King Cobra
@Trent from Toledo
@Anyone else

What size pockets on a 7' foot table(let's say a Diamond) would you say would make the game somewhat comparable in difficulty to a 6'x12' snooker table?

Maybe you guys could put in lamens terms because I know there are many other factors at play, most of which I am probably too stupid to understand.

Something like 2 3/4" corners and 3 1/4" sides, 3" corners 3 1/2" sides?

Curious what is the smallest size pockets(on a pool table) you two have seen in your years of doing this?

Doing the math....

On a 12 x 6 snooker table with 3.5" corner pockets, the margin of error for an ob sitting in the center of the table is +/- 0.5°. In order for an ob sitting on the center spot of a diamond barbox to have the same margin of error, the corner pockets would have to be 3.0".

Numbers used: Center spot to corner pocket on snooker table is 76". Snooker ball 2.07" diameter. Pool table center spot to corner is 44.7". Pool ball is 2.25" diameter.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing the math....

On a 12 x 6 snooker table with 3.5" corner pockets, the margin of error for an ob sitting in the center of the table is +/- 0.5°. In order for an ob sitting on the center spot of a diamond barbox to have the same margin of error, the corner pockets would have to be 3.0".

Numbers used: Center spot to corner pocket on snooker table is 76". Snooker ball 2.07" diameter. Pool table center spot to corner is 44.7". Pool ball is 2.25" diameter.
That would be one brutal bar-box. I'm sure Trent would sell a ton of them based on his poll. ;)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing the math....

3" pockets? Lol.... not me. I would like to see bar boxes go to 4". IMO, that would be the sweet spot. Not to tight for the average player but, tight enough for the advanced players....:thumbup:

But, 3".....I would have to resort to marbles.

Jeff

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3" pockets? Lol.... not me. I would like to see bar boxes go to 4". IMO, that would be the sweet spot. Not to tight for the average player but, tight enough for the advanced players....:thumbup:

But, 3".....I would have to resort to marbles.

Jeff

Ouch 4"
The only game I find enjoyable on a bartable is 8ball.
4.5 is the absolute limit for me.
4.75 is even better.

It is not about pocketing balls but playing a ball past
or through another.

I like tight pockets for rotation and one pocket games
but those are best on 9ft or 10ft tables.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Why not just play on a table you like, and not worry about what other people do?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ouch 4"
The only game I find enjoyable on a bartable is 8ball.
4.5 is the absolute limit for me.
4.75 is even better.

It is not about pocketing balls but playing a ball past
or through another.

I like tight pockets for rotation and one pocket games
but those are best on 9ft or 10ft tables.

If I had my way, everyone would burn all JUMP CUES and BAR BOXES tonight.

I had rather play on a 9' with with no pockets (makes me wanna pull my hair out...what little I have left) than play on a toy table with easy pockets...

I'm with you on the 9, 10 and 12 foot tables for all rotation games, 1hole, banks, 14.1, 8 ball, golf, poker pool and snooker.......all other games can be on 7' tables..;)

Jeff

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s face the reality of what’s being kicked around here.
Sure it is lots of fun to run a rack or racks as it might be.
For some players, it might be a way to boost their egos.
In any event, pocketing shots is more enjoyable than not.

Truth be told, the ego of some players can’t tolerate being
on a table which rejects shots that otherwise drop with big
pockets. They feel like their game must be off or something.
It usually isn’t the case & they aren’t as accurate as imagined.

The harder the challenge, the greater the satisfaction derived
from achievement. Seeing my opponents miss shots I know I
can pocket & become frustrated over missing, my confidence
only increases and I tend to play even better. So when I can
run the rack when they are struggling to do it, well, it becomes
all the more gratifying. Yup, I miss shots but if the table intimidates
an opponent, it just means I’ll get another chance to ultimately prevail.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Everyone likes to knock the bar boxes, but are to egotistical to admit that they're more responsible for the overall growth of pool in this country than all the 9fts put together. And guess what, when the local pool hall closes down because they can't get enough support from THOSE pool players....they can always go to the bars and bang balls!!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
snooker vs pool

Since Trent himself says the thread has ran it's course I'll divert to an earlier subthread here, snooker vs pool.

For starters, Ronnie O may be the best snooker player ever. He didn't set the IPT pool world on fire with a snooker or pool cue. He slapped around pool saying it was like playing miniature golf, he also said it would take him five years to play it at the same level he plays snooker or words to that effect. I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Not too long ago, a decade or two, snooker players often had flat mushroomed pieces of leather for a tip that looked like they came from an old belt or shoe. Now you are more likely to see very well shaped and manicured tips although some still favor letting the tip mushroom so they are playing with a tip a few millimeters larger than the snooker cue's shaft. Watching old snooker video and new, it is obvious that snooker players use side spin much more than they used to.

While it would have seemed more reasonable for pool to become more like snooker the opposite has happened, snooker has became more like pool. If watching top players of either sport, I think you are more likely to see snooker players use huge side spin today.

Comparing pocket sizes isn't easy since snooker is a half table or even end table game. Of balls pocketed, I suspect 75% or more of snooker balls are pocketed in the bottom two pockets when playing the full rack game. Then to finish the player is usually looking at the same "drill" they have played countless times before, all of the numbered balls are sitting on their home spot. Perhaps we should consider snooker to be played mostly on a six foot surface, the width of the table and the distance from end to side pocket. If we were to consider the percentage of shots played cross side vs the number of shots played up and down the table it would vastly change calculations of degree of difficulty I believe.

With two tables sitting side by side I would almost always choose to play snooker. On a nine or ten foot pool table, tight pockets change the game played, the style of play. On seven footers, tight or loose doesn't much matter. Somebody mentioned a five foot table earlier in this thread I believe. I didn't know such a thing existed without bumpers. Four inch pockets might be buckets on it!

We are pretty much comparing apples to oranges. The closest game comparison would be one pocket to snooker. One Pocket players generally like tight pockets and I can't remember ever seeing it played on a seven foot table.

Just some thoughts and things to think about.

Hu

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everyone likes to knock the bar boxes, but are to egotistical to admit that they're more responsible for the overall growth of pool in this country than all the 9fts put together. And guess what, when the local pool hall closes down because they can't get enough support from THOSE pool players....they can always go to the bars and bang balls!!!

Excellent point. There are millions of weekend bar bangers compared to thousands of poolroom "players". And many of those bangers can perform the most rediculous upside down runouts you'll ever see. Most of us were bangers at one time, some better than others, some wanting to learn and become better, some just wanting to get out for a few beers and a few games of pool.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to be in favour of smaller pockets (4.25, 4.75 for recreational play and a tad smaller for pro/TV play). Possibly because I listened to too many “experts” who were better than me. But as I got (much) better at the game, I learned to favour 5, 5.5 because it makes the game so much better and so much more fun to play. This isn’t snooker and having an inferiority complex won’t achieve anything.

We still see pros miss shots on tables with big pockets, and my opinion has nothing to do with my ego or how good I think I am. It’s my opinion.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Glenn, sir...we just like to complain.

Heck, my wife won't listen so, I have to complain to you guys.

Seriously, I'm sure most (people like me) of the people that freaking hates toy tables realize that our rooms need them.

Your 100% correct....as usuall:thumbup:

Jeff