Bank pool... Systems or Rote?

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just enjoying watching SVB and Thorpe in the 2019 US Open Bank Pool Championships and was wondering, are most pros using a system when banking or just rote experience when playing banks. They just seem to get up an fire them in with out much thought. I know several systems like using the diamonds, CJ's TIP"s, and the mirror system but it does not seem they are using much to line up. I rarely I see them line up a diamond with their stick, it seems mostly feel for them. I have been practicing banks a lot more lately and I am trying to learn more about how to execute banks. I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes. I would love some input and fine tuning tips from good bank pool players here on AZ in an effort to improve my banks. Thanks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rote...

Systems are a good reference tool/ ingredient, but given all the variables, can't do the job alone.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just enjoying watching SVB and Thorpe in the 2019 US Open Bank Pool Championships and was wondering, are most pros using a system when banking or just rote experience when playing banks. They just seem to get up an fire them in with out much thought. I know several systems like using the diamonds, CJ's TIP"s, and the mirror system but it does not seem they are using much to line up. I rarely I see them line up a diamond with their stick, it seems mostly feel for them. I have been practicing banks a lot more lately and I am trying to learn more about how to execute banks. I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes. I would love some input and fine tuning tips from good bank pool players here on AZ in an effort to improve my banks. Thanks
I've watched BT since he was a young kid. He learned systems i'm sure but he then played a LOT and they just became automatic. They've seen all these shots a gillion times and its just auto-pilot now. They do make it look easy.

marinemike0931

Registered
I don't really believe in any system for banking personally (especially on diamond tables). Too many variations in bank exit angle depending of speed and spin to use a mirror system or diamond system reliably. They might get you in the ballpark, but for me, it's more about feel and visualization from executing (or attempting) thousands of bank shots in the past. I find I miss a lot more banks if I try to use the mirror method or diamond system. I do use the mirror system for kicks, but that's less reliable on diamond tables as well. Speed has more affect on kicks on diamond tables as well, and you have to use a hair more running English. You almost have to memorize how a ball will rebound off a rail at a given speed and English. Those guys have done that. They use different speeds and spin to avoid double kisses and alter shot angles for position on the next shot.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rote...

Systems are a good reference tool/ ingredient, but given all the variables, can't do the job alone.

Yeah, this. For the past few years, about 95% of my pool playing (practice, really) has been bank shots. A system can give you a good starting or reference point, but then you have to "correct" for any given situation. And for me, that just comes with experience. After a while, you just start to "see" what needs to be done, to make the shot.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Started out with a system, grew to hitting 10's of thousands of banks and it became feel, is what a lot of bankers will tell you.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
…. I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes. I would love some input and fine tuning tips from good bank pool players here on AZ in an effort to improve my banks. Thanks

A LOT of knowledge in 'the Beard"s book. Great for learning and practice IMO, and to build upon until you 'see' them. Severe back cut angle banks need 'pocket' speed and outside, or they just won't go.

td<<< bankin' banger

bstroud

Deceased
Eddy Taylor didn't use a system and he was the best there ever was.

Bank takes lots of practice and experience.

Bill stroud

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I was just enjoying watching SVB and Thorpe in the 2019 US Open Bank Pool Championships and was wondering, are most pros using a system when banking or just rote experience when playing banks. They just seem to get up an fire them in with out much thought. I know several systems like using the diamonds, CJ's TIP"s, and the mirror system but it does not seem they are using much to line up. I rarely I see them line up a diamond with their stick, it seems mostly feel for them.
As you get better with a system it can also get abbreviated and faster to use - maybe even less conscious.

I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes.
1. to get shape
2. to maximize the rebound angle (without spin)
3. to increase spin transfer to the OB

pj
chgo

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you get better with a system it can also get abbreviated and faster to use - maybe even less conscious.

1. to get shape
2. to maximize the rebound angle (without spin)
3. to increase spin transfer to the OB

pj
chgo

Also perhaps to avoid rattle-out.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the most part, Systems only work for one speed of shot at reasonably steep angles. Whether it be a bank or kick, as you change speed, english, angle and age of cloth the result changes. Then, to use your term, it becomes rote. Practiced and repeated.

Anyway, that’s my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
From Robert Byrne’s McGoorty.

Wille Hoppe did not use the diamond system...he developed it for teaching purposes.
...bank systems are the same, IMO....they get you started on the right path....
...but you have to go farther to be good...don’t let them be your master.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of good answers here and a clear consensus. When it comes to Banks, you've got to "feel" it! The variances in speed and english change everything! You can shoot the exact same bank a thousand different ways, with as many outcomes. The computer in your head can best analyze the data and give you the best answer how to hit the shot. Somehow it remembers the thousands of times you shot similar banks and what worked for you then. Best of all, it can make an almost instant calculation if you don't get in it's way by thinking too much! ;)

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
A lot of good answers here and a clear consensus. When it comes to Banks, you've got to "feel" it! The variances in speed and english change everything! You can shoot the exact same bank a thousand different ways, with as many outcomes. The computer in your head can best analyze the data and give you the best way to hit the shot. Somehow it remembers the thousands of times you shot similar banks and what worked for you then. Best of all, it can make an almost instant calculation if you don't get in it's way by thinking too much! ;)

Yes! The background super computer. I love the subconscious.

I’ve made 5 or 6 banks total using a system I watched a video on. Once I moved the balls a little I was back to all feel.

My favorite banks are with the cue ball up in the kitchen area closer to the rail, OB below the side pocket somewhere near the opposite rail, inside English to hold the OB ball up and fire it cross corner. I don’t know if they’re just naturally easy to judge or what but I make them like mad, even with the OB still rolling I’ve discovered. It can be pretty intimidating when you finish a quick warm up with a few of those.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes! The background super computer. I love the subconscious.

I’ve made 5 or 6 banks total using a system I watched a video on. Once I moved the balls a little I was back to all feel.

My favorite banks are with the cue ball up in the kitchen area closer to the rail, OB below the side pocket somewhere near the opposite rail, inside English to hold the OB ball up and fire it cross corner. I don’t know if they’re just naturally easy to judge or what but I make them like mad, even with the OB still rolling I’ve discovered. It can be pretty intimidating when you finish a quick warm up with a few of those.

Some people have a knack for certain banks and see them better than other people. My specialty was cross side banks that you have to cross over to make. Bugs was amazing at shooting similar banks off the long rails. I asked him once what his secret was.
He said, "I hit 'em just like they were cross side." I never forgot that splendid piece of advice.

Last edited: