Your experience with: [Predator Cues and / or Shaft]

Hustlin-Felice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone !

I would like to ask you for some opinions about Predator Cues and/or Shafts (Both 314-2 and Z-2).
What is your experience with them?
How do they feel?
Do you still play with them? [If yes, which one? If not, what are you currently play with?]

I post a thread yesterday, with question about Predator P3 but not many people answered it.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=329104
Maybe because is rare.

However I really looking forward to read about your experience and personal feelings about Predator products (Cues and/or Shafts)

Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator cues

I got one a couple of years ago from Billiard warehouse. It played ok but sounded
terrible. It made a high pitched clickie sound that really bothered me. I tried to ignore
the noise but couldn't. I sent it back got a OB. Am now playing with a OB break
shaft that I turned down to a pro taper on a schon butt. It has just a little deflectioon
that I like and like all OB products makes a real solid sound. Seems like a lot of
people really like the predators, but every one I tried makes that noise. Shouldn't
matter if you like the way it plays but it just gave me another excuse for when I
missed and I limit myself to 100 excuses and it would have put me over.
jack

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I won't play with anything else. Started with the 314, went to the Z, then the Z2. In my opinion they can't be beat. With that said give them a try and see what fits your game.

Black Cat :cool:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Hi everyone !

I would like to ask you for some opinions about Predator Cues and/or Shafts (Both 314-2 and Z-2).
How do they feel?
Do you still play with them? [If yes, which one? If not, what are you currently play with?]

I post a thread yesterday, with question about Predator P3 but not many people answered it.
Maybe because is rare.

However I really looking forward to read about your experience and personal feelings about Predator products (Cues and/or Shafts)

Thats all I play with.I go outside center all the time and the predator shaft gives me the feedback I like.Aiming is also easier once you get use to it.

Anthony

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I've never had a complete (Predator) cue, but the shafts are as good as it gets. I've been using them for years.
Put an UltraSkin on the end of it and you'll beat everybody in the house. :)

Last edited:

Hustlin-Felice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:D:D:D:D

Great, thank you guys ;)

But which butts you currently playing with ? Why those?

Any experience with P3, Blak, Ikon ?
How do they feel, what is the different between P3, Blak, Ikon, etc. ? Only design , or feeling of shoot is diffrent ?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only way you will find out about Predator cues and shafts is by trying their products.
As you can see, the answers you have got is all over the place, because people have different prefrences.
Personally i would say that the butt really does not matter that much, as long as you find one with the weight and balance you like.
The shaft is whats important in terms of feel and performance.
One of the first things you should ask yourself is:
-What kind of taper do i like?
-What tip diameter do i play best with?
If your stroke is nice and straight you might be able to go down to 12mm or smaller.
If not it might pay of to get something in between like Mezz Hybrid pro 2 wich is 12.5mm
or the 314/2 wich is 12.75mm
The leading LD shafts out there feels quite different, some like the predator shafts have a very "dead" feel, some like it - some don`t
OB, Jacoby and Lucasi feels more normal.
Mezz shafts have a carbon fibre core and are quite stiff, yet feels very much like a all maple shaft.

Try before you buy!

bobforest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only way you will find out about Predator cues and shafts is by trying their products.
As you can see, the answers you have got is all over the place, because people have different prefrences.
Personally i would say that the butt really does not matter that much, as long as you find one with the weight and balance you like.
If your stroke is nice and straight you might be able to go down to 12mm or smaller.
If not it might pay of to get something in between like Mezz Hybrid pro 2 wich is 12.5mm
The leading LD shafts out there feels quite different, some like the predator shafts have a very "dead" feel, some like it - some don`t
Mezz shafts have a carbon fibre core and are quite stiff, yet feels very much like a all maple shaft.

Try before you buy!

+1

personally i'm not a fan of the 'look' of predators, some of their designs are a little garish... but if you get a plain one and, more importantly, invest in a quality tip, you'll have a playing cue that's as good as anything else out there - but it's definitely a case of personal preference when it comes to that magic unquantifiable notion of 'feel'.

people get all giddy about custom cues (including me) because they are gorgeous... but I don't honestly believe that they play any better than the top production cues.

Cheers

Bob

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
after playing for a number of years with 1 main cue (not ld)

just a couple of years ago i started to experiment with
what was available - i tried alot of cues with ld shafts
and while they are all pretty good - i feel the predator's are just a
little better than all of them.

it raised my game from being a horrible player all the way up to a lousy player.

pretty good increase in performance from just changing a cue brand !

Centerpunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try before you buy!

You mention Mezz shafts. The wd700 does not have a carbon fiber core. Solid maple with a drilled out tip end section. Similar to predator. Fantastic shafts.
They do have a shaft with carbon core:D but not that one(their most popular).
Extremely low deflection and great hitting! My opinion:thumbup:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Feel is subjective. Some people are indifferent and can play with anything. Others are more sensitive and more prejudicial. Your best course of action is find someone that has a cue with a predator shaft that you want to try out, and ask nicely. Most will oblige, including myself.

Some custom cuemakers go through a 'river of wood' to ensure high consistency. Predator takes a different approach to manufacturing consistency with their lamination process. A common misconception is the lamination process is the key to Predator's low deflection.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Preds are excellent. May I suggest you buy it from Seyberts. They a have liberal return/exchange or refund policy if you do not like it. My player is a wrapless Roadline that I had wrapped. Using a 314Fat on it. I have 6 Predators. Bought 2 from Azb members and 4 from Seyberts.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with 314-2, Z2, WD700, and OB2 over the last 2 - 3 years, will give you my impressions...

I'm a decent player - "A" level I guess, not quite shortstop level yet - very picky about my equipment. When I took up the game again a few years ago, I switched to a Z2 from my standard maple Schon shaft (still use the Schon butt). Very low deflection, decent hit, a little hollow feeling compared to a standard shaft, but something you get used to quickly. Once you go back to a standard shaft again, that feels really stiff by comparison.

I liked the shaft, could easily adjust for spin etc., but felt I was missing something. So I tried a 314-2, and went back and forth for quite a few months. The deflection is different enough between the two that I kept missing certain types of shots, didn't feel as comfortable with it. But because of the size it felt more solid, so kept trying.

Got a Mezz WD700, figured it was in between at 12.5mm and might work. I really liked it, a little more traditional feeling, stiff, comparable deflection to the 314-2. Played great, loved it - then the ferrule cracked. Took some effort to get it replaced but I did, and the replacement shaft was quite a bit heavier and played nothing like the one I had. Sold it. Still don't know what's more representative of the real WD700, I'm guessing they sent me a second or something as a replacement, or I just got unlucky and got one on the higher end of the weight scale (4.3 instead of the 3.8 I had). Threw off the whole balance of my cue.

So I went back to my 314-2, then saw Charlie Williams at a tournament and he was promoting OB, since he shifted his sponsorship to them. I tried the OB2, really liked it, even played a tournament with it right off the rack with a demo butt and demo OB2 shaft. Great playing shaft, wood ferrule was easy to get used to, only thing is with the dampening core it has a very soft hit, you'll either like it or not. If not, still have the choice of the Classic Pro, same size and basically same deflection, but with no dampening code and an actual ferrule.

Tips also make a different. The softer hitting shafts paired with a slightly harder tip can be a great combination, the opposite is true as well.

For now, I'm back to my 314-2, I realized that with some work I learned to adjust for spin just fine, I rarely miss a spin shot now, feel it gives me a nice solid hit with flexibility to do whatever else I want to do.

Definitely try the products out before buying, it's very much a feel thing, one person will say X is great while another hates it. I think Predator still has a decent warranty on their products, but I know OB has a lifetime warranty as long as the pad is left on the end of the ferrule. Can't beat that...

Scott

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a Z2 for a few weeks. Very nice shaft. I personally found it superior to any other LD shaft I ave played except the OB-2. Extremely close to the OB-2, Z2 felt just a little "whipper" to me. I could easily live with p,suing with either.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Hi everyone !

How do they feel?

Maybe because is rare.

Mezz also has a great playing shaft.