What does "being sponsored mean"

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No i'm talking on a low level and not the pros or maybe them too. Mostly I am and always have been curious as to what did it entail, there are some local player or whatnot that I have heard or heard mentioned that they got sponsored by X, but with my mind set on the big picture due to pro athletes and such this has always had me wondering. What do they get, where are the scouts or just what is really going on to be honest.

Anyone?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
depends

No i'm talking on a low level and not the pros or maybe them too. Mostly I am and always have been curious as to what did it entail, there are some local player or whatnot that I have heard or heard mentioned that they got sponsored by X, but with my mind set on the big picture due to pro athletes and such this has always had me wondering. What do they get, where are the scouts or just what is really going on to be honest.

Anyone?

Sponsoring for some series involves hundreds of millions of dollars. The sponsorship for even one top division nascar team runs to tens of millions, enough to start a major pool tour!

On the other hand, sponsorship can mean somebody gave a pool player a free t-shirt or put a tip on. Some of the better sponsorships of individual pool players have ran to tens of thousands a year, a pretty decent living.

When I was running dirt track I noticed a tiny decal on a friend's race car door, "Kaiser Aluminum". I inquired why Jr had the decal on the door. He said that Kaiser was sponsoring him. Then I asked why the decal was so small.

"They don't know they are!"

Hu

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It can mean a lot or it can mean a little..

The one thing it means is that that person is representing the sponsoring entity.

When I was a teenager me and a buddy were sponsored by a couple of different companies for racing R/C cars. I was sponsored by Novak and he was sponsored by Losi. I got free speed controls and batteries, and he got a 60% discount on Losi cars and parts.

So like in everything, sponsorship can mean a lot of different things, but the sponsored person represents the company sponsoring them in exchange for whatever...

Jaden

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea i've just kind of been lost on the whole thing and didn't want to ask, even if i knew the person. To me it would mean that like Jaden mentioned free stuff or super discount, but my other thoughts were that they would pay any entry fee for any tourney that we felt you wanted to enter, with limits of course and based on skill level.

Like say a local player of some tour said he got picked up by Lucasi then he/she would have their shaft and/or cue, maybe a triple deal like shoot/break/jump, i don't but like I said I have always been curious as to what "they" were getting out of the deal.

See for myself (and this has no relation with the OP) I was thinking about asking one of my friends who are both room owners to sponsor me for the up coming EXPO, but not that I wanted them to pay for anything for me, just print up some nice Polo's with the room on it and I'd wear it for them really just to promote the room in some way.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I have a friend who is a over 700 FARGO ranking in Wisconsin and he is sponsored by Jacoby. He got his pick of cues up to $X.XX amount as he previously played with a Carolina Custom he purchased from my business partner, prior to that as a Viking Dealer we let him use some of our Viking Cues w/ Vikore shafts.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alright so as expected or was obvious, it's going to depend on a few things on both sides. I guess the skill level of the player and how much they are know for taking part in events, their finishes and such.

Now did they scout these/you guys or how did that go or work out.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
As a Jacoby dealer I have noticed Brandon knows who the best players in the state are and seems to get them on board either as sponsored players or player reps. Jacoby really treats the players in Wisconsin great. A little secret to some is that Jacoby is more of a production company than Schon. If you want to know why PM me. I have nothing but respect for both, as well as, Pechauer and Viking. They all serve a purpose in this industry.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
A great reminder.

It's been a long time coming but I honestly believe that the Molson Family should start sponsoring me for something.

Ingrates. Have they no idea on how much Barley that I have hauled for them, and then partook of the liquid product afterward.

Sure, I have won a couple of Molson tee shirts in a pool tourney. I use em for paint shirts and toss em when they need a wash.

So anyway, short story long as I have known for.

I used to sponsor all the pool tourneys that I could, and steak nights etc. In the form of cue tips and shaft cleanings, lots of em, in the form of certificates that could be raffled. It was the best that I could do, short of money.

So, one time, a team had a steak night to raise money to travel to the Western Canadians. The steak night didn't go, but some guy called me and then came over. he was related to the people that put on the No Go Steak Night. Strangely enuff, it seems as tho he won all of the raffles.

He showed up with a handful of certificates and a full cue case. I honored the certificates but that was the last time that I handed any out.

And this FKer better never need another tip on a cue, cause he be paying full pop for it. For a long time. Yeah, me Love you long time. More like, me remember you for long time, pool playa.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
You gotta be kidding!!

A great reminder.

It's been a long time coming but I honestly believe that the Molson Family should start sponsoring me for something.

Ingrates. Have they no idea on how much Barley that I have hauled for them, and then partook of the liquid product afterward.

Sure, I have won a couple of Molson tee shirts in a pool tourney. I use em for paint shirts and toss em when they need a wash.

So anyway, short story long as I have known for.

I used to sponsor all the pool tourneys that I could, and steak nights etc. In the form of cue tips and shaft cleanings, lots of em, in the form of certificates that could be raffled. It was the best that I could do, short of money.

So, one time, a team had a steak night to raise money to travel to the Western Canadians. The steak night didn't go, but some guy called me and then came over. he was related to the people that put on the No Go Steak Night. Strangely enuff, it seems as tho he won all of the raffles.

He showed up with a handful of certificates and a full cue case. I honored the certificates but that was the last time that I handed any out.

And this FKer better never need another tip on a cue, cause he be paying full pop for it. For a long time. Yeah, me Love you long time. More like, me remember you for long time, pool playa.

Seriously f'd up.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll use myself as an example. I'm sponsored by a local cue maker Terry Roach from the Kansas City area. It's an equipment sponsorship. I play with his cues, player, break, and jump. It's been a good relationship. When people ask about my cue, I'll tell them about it and hand out his business cards which I keep in my case. I also wear shirts with his design. I help spread the word about his cues and keeps my costs down with any tip work and equipment.

http://www.roachcustomcues.com/#!sponsorship/c1smj

I'm not a top player but am competitive on an amateur level. Hope this helps. One other thing that's important as mentioned earlier, you are a representative to cue maker. Take it seriously because your actions will also represent them and their product.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Sounds like you have a good relationship Dard, and that you try and work for what you have received.

Can't do much better than that.

Not like others that have either sold or gambled their free cues away. And that has happened. You know that. It puts a bad taste in a cue makers mouth and likely no other will ever be on the receiving end of a sponsor cue, from that maker anyway.

Last edited:

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll use myself as an example. I'm sponsored by a local cue maker Terry Roach from the Kansas City area. It's an equipment sponsorship. I play with his cues, player, break, and jump. It's been a good relationship. When people ask about my cue, I'll tell them about it and hand out his business cards which I keep in my case. I also wear shirts with his design. I help spread the word about his cues and keeps my costs down with any tip work and equipment.

http://www.roachcustomcues.com/#!sponsorship/c1smj

I'm not a top player but am competitive on an amateur level. Hope this helps. One other thing that's important as mentioned earlier, you are a representative to cue maker. Take it seriously because your actions will also represent them and their product.

This is a lot closer to what I suspected one being sponsored would be, I expect the same if you were sponsored by saw cuetec or lucasi then they would do the same. But say on a pro level i wondered if entry fee or any of that came into play. I guess what i'm getting at is that since pool for the most part is not that large of a sport i didnt understand what sponsorship would be, like for appleton or mika but maybe less so mike so let's use Ralf for now, since they are not "in the eye" that much I just find it hard to pay for a patch on ones arm.

I guess i'm unofficially sponsored myself, since I promote the hell out of my cue maker and my friends pool halls.... (with that squinting eye) but i don't get anything back in return, hmmm

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'm sponsored for entry fees...

This is a lot closer to what I suspected one being sponsored would be, I expect the same if you were sponsored by saw cuetec or lucasi then they would do the same. But say on a pro level i wondered if entry fee or any of that came into play. I guess what i'm getting at is that since pool for the most part is not that large of a sport i didnt understand what sponsorship would be, like for appleton or mika but maybe less so mike so let's use Ralf for now, since they are not "in the eye" that much I just find it hard to pay for a patch on ones arm.

I guess i'm unofficially sponsored myself, since I promote the hell out of my cue maker and my friends pool halls.... (with that squinting eye) but i don't get anything back in return, hmmm

I'm sponsored by SoCal Tap for my entry fees on the Mezz West State Tour. I pay travel costs but my entry fees are covered.

So, yes, entry fees can come into play.

Jaden

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you have a good relationship Dard, and that you try and work for what you have received.

Can't do much better than that.

Not like others that have either sold or gambled their free cues away. And that has happened. You know that. It puts a bad taste in a cue makers mouth and likely no other will ever be on the receiving end of a sponsor cue, from that maker anyway.

Yeah, it's funny that you should say that. Terry has talked to other cue makers (well known) for advice about sponsoring players. They echoed what you said with a lot of horror stories about selling their equipment, etc. and won't do it again.

This is where among other things that the players bite the hand that can feed them. I don't blame the cue makers at all. But, if both parties are up front with what is expected, it can be beneficial to everyone.

The top guys like SVB and a few others I'm pretty sure are paid for sponsorship. It's a return of investment. What is the value that the sponsored player is bringing to the table. SVB will sell a lot of cues for Cue Tech so there is a monetary value. In my instance, I have brought some business to Terry. A few have bought cues and others bring him stuff to repair. The biggest thing that I can bring him is, that since he is a fairly new cue maker, I can help him with branding on a local level. If I was a top guy, I would probably look for more incentives such as a stipend from a sponsor.

I also have a sponsorship from a local pool room. I can practice there for free and I help them with some tournaments and other things. I won't practice during busy times so I'm not taking any potential income from them. I would look at doing something like that with your friends poolroom if you haven't already. Talk to your cue maker about sponsorship. But, have a plan and be able to explain to them why sponsoring you will bring them value. Best of luck.

Last edited:

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True about biting the hand that feeds. There was a player from NY "who will remain nameless" who played out of Master that picked up a good sponsor and he turned around and sold the cue before a big tourney, when they asked "why aren't you playing with out cue?" well you could guess how that went, needless to say he was dropped.

unfortunately dardsum, I don't play enough to warrant being sponsored, everyone who know me knows that I won't miss a thing if I had the time. So because of this and my love for pool and people that actually do things for pool i am quite comfortable with the free advertising. I wear there usual house shirts as is but for like the Expo I would like for them to make up a polo that really advertise the room more and not show off a logo.

It was really good hearing from some of you that have or are sponsored, I guess my last question would be what is the average speed of you guys or the ones that you know? how long have they been playing at that speed or you? and overall how public are they/you? like are you in the local tourney a lot, well known and overall a nice guy, are you in an area where say a scout would know about you, or did you come up under the wing of someone who fits that description and got in as a prospect on the strength of that person although they themselves may not be sponsored.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True about biting the hand that feeds. There was a player from NY "who will remain nameless" who played out of Master that picked up a good sponsor and he turned around and sold the cue before a big tourney, when they asked "why aren't you playing with out cue?" well you could guess how that went, needless to say he was dropped.

unfortunately dardsum, I don't play enough to warrant being sponsored, everyone who know me knows that I won't miss a thing if I had the time. So because of this and my love for pool and people that actually do things for pool i am quite comfortable with the free advertising. I wear there usual house shirts as is but for like the Expo I would like for them to make up a polo that really advertise the room more and not show off a logo.

It was really good hearing from some of you that have or are sponsored, I guess my last question would be what is the average speed of you guys or the ones that you know? how long have they been playing at that speed or you? and overall how public are they/you? like are you in the local tourney a lot, well known and overall a nice guy, are you in an area where say a scout would know about you, or did you come up under the wing of someone who fits that description and got in as a prospect on the strength of that person although they themselves may not be sponsored.

I've been around this game for a long time in this area and have networked with lots of people including room owners, etc. That helps when looking for sponsorship. I'm not sure what you mean by a scout because there just isn't much money in this sport. The very top can get money sponsorship but I think a decent local player that has the right attitude can get the same type of sponsorship that I have. (equipment sponsor, room sponsor for practice, Investors for bigger tournaments) I personally get frustrated when I see a aspiring young player get so emotional and act like an ass because they are losing potential opportunities at sponsorship. You never know who is watching and what they can do in terms of sponsorship. Emotions can be ok just don't act like an ass.

The player needs to be creative and genuine. Whomever you approach, be professional and organized. Let the person or entity know what you can do for them or their product.

A few years ago, I created a prospectus of myself with my goals, resume, etc to sell shares for a series of 5 tournaments. I sold shares for $25 a piece. Say a tournament would cost me $200 including expenses (travel, hotel, entry). I would sell 8 shares. If I cashed at the tournament, then the shareholders would get back their initial investment. Any other money would divided up 50/50 with the shareholders. Say I cashed for $240 in a tournament, the shareholders would get back $27.50 for each share. 240 - 200 initial investment = 40 / 2 = 20 / 8 = 2.50 dividend. I happened to meet a local league player that bought all of my shares after reviewing the prospectus. Him and his brother have been staking me to bigger tournaments ever since. They are up a little bit after probably about 12 tournaments. It's been fun and I provide them with a full write up and accounting after each tournament. It allowed me to play in a few more tournaments and they enjoy the game and reading the write ups, etc.

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best advice to get sponsorship - just ask!

I played the Florida Tour in the early to mid 90s and received a fairly good stake from a local auto dealer along with five quality golf shirts with his logo clearly shown on the left front.

I wore the shirts at tournaments...which were a 1/2 hour to five hours away from his dealership...and I always wore his shirt at practice at the local room where I had free pool.

He basically thought if was fun for me to come in now and then and chat about things...but what made the deal worth it for him was that I had his business cards with my name on the back which I gave to interested parties. I was always on the lookout for people talking about vehicle purchases and ask if they would consider my sponsor's company and that they would get good consideration. Those cardholders were treated well by the owner who signed off on sales and some did buy vehicles.

Moral? Don't limit yourself to businesses inside the pool industry.