Shaft/Butt not flush, problem?

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
I can see light through the joint, the shaft actually is slightly angled when screwed in, which gives the illusion that the shaft looks warped if I do the rifle sighting test on it.

Can this mess up the joint? I'm sure any effects on aim are negligible as well.

I'd like to get it fixed at some point.

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
It looks like its slightly bent if you look at it from this view, I'm not sure if its evident in the picture.

f3e0.jpg

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
I'm not actually sure, the butt is actually newer, and I think my old shaft that came with my lucky screws on fine. I had to take it the shaft to somebody before to get it retapped because someone screwed it in like an asshole and ****ed it up. I think the i3 shaft might just not be a perfect hit, I got the retap done for free so I really didn't complain to the guy. I still think it fit my other butt better but I sold it with a newer regular shaft.

It still feels a little difficult to screw in, while the older shaft from my lucky can screw onto this butt fine.

EDIT: Just tried the old one, it screws on way easier, sits fine, but it appears a bit larger than the butt.

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
It looks like its slightly bent if you look at it from this view, I'm not sure if its evident in the picture.

f3e0.jpg

It appears to be a facing problem, in the picture it looks like the joint is out of alignment. Take your cue to some one who does quality cue repair, if this is the problem it is an easy and cheap fix. Until you have the cue checked out by some one in person you will never know what the problem is, it is impossible to tell 100% without having hands on on. My comments are based upon my experience as a cue repairman / cue maker so I do have some knowledge on the subject.

Take care

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
Its definitely the shaft joint though right? If another shaft fits fine, but the i3 doesn't.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Can't say for sure. Without knowing the history of the cue, its possible the butt and original shaft were sand fit together. Therefore any other shaft would not fit the butt correctly. Only way to know which by yourself would be to try a third shaft.

McDermott issue

While it is possible that you pin is bent, the real issue is that McDermott shafts are not interchangable. The collar on the butt and shaft are turbed together as a unit for each cue. The result is a unique set where if you mix shafts and butts tge frequently misalling. Turning this way is faster, cheaper and corrects issues like misalligned pins.

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
Can't say for sure. Without knowing the history of the cue, its possible the butt and original shaft were sand fit together. Therefore any other shaft would not fit the butt correctly. Only way to know which by yourself would be to try a third shaft.

The other shaft in question is a thrid shaft, its from my lucky, the shaft that came with this butt fit fine as well. My i3 didn't fit my lucky perfectly either, but I can't remember if the same problem was there.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The other shaft in question is a thrid shaft, its from my lucky, the shaft that came with this butt fit fine as well. My i3 didn't fit my lucky perfectly either, but I can't remember if the same problem was there.

Basically, that picture shows your alignment is way off. Whether it's the facings, the pin, or a cross threaded insert, you need to take the butt and your usual playing shafts to a cue maker for a fix. All of this can be repaired.