Great kick

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very nicely played, but the best part is the level of joy felt and exhibited by the shooter and others at the table. They love their pool in the Philippines and it's on full display here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is magical.

There's a guy with a manzierre in the background and the shot was so good, knocked manzierre into a shirt.

That's powerful.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time spent lining up the angle for the kick = zero.

Time spent imagining po for the next shot = all of it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

OMG, that was unreal! That's what I love about pool, there's always something new that comes along that we've never seen before. It was a great kick shot, but calling the position and dropping the cue ball right there was frck'n UNBELIEVABLE! That's Babe Ruth'esque to call his shot like that. Who is this guy, I don't even know.

What I do know is that the Philippines is FULL of unknown players who could come over here and give all but the best players a wake up call. I've had the good fortune to run into some of them along the way. My last real go round gambling at pool was maybe 8-10 years ago when I foraged all the little rooms in Manila playing five and ten dollar pool, almost always rotation. It wasn't about making money. It was about reliving a great time in my life when I played pool every day and couldn't get enough of it.

They will accommodate you over there if you are looking for a game. Mostly it's small action because no one has a lot of money to gamble with and backers are scarce. You can find big money games but you won't like it. You would be playing some regional monster who spots Efren in 9-Ball. Good luck!

I had fun win or lose. I loved the crowds who gathered around to watch "Joe" play the local champ. If I made a good shot they would cheer for me just the same as if my Pinoy opponent had made it. If I made a good run out to win a game they would cheer even louder. After we were done they would want me to come back and I often did. After a couple of years around Pasay City poolrooms I would get recognized on the street and someone would say "Hey billiard guy." I loved that!

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am intimately familiar with the 3 railer to the hole on my table and I am gonna see if I can do that one now.

Thought you should know.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 tries...best I could do is pictured.

Couldn't get the spin to take after cb made ob.:shrug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191001-184027.jpg
    Screenshot_20191001-184027.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 324

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
OMG, that was unreal! That's what I love about pool, there's always something new that comes along that we've never seen before. It was a great kick shot, but calling the position and dropping the cue ball right there was frck'n UNBELIEVABLE! That's Babe Ruth'esque to call his shot like that. Who is this guy, I don't even know.

What I do know is that the Philippines is FULL of unknown players who could come over here and give all but the best players a wake up call. I've had the good fortune to run into some of them along the way. My last real go round gambling at pool was maybe 8-10 years ago when I foraged all the little rooms in Manila playing five and ten dollar pool, almost always rotation. It wasn't about making money. It was about reliving a great time in my life when I played pool every day and couldn't get enough of it.

They will accommodate you over there if you are looking for a game. Mostly it's small action because no one has a lot of money to gamble with and backers are scarce. You can find big money games but you won't like it. You would be playing some regional monster who spots Efren in 9-Ball. Good luck!

I had fun win or lose. I loved the crowds who gathered around to watch "Joe" play the local champ. If I made a good shot they would cheer for me just the same as if my Pinoy opponent had made it. If I made a good run out to win a game they would cheer even louder. After we were done they would want me to come back and I often did. After a couple of years around Pasay City poolrooms I would get recognized on the street and someone would say "Hey billiard guy." I loved that!

Thanks for sharing your experience Jay. I always love reading your stories.
Also, Im pretty sure youve met or played Bert "Pasay" Dy in Pasay City. He was a top caliber player back in the 80's/90's (still plays today) in that area.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing your experience Jay. I always love reading your stories.
Also, Im pretty sure youve met or played Bert "Pasay" Dy in Pasay City. He was a top caliber player back in the 80's/90's (still plays today) in that area.

Yep. He hung around One Side almost every night looking for action. He played deceptively good, took a strong player to beat him at 9-Ball. I knew I couldn't beat him at 9-Ball but he couldn't beat me at One Pocket. He was always friendly to me and smiled whenever I showed up. He never tried to hustle me to play. Bert is pretty careful who he plays. :wink:

I'm sure he is part of the crowd that hangs in the poolroom at Robinsons Mall Mabini now. That's where all the players go in the day time. I mostly stay in Angeles City when I go there (my wife and I have a house there) and avoid going to Manila if I can help it.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Naw..once it did go rail first, cb then went to bottom rail.

A bunch of running English, hit firmly, so the running spin comes off the last rail as reverse?

I know, I knwo, easy to call it from the cheap seats...

Eric

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A bunch of running English, hit firmly, so the running spin comes off the last rail as reverse?

I know, I knwo, easy to call it from the cheap seats...

Eric

My guess....extreme high ball....the top english is bottom english when it gets to the ball...
...that cue drew off the object ball.

The bit of left english helps also