My 14.1 Book

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Many people have been inquiring about when my book will be ready. I have had a few legal snags, and I am currently re-doing the diagrams for the book and re-editing some of the text.

Wei was kind enough to allow me to use the Cue Table to make these diagrams - I will be donating a portion of the book sales to CueTable, and I would ask everybody that appreciates that service to also support the website. This tool has made this much much easier for me.

but..

Re-doing all of the diagrams has been painstaking because during some test printings, the balls were not showing up clearly - which has made this even more time consuming. Let me know if you prefer the darker balls - or if you would prefer them to be clear. This book will only be printed in Black and White - so no color options.

Below is a sneak-peak sample of the new diagrams that will be in the book, which I hope to have completed in the next few weeks, deadline is now February 1.

While republishing the book, for legal reasons, I will be re-titling it. I have narrowed it down to 3 titles:

Straight Pool Knowledge
Blackjack's Straight Pool Handbook
Straight Pool Secrets They Don't Want You To Know About ( :p )

I kind of like the last one myself... lol

Here are some samples of the new diagrams - these diagrams will be edited again during the final draft of the book. The text has been edited considerably - there will be clearer explanations in the finished book.

BASIC END SEQUENCE
In the diagrams below, I outline a very basic 14.1 end sequence.

Basic_end_sequence_Start-1.gif

In this situation, we are down to the final balls in the rack.

We need to identify 3 important balls in this sequence

A) The Break Ball
B) The Key Ball
C) The Set Up Ball.

By examining the diagram, we can see that our best break ball is obviously the 2 ball. From there, we must look at which ball (key ball) will get us an ideal break shot on the 2 ball. We can choose either the 5 ball or the 4 ball - but let's stay with what is easiest, and make the 4 ball our key ball. All we have to do is get a nice straight in stop shot on the 4 in the side, and we are well on our way into the next rack.

This makes either the 5 or the 6 our set up ball. We cannot realistically or easily pocket the 5 ball from our present cue ball position, so this makes the 5 ball our "set up" ball.

Basic_end_sequence-1.gif

In the above diagram, I have outlined the proper "End Pattern", or "End Sequence" for the remaining balls. This is a general pattern that needs to be followed to get to my break ball. The 15 ball is designated as the key ball, and its position ensures that I will have a good shot on the 2 ball for my next break shot. My main goal now becomes getting a "straight in" stop shot on the 15 into side pocket "B".

Notice that in this diagram, we are only using one end of the table. Personally, I don't like hitting my break shots very hard. I like to keep the balls at the "rack end" of the table so that I can minimize cue ball movement. Keeping the balls at this end of the table will also increase my options if I need to manufacture a break ball. It will also give me many key ball and set up ball options.

At the most, I will have maybe one ball roll past the side pockets on my primary and secondary break shots. When you learn to utilize the table in this fashion, your confidence will increase when dealing with clusters, manufacturing a break ball, and utilizing the proper patterns.

Basic_end_sequence_result-1.gif

The result you get is a good, workable break shot, using the 2 ball.

By properly planning the end sequence, you have increased your odds of getting into the next rack, and perhaps another, and then another.

Just follow this rule: Plan and then execute.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I definitely like the dark balls.

I also like the "capital punishment" approach to 14.1.......plan, then execute.

I'll place an order as soon as I know how and where. Good luck with the book.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
David:

Very nice. Very Clear. Put me down for one for sure.

How many pages are we projecting? ( The more, the better, in my opinion)

agt

Registered
Just saw this thread after asking same question in a PM. Looks great. Looking forward to it. Personally, like both (of the serious) title ideas, but need input from someone much smarter than me regarding titles and effective marketing.

poolshark52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice!

I Like The Dark Balls Also. It Will Be A Good Tool For Me Also! Im Gettin So Old I For Got A Lot Of The Patterns! Ill Get A Book As Soon As They Come Out. Good Luck And I Hope You Get All The Snags Straitened Out Buddy!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
... Re-doing all of the diagrams has been painstaking because during some test printings, the balls were not showing up clearly - which has made this even more time consuming. Let me know if you prefer the darker balls - or if you would prefer them to be clear. This book will only be printed in Black and White - so no color options.

Below is a sneak-peak sample of the new diagrams that will be in the book, which I hope to have completed in the next few weeks, deadline is now February 1. ...
You will need to review the diagrams again, it looks like. The balls in the first and second diagrams are in different positions. In either case, it looks like it will be impossible to make the cue ball take the illustrated line from the 6 to the 5 without masse -- the first diagram has the balls angled to the wrong side and the second has the balls perfectly straight in. Straight pool often depends on having the cue ball correct within half a ball, and I think the diagrams need to reflect that.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
You will need to review the diagrams again, it looks like. The balls in the first and second diagrams are in different positions. In either case, it looks like it will be impossible to make the cue ball take the illustrated line from the 6 to the 5 without masse -- the first diagram has the balls angled to the wrong side and the second has the balls perfectly straight in. Straight pool often depends on having the cue ball correct within half a ball, and I think the diagrams need to reflect that.

Bob

This is just a sneak preview of what the book will look like - as I said in the orginal post, these are not the finished diagrams and the text has been drastically condensed in this thread to give a general appearance of the book. I just wanted to see how people liked the clarity of the diagrams - the flaw in the ball positions you mentioned has already been corrected, as I said, these are drafts, not the finished product.

My deadline for this project is February 1, maybe earlier, I am guessing the book will be about 200-220 pages.

Pat... what do you mean you forgot the patterns? You ran a 154 just a few months ago... lol

Last edited:

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:

I agree.

Blackjack,
First let me say I have been one of the many waiting for your book. Your contributions here are superior. I get the impression from your posts and also from your 14.1 ability that you are a detail oriented person. In the second diagram above the first shot looks dead straight in and I agree with Bob Jewett's comment. The cue in that diagram needs to be adjusted to justify the cueball path as shown to then get shape on the 5ball. I know you are more than aware of this.
Experienced players I think know what your showing and understand your diagram as it is now but beginners and intermediates will be scratching there heads.
Anyway, I can't wait to get you book. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just read your last post so please ignore mine.

Your choice of title is very good. I'm not sure there isn't even a better title. I have been playing 14.1 all my life and I find I still learned a lot from your posts. Your book may be the most informative and detailed 14.1 book ever.

Forgive me for blowing my own horn but I gave Lawrence Moy the idea for his "Straight Pool Bible" that he wrote with Babe Cranfield. I'll tell the story some other time.

Having said this, I can't wait to own and study yours.

Also the dark object balls are the best. There just easy to see and understand very quickly.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
VKJ said:
Just read your last post so please ignore mine.

Your choice of title is very good. I'm not sure there isn't even a better title. I have been playing 14.1 all my life and I find I still learned a lot from your posts. Your book may be the most informative and detailed 14.1 book ever.

Forgive me for blowing my own horn but I gave Lawrence Moy the idea for his "Straight Pool Bible" that he wrote with Babe Cranfield. I'll tell the story some other time.

Having said this, I can't wait to own and study yours.

Also the dark object balls are the best. There just easy to see and understand very quickly.

Thanks for your kind words... the delays have been because of having about 90 projects going on at once - believe me, I cannot wait until I am finsihed with this book.

Here are the finished diagrams -

Basic_end_sequence_Start-2.gif

Basic_end_sequence-1.gif

Basic_end_sequence_result-1.gif

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Straight Pool Secrets They Don't Want You To Know About" MUST be the title of the book, it dosent get any better for alot of reasons. :p

since i'm the worst 14.1 player in the world that can play a little, I have no credentials to suggest anything for your book, but I will make one suggestion anyways :). The balls look good dark but the 9-15 look funny with the stripe on them, I know the balls need to numbered for referencing shots but I think you should consider making them all solids, because they would all look the same in the diagrams and there isnt the optical illusuion of having the solids and stripes like in the diagrams above, it is easier to look at the stack when all the balls are solids to me, the stripes mean nothing and the people buying this book know that. Having perfect graphics is the most important thing here not recreating a pool table, When you write "8 Ball Secrest They Don't Want You To Know About" then put the stripes on the balls. :D

COLLECTION GURU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie Bet More??????????

Williebetmore said:
I definitely like the dark balls.

I also like the "capital punishment" approach to 14.1.......plan, then execute.

I'll place an order as soon as I know how and where. Good luck with the book.

IF WILLIE WANTS ONE, SO DO I AS HE ALREADY BEATS ME LIKE A DRUM.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
COLLECTION GURU said:
IF WILLIE WANTS ONE, SO DO I AS HE ALREADY BEATS ME LIKE A DRUM.

CG,
That was a futile attempt on your part to "poor mouth" your game. I know what your high run is (way higher than mine), and I'm taking our re-match very seriously (thinking of hiring some dancing girls just to shark you while you are shooting). Practice hard.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
... Here are the finished diagrams -
The ball positions in the two diagrams look identical now, but the shots on the 6 ball are dead straight into the center of the corner pocket. I don't think most players would choose to cheat the pocket and bring the cue ball over at a 30-degree draw angle in that situation. My solution to the exact position shown would be to follow forward and take the longer shot on the 5.

Again: I think in a book like this accurate diagrams are very important.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Fatboy

A friend of mine discussed that with me also, and that is one of the reasons I made this post - here are example of some of the ball options...

I prefer B & D myself, just need some input on which is more clear for others to see.

balls_Sets.gif

Last edited:

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
sign me up for a signed copy blackjack :D

i was just starting to enjoy 9ball and now you will be taking me back to 14-1 with this book. can't wait to read what i REALLY need. a good PLAN !
thanks for all the help you gave me already, and for taking the time to write the book !

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Fatboy

A friend of mine discussed that with me also, and that is one of the reasons I made this post - here are example of some of the ball options...

I prefer B & D myself, just need some input on which is more clear for others to see.

balls_Sets.gif

I think "D" is by far the best, the balls that are just circles are hard for me to see, the stripes are distracting and usless as this is a niche market book for players and dosent matter, "D" in my opinion shows the balls/stack the best and that is the most important thing for your illustrations.

I hope I can get to double digit innings with the help of this book, my high run is 8. I can beat the 6 ball ghost more games in a row than I can run balls in 14.1, thats weak.....depending on how you look at it. I just cant play straight pool. I love to watch it and wish I could play it but man I miss everything when I try and play it.

I made 52 spot shots in a row without a miss in 93, recently I made about 18 in a row but am playing better pool than ever some nights funny how things work sometimes, but man when it comes to 14.1 there is no game in the world that I play weaker, that game makes me miss any ball at any time, i'm serious 8-10 might be my high run. Anything over 5 is a good inning.

Last edited:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the all dark / black balls no stripes.

I also think the better the diagrams the better the book.

Attention to detail will make the info better for the reader no matter their level.

I just had a lesson from Blackjack in Orlando and he was relentless with all of his ideas on straight pool.

I need to apply some of this new knowledge and crank up my hi run.

I will be ordering a book as soon as they are available.

I have the 9B book he wrote and that is good book so I think the striaght pool book she good too.