14.1 advice I have gotten over the years

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
This is a repost of an old post that I made last year, and I believe that it belongs in this forum. I was responding to Williebetmore's question as to why he has not run 100 after playing for 4 years. Enjoy and use this info to your advantage!!!

here is a link to the original thread...
14.1 advice I have gotten over the years

In response to Williebetmore asking why he has not been able to run 100 after 4 years, but why can guys in NYC do it all the time? I have to tell you - its all about the fish that are in the pond.

Its also all about mindset. Scott and Gerry hit on a few key points as well in the other thread. The best way I can describe it is like this:
In NYC/and surrounding areas of NJ - there exists many guys that will keep you in the chair forever and run 100+ like its no big deal. You have a choice of what to do when you are in the chair.

a) You can beat yourself up or feel sorry for yourself
b) You can take notes and learn

I had the opportunity to learn from Cisero Murphy, Steve Mizerak, John Ervolino, Jack Colavita, and Pete Margo. A lot of it was done by merely observing how they dealt with different clusters or how they played a certain sequence of shots.

Here are some priceless pearls of wisdom that I received from many great players over the past 30 years.

Cowboy Jimmy Moore
14.1 is NOT just about big runs - its about playing smart. If you don't have the big run, don't try to force it. The big run won't always be there, and every run has its end. It is much easier to execute an effective safety with 10 - 13 balls on the table than it is with 2 or 3. If you can get to the table and run 20-25 balls, lock him down and get back up and run 25 more and lock him up again, its just as effective as a big run of 50.

Jimmy Caras
Don't get lost. Many players just go for the open shot with little or no thought about what they are doing and then they end up paying for it when trying to set up the break shot. Plan ahead for the end of the rack when you have the opportunity, and if you don't, be smarter than the situation.

Steve Mizerak
The balls know when your confident and when you aren't. When you have a tough shot and you stare down at the ball, don't allow it to win the stare down. The point is that either you can control the balls, or the balls can control you.

Cisero Murphy
Cisero used to always tell me "Neat in, neat out" and it related to break shots, clusters, and moving the cue ball. Cisero taught me to recognize a player's skill by how smoothly he moves the balls around. 14.1 is not a game that can be mastered with sloppy form, sloppy break outs, or sloppy patterns. Letting go of the cue ball in 14.1 is the absolute worst thing you can ever do. 14.1 is not 9 ball, and 2, 3, and 4 rail position to get on any shot means you lost control somewhere or made a bad choice.

Willie Mosconi
In 14.1 - the better player doesn't always win, but the smartest players always does! Play smart, and take nothing for granted, no matter how easy or routine any shot is. Lapses in concentration or getting careless create opportunities for your opponent.

Take pride in how you shoot the balls. I have always said that when Willie hit a ball, it was like the balls moved differently for him - like the knew who he was and out of respect for who he was they followed his direction. Willie always had command of the table, and he took pride in his work.

Hal Mix

Prepare and then execute. There is nothing worse than being lost with just 3 balls on the table. A lot of players think that 14.1 is a game where you have the freedom to just keep hitting any ball that you want into the pockets. There is more to it than that. A lot of players end their run because they shoot the wrong ball at the wrong time and eventually it catches up to them. Pay attention to sequences - that is why I love any 14.1 accu-stat tapes that have Grady Matthews calling the action. Grady always sees the correct sequence and that is due to a trained eye from years of experience playing the game.

Lou Butera

Stick with what works. This means setting up for a break shot that you are familiar with. You won't always have the same break ball every time, however you should stick with what works for you the best.

Gene Nagy
Watch what the balls do. Recklessly slamming the cue ball into the rack achieves absolutely nothing. Practice your break shots, especially your secondary break shots, and watch what the balls do. Different speeds of stroke will achieve different results. Learn how to work in small sections of the table. Get the balls open and then get behind them. Splattering the balls all across the table can eliminate your chances of leaving a ball close to the stack. Plan your break shots and your sequences to where you get above the rack, not under it.

(added 01-19-08)

RAY MARTIN
Learn how to play straight pool the correct way and you will run more balls.

Attached are some tips on break shots and shot sequence also...

Attachments

• Break_Shot_Tips.GIF
    Break_Shot_Tips.GIF
    33.2 KB · Views: 890
  • Shot_Sequence1.GIF
    Shot_Sequence1.GIF
    22 KB · Views: 844
  • Shot_Sequence2.GIF
    Shot_Sequence2.GIF
    29.1 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
cool info, and I liked the diagrams. If this is part of a regular column by Mr. Sapolis, I would like to see more like it. I managed to guess right on the sequence :p

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff Blackjack! I remember that thread, and everyone can learn from that info. People just learning this great game don't know how lucky they have it. I had to go work in a pool room, lose a lot, and sit for hours learning patterns! :D now you can just jump on the net and get any info you want, but it doesn't feel the same as learning in a room with all the barking, smoke, big runs, and great friends....

Gerry

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Very good information. Thanks for posting it, and I too would love to see more of the same.

Not knowing diagram 3 was the answer for 2, when I looked at #2 I immediately chose the 3 ball to get on the twelve, seeing the 10 as both a good ball to get on my key as well as a good safety valve if I get out of line when going for the 12 / cluster break. Then ... when I opened the 3rd diagram and you spoke of the easy stop 10 ball first, I gulped and said to myself, "wrong again" but to my relief I found my eye saw quickly the way. :)

When I was younger and hung out at our local poolroom, there was an old timer who worked for the owner of the room as the daytime counter man. He was quiet, and never gambled, but ran hundreds and hundreds of balls stopping to check out a player at the register, or answer the phone or make a cup of coffee. But he just came back to the table and picked up where he left off. It was amazing to me. I would sit in the corner of his table area and just watch. It was hypnotizing. There was nothing ever hard. Watching him was the beginning of my love of 14.1

Kyros

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff. I learned a ton in the 10 minutes it took to read it all.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
ghostball said:
Learn how to play straight pool the correct way and you will run more balls.
RAY MARTIN

I edited the original post and added this to the list!

Thanks, Ray - words cannot express how great it is to have you on this forum.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
an oldie but a goody

Ah, those were the days.

Black Jack was our spiritual leader, instructing us in the arcane arts of straight pool. :smile:

Use the search function and see what gems you can uncover.