DO NOT be a 14.1 Statue

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
DO NOT be a 14.1 statue.

We've all seen the 14.1 statues - the players that stand in one spot looking and mulling over their dilemma ... they just stand there frozen in time ... and instead of increasing their knowledge and perspective of their layout - they rely upon their limited, 1 degree perspective to guide them through their problem. That is not a smart way to live your life - and it is definitely not a smart way to play 14.1.

If there is one thing that will dramatically improve your game overnight - it is taking the time to train yourself to WALK AROUND THE TABLE. Don't stand in one spot - keep moving-looking-and evaluating!

You cannot expect to run high numbers if you do not increase your perspective and see things from 360 degrees. Walking the table will uncover the good, the bad, and the ugly that is hidden within your layout. You can only take advantage of the opportunities that you find - so it is best to be a "Predatorial Opportunity Hunter" as opposed to being being a "Clueless Stationary Statue".

So move! It's the best thing you can do for yourself and for your game. As you walk the table, you can evaluate the layout from every single angle - 360 degrees. You see things from behind the problems areas - from in front and from behind each pocket and from behind and in front of each rail. 360 degree perspective is 360 times more powerful than 1 degree perspective.

Also keep these 3 thoughts in mind:

1) Players that walk around the table are able to see things that stationary players will never see.

2) Players that walk around the table are able to learn the things that stationary players will never learn.

3) Players that walk around the table are able to run the high numbers that stationary players will never come close to.

Follow these simple rules, and you will avoid being one of those 14.1 statues.

~ Blackjack's Random Thoughts, 02-10-2007.

Evaluation Mode

:)

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Excellent advise. In fact, this is true for other games as well. It's easy to get lazy and to just keep shooting without walking over to the object ball side of things to get the full picture.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the first things I learned to do when learning Straight Pool was to walk around/look over the table. Hiya, Dave!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
DO NOT be a 14.1 statue.

We've all seen the 14.1 statues - the players that stand in one spot looking and mulling over their dilemma ... they just stand there frozen in time ... and instead of increasing their knowledge and perspective of their layout - they rely upon their limited, 1 degree perspective to guide them through their problem. That is not a smart way to live your life - and it is definitely not a smart way to play 14.1.

If there is one thing that will dramatically improve your game overnight - it is taking the time to train yourself to WALK AROUND THE TABLE. Don't stand in one spot - keep moving-looking-and evaluating!

You cannot expect to run high numbers if you do not increase your perspective and see things from 360 degrees. Walking the table will uncover the good, the bad, and the ugly that is hidden within your layout. You can only take advantage of the opportunities that you find - so it is best to be a "Predatorial Opportunity Hunter" as opposed to being being a "Clueless Stationary Statue".

So move! It's the best thing you can do for yourself and for your game. As you walk the table, you can evaluate the layout from every single angle - 360 degrees. You see things from behind the problems areas - from in front and from behind each pocket and from behind and in front of each rail. 360 degree perspective is 360 times more powerful than 1 degree perspective.

1) Players that walk around the table are able to see things that stationary players will never see.

2) Players that walk around the table are able to learn the things that stationary players will never learn.

3) Players that walk around the table are able to run the high numbers that stationary players will never come close to.

Evaluation Mode

I quoted this purely because it deserves to be said again. Great post!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
DO NOT be a 14.1 statue.

Evaluation Mode

Great advice as always David, I'll never forget that you taught me that lesson in my evaluation video. Applying it made such a difference in my game.

I see players in my league at Bayshore Billiards doing this same statuistic thing, I try to correct many of them as I see it but many are just stuck in their ways and yet wonder why they don't improve.

Steve

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
DO NOT be a 14.1 statue.

Evaluation Mode

:)[/QUOTE]

I agree with this for the most part - however there is one important distinction I will contribute - that seems to have been overlooked. Towards the end of the frame (last 5 or six balls) particularly when the rack has been difficult it is a great idea to stop completely. The reason is there may be two or three different end game patterns and this is when a player will not profit from spinning the wheels around the table. So to always be moving and say a player should never take time to create more time would be poor advice. Again a rack that disperse early will be easier to recognize an end game pattern early on and should not require any pause, other end game frames (ones with more options) you may find it is easier to choose a pattern while standing rather than walking. I don't know about the statue but it is a good idea to make a decision while standing rather than walking - most amateur knows this. Do not let anyone dictate your pace - those who really enjoy straight pool often times have more patience to watch a players thought process. remember - everyone has a certain speed of life and no matter if your the hunter or the prey it's never a good idea to get in too much of a hurry.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Evaluation Mode

I agree with this for the most part - however there is one important distinction I will contribute - that seems to have been overlooked. Towards the end of the frame (last 5 or six balls) particularly when the rack has been difficult it is a great idea to stop completely. The reason is there may be two or three different end game patterns and this is when a player will not profit from spinning the wheels around the table. So to always be moving and say a player should never take time to create more time would be poor advice. Again a rack that disperse early will be easier to recognize an end game pattern early on and should not require any pause, other end game frames (ones with more options) you may find it is easier to choose a pattern while standing rather than walking. I don't know about the statue but it is a good idea to make a decision while standing rather than walking - most amateur knows this. Do not let anyone dictate your pace - those who really enjoy straight pool often times have more patience to watch a players thought process. remember - everyone has a certain speed of life and no matter if your the hunter or the prey it's never a good idea to get in too much of a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Danny this is a great post. Thanks for contributing!