Reload this Page Hey Guitar Players
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Hey Guitar Players
Old
  (#1)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Hey Guitar Players - 10-02-2019, 08:50 PM

My brother is a music teacher. He teaches theory and gives lessons.

About a week ago, the shop where he works was burglarized and he lost his favorite Fender Stratocaster. It wasn't particularly valuable (early 80s Japan) but it was one of his first guitars. Needless to say, he's been down in the dumps about the whole situation.

So his birthday is in November. He was born in 1972. So I was thinking of buying a 1972 Fender Stratocaster for his birthday. The thing is, I don't know jack squat about what to look for or where to begin.

I'm willing to drop as much as 15k but I'm not sure they even cost that much. It needs to be a Sunburst body 6-string.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old
  (#2)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

10-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Poolnut View Post

About a week ago, the shop where he works was burglarized and he lost his favorite Fender Stratocaster. It wasn't particularly valuable (early 80s Japan) but it was one of his first guitars. Needless to say, he's been down in the dumps about the whole situation.

So his birthday is in November. He was born in 1972. So I was thinking of buying a 1972 Fender Stratocaster for his birthday. The thing is, I don't know jack squat about what to look for or where to begin.

I'm willing to drop as much as 15k but I'm not sure they even cost that much. It needs to be a Sunburst body 6-string.
If you're willing to drop $15k, I suggest you buy him a $2000 guitar and spend $13k on a therapist for yourself.

How about a trip to a local Guitar Center? They are a national chain and deal in new and used. They can find a classic Fender and ship it to the store like Cabela's does used guns.

Last edited by our_auctionguy; 10-02-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Old
  (#3)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
If you're willing to drop $15k, I suggest you buy him a $2000 guitar and spend $13k on a therapist for yourself.
I figured it might not cost that much, but I know some vintage guitars can be high priced. I've got the money to splurge. This is the result of having no kids, no girlfriend, and no personal debt. All I do is save so every once in a while I go off a little bit. It's for a good cause, though I could see the benefit of a quality therapist.

Old
  (#4)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

10-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I figured it might not cost that much, but I know some vintage guitars can be high priced. I've got the money to splurge. This is the result of having no kids, no girlfriend, and no personal debt. All I do is save so every once in a while I go off a little bit. It's for a good cause, though I could see the benefit of a quality therapist.
The old strats are not cheap. Here is a custom 60s that would make most wet their pants...... https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...onalizedViewCP

Personal opinions are like ....well you know. But me...If I had the resources you are talking, I'd spend whatever money just to be with him if one of you has to travel.... then take him shopping at some guitar stores where he can try out whatever. Time together to look is more valuable than any guitar you would buy him.

Last edited by our_auctionguy; 10-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Old
  (#5)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2019, 10:07 PM

Pre-CBS is where they get pricey.

Beware, there are a lot of frankensteins out there. If you are going to drop four figures for a '72 sunburst, take the time to educate yourself, join a forum, pester the guys at Guitar Center, they won't mind.

You are a good brother.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#6)
SpiderWeb
iisgone@yahoo.com
SpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-02-2019, 10:26 PM

You can educate yourself in time. This is what I would do. Do a lot of shopping but let him make the final decision because you might dog it and he won't.

Old
  (#7)
Sunchaser
Belgian Malinois
Sunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 02:28 AM

I appreciate the suggestion above about taking your bro to a store, and let him get what he wants...maybe he'd like to upgrade! Awesome your in a position to do that...and the adage family first is the highest priority. I pick banjo, so no real help on the guitar front. Very thoughtful gesture. You just climbed a few notches.😊

Old
  (#8)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-03-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:

https://reverb.com/
LOTS of instruments and very safe. I've both bought on sold and have had no issues.

"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...
Atlas Shrugged

Old
  (#9)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

10-03-2019, 05:43 AM

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-v...rch-by-domino/

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#10)
StrokeofLuck
AzB Silver Member
StrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 06:30 AM

Guitars are a lot like pool cues, very individual in what people like. Getting him one with a rosewood fretboard vs. maple, if thats his preference, could make or break it. Id tell him you want to help but let him pick (pun intended) something hell love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow the grain in your own wood

Old
  (#11)
RickLafayette
AzB Silver Member

RickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
https://reverb.com/
LOTS of instruments and very safe. I've both bought on sold and have had no issues.
This x 2.........

Player: Meucci Pro Series 5 w/ Carbon Pro shaft
Break Cue: Predator BK Rush
other stuff

Old
  (#12)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 06:46 AM

The Fender Custom shop makes all kinds of Player signature guitars like the Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton and SRV models for example and although they are expensive they are approx. something like 2,500 they are great guitars.

Guitar center should have a reasonable inventory. The fret board is important whether maple or rosewood.

Also pickups are important given what type of music your brother plays. Some folks like the vintage pickups and others like distortion pickups.

Old
  (#13)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 08:27 AM

Replacing a guitar from early on sounds nice.

However sentimental value can be much higher than actual monetary value of guitar.

Its like buying a new pet because the old pet died. It just isn't the same.

Searching the internet for someone selling a stolen guitar can be useful, especially if it leads to the one stolen from your family member.

Old
  (#14)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 10:32 AM

That's might big of you. Finding a '72 might be a bit of a issue but I'm sure they're out
there. Figure around 5K to 8K for a well preserved Strat?

Old
  (#15)
highkarate
AzB Silver Member
highkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 11:43 AM

You shouldn't have to go over 4k for a sunburst early 70's american-made start. I have several american-made strats and they are some of my favorite guitars. None from that era, but I have other guitars from that era and they will be good forever if they are well-crafted and cared for. GL

thats just like, your opinion man

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: