Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Did anyone on here start playing a musical instrument as an adult?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Did anyone on here start playing a musical instrument as an adult?
Old
  (#1)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Did anyone on here start playing a musical instrument as an adult? - 11-04-2019, 08:04 PM

As the title says.

Did you, and how did you find it? Did you get good? I played the trumpet as a child, but I never really took to it, it wasn't my kind of instrument. So I'm thinking of taking up piano, but I worry that it'll all be a waste of time. I'm prepared to put in the time, as I can't play as much pool anymore (back is acting up), but I'm worried that I may be too old to learn to play well (40). Alternatively, I might try an instrument I can play while standing up, like a flute or a saxophone, as that may be better for my back. Anyhow, curious to hear from you.

Old
  (#2)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

11-04-2019, 08:26 PM

I play at guitar, but suck at it. Played piano in 2nd thru 3rd grade and think with today's electric pianos I might enjoy relearning and getting serious with one.
Woodwindss like sax are too friggin hard to get good at. I see decent electric pianos or keyboards in used music stores and pawn shops for a few hundred dollars that a decade ago cost well over a grand or 2. Cheap and don't take up much space. Also, use headphones when you don't want to wake others up.

Old
  (#3)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
I play at guitar, but suck at it. Played piano in 2nd thru 3rd grade and think with today's electric pianos I might enjoy relearning and getting serious with one.
Woodwindss like sax are too friggin hard to get good at. I see decent electric pianos or keyboards in used music stores and pawn shops for a few hundred dollars that a decade ago cost well over a grand or 2. Cheap and don't take up much space. Also, use headphones when you don't want to wake others up.
Thanks for your reply. Agree that piano may be the better option, but still. I did try a wooden (baroque) flute and got decent sound out of it, even if that's supposed to be more difficult than a modern flute. I like the simplicity of it, that it's easy to carry around etc, but piano of course is more versatile.

I think I'll try the piano seriously, but also purchase a cheap flute just for messing around. I was intrigued by the sound it made, even from a totally untrained person. I miss playing pool, haven't touched the cue in months because of back problems. I've only played a little snooker on the tallest table in the club, even that hurts. But if the back gets better then we'll see. I love music as well as pool, and if I can no longer play pool, I'll at least have music.

Old
  (#4)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Ok, not a musical instrument....but I skateboarded from age 13~17 and quit. I was ok at it. I started up again @ age 24 and continued through age 32. Quitting at age 32 was the biggest mistake I ever made!

My point is, I was MUCH better in my adult years than I ever was as a kid. I was far more disciplined & settled. I could out perform all the youth at the parks, it was great! Yes, old dogs can learn new tricks!

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2019, 09:03 PM

Wooden Baroque flute sounds interesting. I stopped pool due to neck problems. After an hour or two hunkered down and craning my neck to look down the 9' table at shots, my neck is killing me the next day. Playing on bar tables is not nearly as tough aiming and standing. Might have to look at playing strictly bar tables and see how that feels.

Old
  (#6)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2019, 09:10 PM

It depends what your goals are. If you want to just have a hobby enjoy. The repertoire on the piano is endless.

Old
  (#7)
Hunter
The King of Memes
Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000
Location: Arizona: Land of a Half Million Illegal Immigrants and a "dry heat"...

11-04-2019, 10:35 PM

I started playing piano as an adult. The guy that taught me said I'd never be a virtuoso, but he could teach me enough to amuse myself and my friends. He taught me Angie and Stairway to Heaven in about three weeks. I learned a couple of new songs every two weeks for the next several months.

He taught me an interesting way of playing. I never learned to read music. He would bring sheet music and showed me that just above the music, there were usually guitar chords. He taught me how to make a basic chord in all it's positions, then how to make a 7th, a 9th, a minor chord and a major chord. He also showed me how to cheat some notes in between chord changes to make the music fuller. If the song had a special intro or melody, I would have to pick it out and write the notes down.

I amused myself and my friends for years afterword and never really learned how to read notes at all. I dated a concert pianist later on that hated the fact that when we went to parties, I got asked to play more than she did. I think the people just liked Piano Man or Let It Be better than they liked Dvorak symphonies...

"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you"...

Old
  (#8)
Imotv8u
AzB Silver Member
Imotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 01:17 AM

I taught myself piano until I became addicted to pool about 7 years ago. There are some very good piano tutorials online for just about every kind of music you like. I can’t read music at all but if you can learn the chords you’ll be able to pick out almost any song you like.

Rod

Old
  (#9)
Sunchaser
Belgian Malinois
Sunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond reputeSunchaser has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 02:17 AM

I recently moved to Tennessee, and bought a banjo. I have memorized and practice several songs like Cripple Creek, You are my Sunshine, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, etc. I you tuned the lessons, and cannot believe my progress! The real key is to practice every day you brush your teeth.

I was 17 when I started guitar...
Old
  (#10)
Jaden
Dun w/da bullshit 4awhile
Jaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5875

I was 17 when I started guitar... - 11-05-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
As the title says.

Did you, and how did you find it? Did you get good? I played the trumpet as a child, but I never really took to it, it wasn't my kind of instrument. So I'm thinking of taking up piano, but I worry that it'll all be a waste of time. I'm prepared to put in the time, as I can't play as much pool anymore (back is acting up), but I'm worried that I may be too old to learn to play well (40). Alternatively, I might try an instrument I can play while standing up, like a flute or a saxophone, as that may be better for my back. Anyhow, curious to hear from you.
I was 17 when I started learning guitar...is that old enough for you to consider it...

As far as if I'm any good, you be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3PwjNfIHg

Jaden

Old
  (#11)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....

11-05-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I was 17 when I started learning guitar...is that old enough for you to consider it...

Jaden
I hate you. You just convinced me to sell my guitar and start learning flute.

Old
  (#12)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 04:40 AM

I personally cant carry a tune in a bucket.

Jump in with both feet Straightpool. You wont know until you try.

And remember. There is always the Kazoo.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#13)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-05-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
As the title says.

I've been playing guitar and mandolin for the majority of my life. Having that experience makes learning other instruments much easier. While I'm far from proficient, I picked up a bit of piano as an adult. Didn't keep with it very long though; just long enough to use it for a project I was working on. Only play it occasionally now and just here at the house.
My nephew (already a multiple instrumentalist), took to piano in his mid 20's and became quite proficient in just a handful of years. In fact, that is the instrument he primarily plays when playing live.
As others have alluded to, Youtube is a great resource for learning new stuff. Even after all of these years, I will occasionally use it to learn a new song if time is short and I find a video from someone who learned it accurately.

"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

“...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...”
Atlas Shrugged

Old
  (#14)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Jaden
Rock on dude!!!!!

Old
  (#15)
POOLSTICKRICK
AzB Bronze Member
POOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond reputePOOLSTICKRICK has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 07:43 AM

I started playing guitar at 50. 4 years later and i'm not too bad.you can sit or stand to play the guitar. You tube helps alot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: