Nick "The Indian" Vlahos

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
Just wondering if any one out there has any memories or road stories of Nick Vlahos aka "Nickie the Indian". He was a road player from Salem, Mass.. In his youth he was quite the beast and one of the most feared road players from the Northeast. I know Joe Tucker knew him, Tom McGonagle knew him..among many others. Just wondering if anyone would like to share....Thanks in advance...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the early to mid 1990's, Nick was a monster player best known for being a phenomenal position player. He played primarily on the All About Pool tour, a forerunner of the Joss Tour. New York City's two best players at the time, Tony Robles and George "Ginky" San Souci, had limitless respect for Nick and for his game.

His death at such a young age robbed pro pool in the Northeast of some of its vitality.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
...and just imagine how great he would have been had he not pretty much quit pool for what should have been his peak years. He told me once why he quit. As I recall it, he was hanging in bed with a good looking woman when he got a call about some potential action having shown up at one of the local rooms. Nick left the comfort and company of his bed and went on down to the poolroom, whereupon the usual haggling took place about a game, and no significant game ever went down. It made Nick ask himself what the hell was wrong with his priorities. I believe by that time he already was managing family owned rental property so he really didn't have to hustle for a living. I think from there he took at least ten years off -- only coming out of retirement to dabble in the All About Pool tour on weekends. As great as he played in those 90's tournaments, I always had the feeling it was just casual pool for Nick -- his razor sharp competitive edge had dulled years before. I think that's one reason he was so jovial competing in those tournaments -- frankly it really didn't matter too much to him -- he was having fun. And he was one of the nicest, most pleasant players I have ever known. Gorgeous smooth stroke too. Damn shame brain tumor took him down.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if any one out there has any memories or road stories of Nick Vlahos aka "Nickie the Indian". He was a road player from Salem, Mass.. In his youth he was quite the beast and one of the most feared road players from the Northeast. I know Joe Tucker knew him, Tom McGonagle knew him..among many others. Just wondering if anyone would like to share....Thanks in advance...

Met him in 1992 at snookers in Providence ,RI. we exchanged some information. I liked him and I chuckled when he asked me whether I graduated from high school and told him ,"yes". He is a very good player- Middle Tier pro caliber.:cool:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Is he the one who used to flex his arms and pose like a bodybuilder after a good shot, or winning a match?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
He'd flail his arms over his head, and spin around on occasion after firing in a ball. Nice guy, certainly a character, and definitely a loss for the pool world.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
He'd flail his arms over his head, and spin around on occasion after firing in a ball. Nice guy, certainly a character, and definitely a loss for the pool world.

Hhmmmmmmmmmmm.
Might be the guy I am thinking of.

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a video of him playing Earl Strickland straight pool where at the end of the match he spends a few moments with a commentator and says:

"I didn't know Earl didn't know how to play straight pool."

I think he said it in all seriousness and with a straight face.

He won that match.

David Marcus

Silver Member
He said it because at the time it was TRUE!

I have a video of him playing Earl Strickland straight pool where at the end of the match he spends a few moments with a commentator and says:

"I didn't know Earl didn't know how to play straight pool."

I think he said it in all seriousness and with a straight face.

He won that match.

I have the same match and Nicky was right. Earl didn't know how to play SP at that time. If you watch the match, it is quite obvious that Nicky was toying with Earl and getting in his head. The sad thing is by the time that tournament was played Nicky's health was already failing. He went on to lose to Efren in the tournament. I own that match also......

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MY friend Johnny B (RIP) played him in Branford CT. Johnny was a pretty good Shortstop. He lost 9-0. Afterward Nick told me, "I tried to let him win a game a few times but he just couldn't do it". Nice guy for sure and a bit eccentric. He'd sometimes sleep under a table between matches.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Nick was considered middle of the road pro by you, you never saw the real Nick.

When he came off the road in the late seventies, he started playing in tournaments in the Boston area.

For a period of over a year, he never lost a set, in any tournament he played in. I know because, I started the streak and ended the streak.

The players in our area were first class. Nick just blew us all away. If you got to four against him in a race to seven, you were doing well.

On that road trip he made. He came home with a profit of $27,000, after expenses. I honestly felt he might have played nine-ball better than anyone I ever played.

I miss him a lot. He was buried on my birthday, April 22.

Thanks for reminding everyone Nick was here.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

Last edited:

David Marcus

Silver Member
Thanks Tom...

If Nick was considered middle of the road pro by you, you never saw the real Nick.

When he came off the road in the late seventies, he started playing in tournaments in the Boston area.

For a period of over a year, he never lost a set, in any tournament he played in. I know because, I started the streak and ended the streak.

The players in our area were first class. Nick just blew us all away. If you got to four against him in a race to seven, you were doing well.

On that road trip he made. He came home with a profit of $27,000, after expenses. I honestly felt he might have played nine-ball better than anyone I ever played.

Thanks Tom for reminding those of us who saw and knew the real Nick how truly special he was.

David Marcus

Silver Member
Anyone else??

Any older generation road players or hustlers ever lock horns with Nick back in the day? Would love to hear from you.....

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Nick play several times but really didn't know him. Good player and seemed like a stand-up guy.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I have the same match and Nicky was right. Earl didn't know how to play SP at that time. If you watch the match, it is quite obvious that Nicky was toying with Earl and getting in his head. The sad thing is by the time that tournament was played Nicky's health was already failing. He went on to lose to Efren in the tournament. I own that match also......

I believe the two matches you are talking about against Earl and Efren are available here from Accu-Stats:

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/store.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000004&CAT=000009

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice going Tom...

Tom - it's good of you to give an eyewitness account from someone who knew Nicky well - as the great player...and person...that he was. I imagine because of your birthday you will never forget Nicky. Or will I.

Let me add just a few notes for this thread.

Nicky won substantially more than he did in that one road trip that you mention. He was not supported by his family - and in fact it was just the opposite. He was devoted to his mother and father and was very generous to them.

I had lunch with Nicky and his mom many times and she didn't have much of an idea of his lifestyle except that he traveled and was a dear son and she was so proud of him. Nicky and I played tennis almost every day in the summers and he often brought his dad and a folding chair for him to watch.

I have said before on this site that after Mosconi, Nicky was the best I ever saw. And I never saw Mosconi play anything but straight pool. Nicky did play some great 9-ball but I think his best game was 1-pocket - and he ran a hundred balls in straight pool like a walk in the park.

tjk1566

Registered
My Story of Nicky

I have one story Nick told me . Hope I don't screw it up to bad .
It's one of a few I'm able to remember :)

He was in a small town in the Midwest ? He'd been there for a bit beating a few people as always . So after some days he starts hearing from the locals about someone in town that's betting high . So one of the local guys says he'll bring him to the place .

Nick enters the BAR and hears the balls hitting the back of the pockets making a very distinct noise BOOM BOOM BOOM !

Nicky walks to the back of the BAR and rounds the corner and there is JOE KIELEY (SP?)

He excused himself went into the restroom and bit the tip off his cue LOL .
He explained to the guy that brought him there he couldn't play today cause his cue needed to be repaired ! He promptly left town .

I can only claim to know Nicky a very little and I count myself very lucky for that . I was a bit to intent on the story to ask the relevant question ?
Why did you do that ?

A--- because Joe was one of the best BAR table players ?
B---or because you didn't ruin his action ?
Either way it was a great story !

Pool in this area has not been the same since Nicky passed !
If you never saw him play you really missed a top notch player
but a better person .

"is this kid for real Mcguire"

TJK