Snooker vs Pool players - More fuel for the fire

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
I don't get it. You don't want to read it after all the mistruths you said of me? Wow. You are something else. I only hope those that have sided with you take a peek at my posts, if for nothing else trying to find a way to hang me. Maybe your friends/mates will see what I've been saying.

The Fred has always been there for people to read Fred, you can cut bits out and quote little peices all you like to try to misrepresent me, its funny I would have just linked to the thread if I was that desperate. Anyway like I said its way past time I stopped this, I like a friendly debae as much as the next guy but that doesn't seem possible wiht you. BTW I don't know most of the people that have attacked you or defended me, so inferring they are all my mates is another lie. Its 1am so please just forget it.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Actually one of those links/quotes from TheOne nailed the only point I ever made on this thread.

TheOne said:
a) Pure Pool players (AND FRED EFREN IS NOT ONE OF THEM AS HE ALSO PLAYED SNOOKER) have no chance to compete with the top snooker pro's.

While that is totally true I was basically saying over the course of this thread the exact same thing, only going the other way.

Celtic'sPoint said:
a) Pure Snooker players (AND THEONE DRAGO AND MANALO ARE NOT ONE OF THEM AS THEY ALSO PLAYED POOL) have no chance to compete with the top pool pro's.

That is pretty much all I had to say. A pure snooker player no matter how good is going to need to have put some time into pool in the past or put alot of time into pool in the future to maybe get good enough to compete with the top pool players in a race of meaningful length (I could snap off a race to 5 or perhaps even 9 against Efren and that would mean nothing as to which of us are better at pool).

F

Fred Agnir

TheOne said:
BTW I don't know most of the people that have attacked you or defended me, so inferring they are all my mates is another lie. Its 1am so please just forget it.

I didn't say anything about all of them being your mates. I just said your friends/mates. I believe you do have friends and mates on this board.

Fred

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
LastTwo, you crack me up. Just so I get this straight,

- Drago doesn't count as a converted snooker player because he practised hard!
- Fisher etc. don't count as converted snooker players because they are women?
- Manalo doesn't count because he played some pool, oh and despite most of the world even himself and Efren in interviews, he told you he wasn't a snooker player?

I know I know Im a slow learning but I starting to understand why everyone told me I'm wasting my time LOL

If Ronnie won everything he played in in Novemeber I'm sure you would unearth that he played some carom in his eary teens or he was really born a women LOL

As amusing as you are, there really is nothing any snooker player can do is there that will convince you that:

"its easier for snooker players to convert to pool than visa versa"

(Hey Fred, my AZ wordsmith, did I get that right or did I misplace a word or two?)

Are you travelling around the world to play pool or to smoke pot??? I'm not even going to bother explaining for the 5th time. Just like Fred is telling you to do, go back and read some posts before you start with your blabber. If you are stoned then I completely understand.

daddypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. I feel this thread and topic is something very personal to a couple of people. I had wanted to contribute since page one, but did not, as i sort of guess where it might head. Its almost like discussing religion. Each party can contribut only so much, but to convince the other party, is almost a miracle!

That being said, somehow, i did follow the thread, cos it is interesting, aside from the remarks and name-calling.

Before anything else..I'm impressed with the amount of effort and time Fred takes to stand his point. I do feel you are a very smart intellectual. Craig however, seems to be able to control his frustration over the matter more, and is in a position to just say his point with his experience in both snooker & pool, and also the fact that it is almost a laughing matter if snooker is considered an easy game!

then again, I see Fred's point. He agrees, but his stand would be that pool players can do well, if given enough time and dedication.

If I may, here is my opinion, having played snooker for over 10years, not competitively, as it is too hard to turn pro,with just a couple of century breaks in my life,(but plenty of 90+ breaks..dogged the crucial balls!)

Its also about technique, stance,etc. Top pool players have a "pool" style, be it aiming system, stroke, stance, or 'feel'....that gets you improving in pool over the years, and getting really efficient, but that would not work on a snooker table as well, even with long hours of training for years. For the snooker player, the basics and fundamentals are more sound, so the instant trasition can get them making balls and running out, which is enough to handle amateur top pool players, but to take on top pros, you still have to dedicate time and effort like Drago, and Davis.

Some snooker players play for years without being able to make a decent 60-70 break, not to mention a century break. While some 16 year old kids in UK, and Thailand are making centuries like almost on a daily basis. Thats just being gifted and talented, with a lot of desire and determination. Theres no luck factor there.

Kids like these, obviously look down on pool, as its like a child's play to make balls...only when they try to compete against top players, they realise there is so much more to learn.

Just like Craig, thats why snooker players like me, switch to pool, cos we can run 5racks of 9ball occasionally(if balls roll our way,on the break)..and we will learn so much more there is to offer in pool and its nuances. we may even stand a better chance to compete at a pro level..(and we both have matched up with them, and did respectfully). We can never do that in snooker. Ronnie,Hendry,Davis, White,etc..are all top cueists in the world of snooker.

well, this can become a long essay, so I'll end it by stating some of my personal experiences.

Before I switched to pool.
1st 8ball game I played against a decent player who can run out an open table with enough ease, I lost 4 out of 7 sets, for $50per set. (Damn! I lost $50!)then we played snooker, I beat him 10 sets(frames) to zero..(wow! I won $500)

During my snooker days, i like to drink, so in bars, i joined weekly 8ball tournaments,almost drunk, i have gotten to the finals,and had my fair share of 1st place.And aginst real pool players,...

I might not be very talented,(although i still am hoping i am in a way!),but because I was a decent snooker player, my basics and fundamentals gave me an edge, when compared to pool players.

No doubt now after 3years of pool, i learn so much that I realise its actually harder, cos its harder to win! every one can play so good.it has become a game of stronger mind and determination and some luck! But i LOVE it! I will keep playing pool and learning till my body can't take it with age anymore!

for 4 days last week, i finally took my snooker cue out to play some. I could barely make any long shots, and when i get close range shots, if i can ,make a break of 30, it was like a super achievement, cos it was just too bloddy hard! I guess I am a pool player now.

Lastly, some pool players with very good technique if they were to switch to snooker would have to be Souquet, Hohmann, Feijen (although the sighting might hinder his progress a bit),Yang,Orcullo..by the way Immonen was a snooker player who converted to pool.

sorry for the long post. couldnt help it.
daddypool

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
daddypool said:
Hi. I feel this thread and topic is something very personal to a couple of people. I had wanted to contribute since page one, but did not, as i sort of guess where it might head. Its almost like discussing religion. Each party can contribut only so much, but to convince the other party, is almost a miracle!

That being said, somehow, i did follow the thread, cos it is interesting, aside from the remarks and name-calling.

Before anything else..I'm impressed with the amount of effort and time Fred takes to stand his point. I do feel you are a very smart intellectual. Craig however, seems to be able to control his frustration over the matter more, and is in a position to just say his point with his experience in both snooker & pool, and also the fact that it is almost a laughing matter if snooker is considered an easy game!

then again, I see Fred's point. He agrees, but his stand would be that pool players can do well, if given enough time and dedication.

If I may, here is my opinion, having played snooker for over 10years, not competitively, as it is too hard to turn pro,with just a couple of century breaks in my life,(but plenty of 90+ breaks..dogged the crucial balls!)

Its also about technique, stance,etc. Top pool players have a "pool" style, be it aiming system, stroke, stance, or 'feel'....that gets you improving in pool over the years, and getting really efficient, but that would not work on a snooker table as well, even with long hours of training for years. For the snooker player, the basics and fundamentals are more sound, so the instant trasition can get them making balls and running out, which is enough to handle amateur top pool players, but to take on top pros, you still have to dedicate time and effort like Drago, and Davis.

Some snooker players play for years without being able to make a decent 60-70 break, not to mention a century break. While some 16 year old kids in UK, and Thailand are making centuries like almost on a daily basis. Thats just being gifted and talented, with a lot of desire and determination. Theres no luck factor there.

Kids like these, obviously look down on pool, as its like a child's play to make balls...only when they try to compete against top players, they realise there is so much more to learn.

Just like Craig, thats why snooker players like me, switch to pool, cos we can run 5racks of 9ball occasionally(if balls roll our way,on the break)..and we will learn so much more there is to offer in pool and its nuances. we may even stand a better chance to compete at a pro level..(and we both have matched up with them, and did respectfully). We can never do that in snooker. Ronnie,Hendry,Davis, White,etc..are all top cueists in the world of snooker.

well, this can become a long essay, so I'll end it by stating some of my personal experiences.

Before I switched to pool.
1st 8ball game I played against a decent player who can run out an open table with enough ease, I lost 4 out of 7 sets, for $50per set. (Damn! I lost $50!)then we played snooker, I beat him 10 sets(frames) to zero..(wow! I won $500)

During my snooker days, i like to drink, so in bars, i joined weekly 8ball tournaments,almost drunk, i have gotten to the finals,and had my fair share of 1st place.And aginst real pool players,...

I might not be very talented,(although i still am hoping i am in a way!),but because I was a decent snooker player, my basics and fundamentals gave me an edge, when compared to pool players.

No doubt now after 3years of pool, i learn so much that I realise its actually harder, cos its harder to win! every one can play so good.it has become a game of stronger mind and determination and some luck! But i LOVE it! I will keep playing pool and learning till my body can't take it with age anymore!

for 4 days last week, i finally took my snooker cue out to play some. I could barely make any long shots, and when i get close range shots, if i can ,make a break of 30, it was like a super achievement, cos it was just too bloddy hard! I guess I am a pool player now.

Lastly, some pool players with very good technique if they were to switch to snooker would have to be Souquet, Hohmann, Feijen (although the sighting might hinder his progress a bit),Yang,Orcullo..by the way Immonen was a snooker player who converted to pool.

sorry for the long post. couldnt help it.
daddypool

Good post.

Since Craig ignored it, please read post #78 in this thread and tell me what you think.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will add my limited experience based on 43 years of pool....the first 25 or so were nothing but snooker...the last several with the big balls.

First, I love snooker, and given a choice, I would play nothing else...sort of like a straight pool player. I love the strategy of the game and the fact that (theoretically, anyways) you are never out of the game. The big table, the small balls, the rounded pockets all bring their own problems to the forefront, but you really learn how to stroke balls well and pocket them.

I never had an appreciation for 8 or 9 ball and got away from all billiards for a long time. I came back when I moved to the DC area, but that was in 8/9 ball leagues with the APA. I love the competition of the leagues, etc and have been to Vegas several times with teams over the last few years.

When I started playing 8/9 ball, I could make the shots, but I had absolutely no idea as to the strategy of those games. Moving the ball around the table was tough for me also. I also had to get used to the "tits" on the side pockets which kept creeping into my side shots. After much work and practice, I feel pretty good about things in 8/9 ball and feel that my snooker strategic play experience helped me immensely.

I guess what I am trying to say is that they are 2 different games, each with strong points and weaker points to each. Things can be taken from each that would help with the other.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Good comments ...

Bamacues said:
I guess what I am trying to say is that they are 2 different games, each with strong points and weaker points to each. Things can be taken from each that would help with the other.

Tap .. Tap ,, Tap ... and those 2 sentences sum up what the essence
of all the snooker vs. pool threads were about, and the O'Sullivan
threads tooi ... See there, it only took 2 sentences, not 30+ pages ...

Things can be taken from each .... Not, absolutely wiil be taken
or that things will override all other considerations of the other.

I haven't played snooker for years and years, only 'golf' on a snooker
table, and I would be willing to bet that I could be hitting them pretty
sporty on a snooker table with 1-2 weeks practice, and that would consist
of 'sighting in' my aim on a snooker table.

I only got taken once on a snooker table, when I was 19, I played the
best snooker player in this little farming town, and he was a farmer that
like to play snooker when things weren't right for farming. Problem was,
his friends had seen me shoot Pool, and I beat everyone, so the Farmer
would only play Snooker with me if I spotted him 40 points. I did and I beat
him, then he would not play anymore unless I spotted him 60 points. I did
and I ended up losing, but not by much, and not bad. A good Pool player
can narrow his line of aim, and it won't take him that long to 'sight in'.

snooker_boy_124

to Fred
I wanted to add some facts to the efren ronnie story . I personaly know a Guy who was there when the action happened
First RONNIE WAS NOT A PRO AT THAT TIME HE WAS ABOUT 14 OR 15 YEARS OLD AND THE TOUNAMENT THAT EFREN WON WAS NOT A PRO LEVEL TOURNANMENT . IT WAS NOTHING LIKE THE TOURNAMENTS IN ENGLAND .

anyway i just wanted to make things clear here

I played alot of snooker and find the game MUCH MUCH harder than 9ball
iam not a pro snooker player and when i switched to 9ball i've beaten alot of pros in that game !!!

Fred did you know that when John horsfall won Reno open he played with his snooker cue and he was not even a 9ball player at that time and he didnt have a good break in 9 ball at that time because he was a full time snooker player and he was not a pro either

anyway bottom line is Snooker a much harder game than 9ball
i played both games and thats what i came out with .

daddypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
Good post.

Since Craig ignored it, please read post #78 in this thread and tell me what you think.

Post #78?
That was a good post too, well thought out & explained, but the claims in the last 2 paragraphs are very debatable, and until more than a handful of success stories of top pro pool players switching to snooker, comes into the picture..It is so much more easier to not believe that will happen.

I see it this way...thats is like saying, a ball banger, in a pub, can make a ball accurately into the centre of the pocket, and say, back spin or "set up" for the next ball...and can run out. I know many ball bangers capable of that on a 7 footer bar box, playing 8ball...they feel their invisible, cos they can "control" cue ball and make a run out.....NOW, the same people, on a nine footer, playing 9ball, can barely run 5balls open table!.....Now why is that? they do hit the centre of the pocket, they do know how to set up...but....???(It could even be 8ball on a 9footer for that matter!)

One reason is the level of consistency and difficulty of the table itself, the strategies, and the patterns to set up are different AND HARDER! And hence lack of confidence in own's own capabilitity on the bigger table and when you have less confidence, that's it...Your game is gone!

Now, same thing with pool players approaching snooker on the GIANT table!(to some)

whereas, snooker players, switching to a smaller 9footer feels similar to a pro 9baller, switching to play some bar box 7footer...It may get more congested, but as soon as there is an open table, only carelessness will make you not run out.

I hope I make some sense..again, I'm just a pool player now, who used to play snooker for over 10years,but right now, pool is a much harder game for me, cos i demand so much more from myself, and the competition is tougher, and the level of concentration is so much more needed. One slip you can be sitting down for the rest of the match! But snooker is too much harder that I can only play with players my own speed. with pool I can take on some pros, with decent results.
daddypool

Since I had to spend some time after school in detention/brat camp/reform school, I missed all of the happenings here. I was totally shut out.

Can someone please tell me what happened to Fred Agnir?? Why is he now listed as "guest"?? Was he banned also, and if so, for what reason?
In other words...what the hell is goin' on here?

magician

magician
i grew up playing snooker in the uk,then played uk8ball,now playing 9ball and loving it.i must admit that i have total respect for anybody that has put in the hours on any cue sport table and has achieved a good standard of play.i must say though that i think we are all at a stalemate in this forum,steve davis finished snooker and started to play 9ball and got to the semi finals of the world champs,but on the other hand cliff thorburn finished playing 9ball and won the world champs at snooker.i think its just down to the game we are brought up with is the one we love,but nothing should stop us from trying our hand at another cue sport for the challenge of the game.,give credit where it is due,if snooker players want to play pool or pool players want to play snooker,just welcome them and enjoy the different styles of play,who knows,we might learn something new from either.

Last edited:

daddypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very well said, magician...just to bad not everyone feels that way. Even if they do feel that way,some will go into other details, and prove a point or another..which is fine as well...oh well..anyway...we all love cuesports!

Buckster_uk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Cliff start out as an exclusive Snooker player? I think it maybe the other way round, and he later moved into 9-ball.

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
LOL you're one funny guy Fred, from what I saw people where calling you stuff like that a) before I got involved in the original thread and b) on other boards long long time before I tried to make you see sense. Did somebody else misrepresnt you there, or was that my fault too? :confused:

Thanks Trophy cue, it wasn't easy but I tried!
And a valiant effort it has been...........right ,wrong ,or indifferent........your arguements have been presented in a gentlemanly fashion...........must be that snooker background......lol~!

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
Since I had to spend some time after school in detention/brat camp/reform school, I missed all of the happenings here. I was totally shut out.

Can someone please tell me what happened to Fred Agnir?? Why is he now listed as "guest"?? Was he banned also, and if so, for what reason?

Welcome back man. I'm wondering the same thing about Fred.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:

Hi drivermaker,
I missed u man.
Vagabond

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:

Turns out Fred had his username deleted. TheOne has been arguing with Fred in a very mocking and condescending tone the whole time, and Fred finally cracked and made a remark. A couple of TheOne's groupies like vagabond and a few others insulted Fred, and it seems he got fed up with everything. I don't blame him.

Craig in case you don't know what it means, go do a google search on 'Strawman Fallacy'. You are an expert at using it :rolleyes:

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buckster_uk said:
Didn't Cliff start out as an exclusive Snooker player? I think it maybe the other way round, and he later moved into 9-ball.

You are right, Buckster. Cliff like 90% of Canada's top nine ball players started out playing exclusivly snooker. Horsfall, Kennedy, Martel and a host of others all started on the 6x12.

Kent

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
TheOne has been arguing with Fred in a very mocking and condescending tone the whole time, and Fred finally cracked and made a remark. A couple of TheOne's groupies like vagabond and a few others insulted Fred:rolleyes:

Sir,
That is a serious accusation.It is not true . I was only pointing out how Fred was insulting others including me.One has to know the difference between PASSIONATE discussion from CONDSCENDING/CONTEMPTUOUS comments .
By the way TheOne is my buddy and met him before.
I will not respond/indulge in any more comments on this thread related to this issue
Vagabond :cool: