New England visit in July

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello up there!

I will be visiting the Lowell/Salem/Boston area first ten days of July...then a week in central Vermont.

You can't miss me - I'll be the guy in sunglasses wearing a Mickey Mouse tee shirt and a camera hanging from my neck.

Anyone know of any one-day open tournaments during that time where I might bump into some old friends and make new ones??

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not too close to Lowell, but Snookers has a great Wed night tournament with some good players in it, usually gets 20+ players $20 entry.

Near Lowell in Ayer, MA is The Billiards Cafe, there is a Tuesday night tournament there that is a smaller and cheaper (8-14 or so players $7 entry). Competition is a lot easier there, races to 3 or 4 depending on number of people, races shorter on the losers side.

You can find some pics of the room in my posts here http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=314126&highlight=League+Night

There is a very nice new room in Malden pretty close to Boston also, but I don't know their tournament schedule. Amazin Billiards. Tables are VERY nicely setup, probably the best in the area.

If you want I could arrange a meet and greet with the MA Jr State Champion :) http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320785

Last edited:

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on where you are staying, Grand China Billiards in Salem, NH has weekly tournaments. Get this, Friday night $5 double elimination that gets 20+ people. Solid C- B+ level competition, friendly room but no real action and it is in a Chinese restaurant so you can get poo poo platters and scorpion bowls while running a 1 pack.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not too close to Lowell, but Snookers has a great Wed night tournament with some good players in it, usually gets 20+ players $20 entry.

Near Lowell in Ayer, MA is The Billiards Cafe, there is a Tuesday night tournament there that is a smaller and cheaper (8-14 or so players $7 entry). Competition is a lot easier there, races to 3 or 4 depending on number of people, races shorter on the losers side.

You can find some pics of the room in my posts here http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=314126&highlight=League+Night

There is a very nice new room in Abington pretty close to Boston also, but I don't know their tournament schedule. Amazin Billiards. Tables are VERY nicely setup, probably the best in the area.

If you want I could arrange a meet and greet with the MA Jr State Champion :) http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320785
Mazin Shooni's room is at 40 Faulkner Street, Malden, MA. Very nice new room with great equipment (8 pool tables all 9' and 5 heated three cushion tables). They have a 9-ball tournament at least once a month but I do not know the schedule.

There is a "private club" in Lowell called Passe Temps or something like that. Free table time but you have to join (very modest membership fee). They allow smoking because they are a private club. I play in Manchester NH in another private club -- same deal, but I know I could sign you in as a guest if you head up this way.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mazin Shooni's room is at 40 Faulkner Street, Malden, MA. Very nice new room with great equipment (8 pool tables all 9' and 5 heated three cushion tables). They have a 9-ball tournament at least once a month but I do not know the schedule.

There is a "private club" in Lowell called Passe Temps or something like that. Free table time but you have to join (very modest membership fee). They allow smoking because they are a private club. I play in Manchester NH in another private club -- same deal, but I know I could sign you in as a guest if you head up this way.

Mazin is also a "membership" room, think $35 a month with pretty cheap table time. I'm sure they will let you play there if you say you're only here for a short time, but it does get filled up pretty fast with only 8 pool tables.

I get emails about the tournaments there, I think they have them every 3 weeks, or at least that is the planned schedule.

Don't know why I put in Abington as their location though.

I heard good things about the private club also (I was told it's a "French Club" but also others have said that anyone can join), maybe 2 tables, one is a nice Diamond, but never quite got anyone to tell me exactly where it is or what it takes to become a member, including a good friend that actually played there LOL. I think it's one of those things that people that know like to keep to themselves to keep it from being mobbed.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mazin is also a "membership" room, think $35 a month with pretty cheap table time. I'm sure they will let you play there if you say you're only here for a short time, but it does get filled up pretty fast with only 8 pool tables.

I get emails about the tournaments there, I think they have them every 3 weeks, or at least that is the planned schedule.

Don't know why I put in Abington as their location though.

I heard good things about the private club also (I was told it's a "French Club" but also others have said that anyone can join), maybe 2 tables, one is a nice Diamond, but never quite got anyone to tell me exactly where it is or what it takes to become a member, including a good friend that actually played there LOL. I think it's one of those things that people that know like to keep to themselves to keep it from being mobbed.

As if on "cue", I just got this email a few minutes ago. Since this one is June 9th, the next one would be in about 3 weeks, end of June/start of July.
The race to your average part is BCA league handicaps which I believe go from 3-7. My son was a 3 when he came in 7th, I was a 5.5 as a B+ but was a bit on the high side compared to some other players who played as well but were 4s or 5s, so a B player would be anywhere from 4-5 there, maybe a 5.5.

Amazin Billiards Malden Ma.
Sunday June 9th
Entrance fee $25.00
Start Time 10:30 a,m.
Race to your average

Don't forget Friday June 7th come see and meet E.S.P.N.s Dr Cue Mr.Tom Rosssman world trick shot champion. Tom will show some amazing trick shots. Starts at 7:p.m all welcome no charge compliments of Mazin Shooni
Amazin Billiards Malden
40 Faulkner St.

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks...

Some posssibilities here...thanks.

I have played quite a lot when a boy at the Club Passe Temps...or Pastime Club, depending on if you had any French in you...which I do. I have relatives as members and have been looking forward to checking it out...they tell me they still have duckpin/candlepin bowling lanes downstairs.

I will be on a serious hunt for duckpin and candlepin bowling in my travels up there. Vinal Square in Chelmsford still has duckpin I think.

1pocket - I might take you up on your offer...Manchester is not too far from Lowell...and I might be staying some at Goffsttown...which is even closer. I'll pm you if things look good - thanks - and thanks to all - Mike