Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Tried both --- switched back to maple

Votes: 19 19.2%

• Total voters

jed1894

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting Xmas present....got to make a decision. Here's my thoughts :

Planning to use on a Schon butt. I like a firm hit, but not as firm as stock Schon tip.....been liking milk dud and Triangle. Based on experience (those who have made the switch to LD), which one you like best?

I also added 3rd option.....those who made the LD switch and then went back to the stock Schon shaft. Please post why you went back.

Thanks, jed

Last edited:

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
Tried the Predator and OBs. Here is my order from favorite to least favorite. I am considering both deflection properties and solid hit/feel in the evaluation. I think most people want the best of both characteristics.

1. OB Classic Pro
2. OB Classic
3. Varney LD Maple Shaft
4. Standard Maple Shafts (from many different makers)
5. 314-2
6. OB-2
7. 314
8. OB-1
9. Z Shaft

So I would rather play with a standard maple shaft over numbers 5-9. And prefer numbers 1-3 over the standard maple. Don't roast me for having an opinion please. This is just my experience over the years. To each his/her own.

Last edited:

jed1894

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried the Predator and OBs. Here is my order from favorite to least favorite. I am considering both deflection properties and solid hit/feel in the evaluation. I think most people want the best of both characteristics.

1. OB Classic Pro
2. OB Classic
3. Varney LD Maple Shaft
5. 314-2
6. OB-2
7. 314
8. OB-1
9. Z Shaft

So I would rather play with a standard maple shaft over numbers 5-9. And prefer numbers 1-3 over the standard maple. Don't roast me for having an opinion please. This is just my experience over the years. To each his/her own.

Thanks...no roast here....looking for experienced opinion like yours.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I am in the same boat, I am leaning towards the Predator 2.
I play with a pre cat now and I have gotten used to it.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Initially I switched to a Z2 shaft with my Schon and played that way for a year or two. Pretty good hit, I just got tired of the pencil feeling with the skinnier shaft.

Eventually I made the transition to the 314-2, I liked the more solid hit but definitely required work to recalibrate when using english, the deflection properties are not trivial between the two. If you go straight to the 314-2 (or OB) from the standard shaft you will of course have to recalibrate as well but only once which won't be as bad.

I've hit with an OB1 and OB2 with a Schon butt, both play nice as well. Have not used the OB Classic.

Currently using a Mezz WD700 on my Schon, pretty much the same deflection properties as the 314-2 but a stiffer hit and feels more solid.

Scott

THE FLASH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is from a guy who has used maple for 30+ years, tried a 314 and never really liked it, although I had some sucesses with it. Used maple the last 3 or so years and just bought an OB classic to fool around with. I can say I like the OB classic already better than the 314.

I've only had it 3 days so I'm still adjusting, but so far the transition seems to be less drastic than before. The OB seemsa bit more predictable than the predator. It will perform different for everyone according to stroke etc.....

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with an OB Classic Pro on a Schon butt and I love it. My first LD shaft and there's no way I could go back to a standard one now.

It's still a stiff hit, and although not as stiff as the stock Schon shaft you still have a lot of feel. The only thing you need to get used to is the thinner shaft, which took me all of one practice session, and the only thing I miss is not being able to use the deflection to almost spin around a ball when you can't quite see your intended contact point.

So yeah, I'd highly recommend the classic pro. It's really helped my game and I wish I'd bought one a lot sooner.

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made the switch to the 314-2 about six months ago, and as someone else said on a earlier post the transition was tough at first because I wanted to adjust for using english. After a few days I got use to the shaft and I can't see myself switching back to a standard shaft.

I also have the OB classic pro which in my opinion is not much different than the 314-2 other than the hit. They both pretty much play the same.

At the end it will depend on what you prefer as far as feel but you can't go wrong with either the 314-2 or the OB classic pro. Good Luck :grin-square:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. OB Classic Pro
2. OB Classic

3. Varney LD Maple Shaft
5. 314-2
6. OB-2
7. 314
8. OB-1
9. Z Shaft

What are the differences between the OB Classic and Classic Pro other than shaft diameter?

Eddie May

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
314-1 was the best hitting LD shafts made....

Isnt the OB classic line the ones with the wooden ferruls? Those are SUPER soft hitting, nothinge even close to a schone shaft....

I much prefer Pred shafts to OB shafts, but I went back to make after trying the OB (with wooden ferrul) z-2 314-1 and 314-2.

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
The Classic Pro has a conical taper.

The OB Classic shafts do NOT have the wood ferrule. It is white.

The original OB shafts with the wood ferrules play too soft for me.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
314-1 was the best hitting LD shafts made....

Isnt the OB classic line the ones with the wooden ferruls? Those are SUPER soft hitting, nothinge even close to a schone shaft....

I much prefer Pred shafts to OB shafts, but I went back to make after trying the OB (with wooden ferrul) z-2 314-1 and 314-2.

WHAT HE SAID...314-1 ALL THE WAY - they just hit SO SOLID compared to other LD's ...314-2 stinks...hollow, dead feel.

put a moori med tip on it...And feel the power!!!!!

I have an extra one with your 5/16x14 joint, blk collar...mint, setup this way with moori med...could be talked out of it, but don't really want to sell.

JLD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft Change

If you have always played with a standard shaft be prepared for a possible demise in your game when switching to a LD shaft. It may or may not be easy for you to adjust to the difference in squirt partly depending on how important the use of english is to your style of play. If you have the ability to adapt quicky you can minimize the pain and improve your level of play.

I switched to the Predator 314 shaft for my Schon when it first came out back in the 90's. I later had the shaft cut down to 12mm from the standard 12.75mm and played with that until the OB1 came out. Even though the OB1 was a low defelction shaft it was another ajdustment to make. In an attemt to shorten the learning curve I had the shaft cut down to match my 314 shaft at 12mm. There were still differences between the 2 shafts and I eventually went back to the 314 since it was so well ingrained into my muscle memory. When the 314-2 shaft came out I bought one and had it cut down to 12mm and I ended up liking it better than the original 314. After a couple years of use I started breaking with the cut down 314-2 and ended up cracking the ferrule. I then bought another 314-2 at 12.3mm and have been using it since.

After a lot of trial and error I have developed a system that works for 95%+ of the shots I take with my 314-2 LD shaft on my Schon that allows me to aim directly at the contact point on the object ball without adjusting for either english, squirt or swerve.

Bottom line is that if you change shafts(or tips) be prepared for an adjustment peroid that can possibly be very frustrating if you don't have the ability to adjust fast enough. If I had it to do all over again knowing what I do now most likely I would have stayed with my original maple shaft. Constant change requires constant adjustment which lengthens the time it takes to reach higher levels depending on how much time you put in on your game each day. If you change shafts and have problems adjusting I would be glad to explain the system I use via PM or explain the techniques I used to learn to adjust.

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ob classic is fine and solid with a great feel.
314-2 is a potting utensil and a necessity for me to play my best.

One-thing I've noticed with all the LD shafts I've tryed is, if I was looking for feel,I would of stayed with maple but I wanted less squirt from a shaft
with ultimate playability.

You'll hear many opinions on this but keep in mind what level of pool
do these people play?

Not that I play on an elite level or anything but for the amount I play
which is 1 time per week,I still have won some good events or placed
high in them and all but 1 tournament in the last 15 years I have ever won
not using a Predator shaft.

I feel with Predator that without playing for awhile I'll still play good,and
never really play horrible.

The ob classic is a real good shaft and the Company is run by a true
gentleman,I just prefer the Predator.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to add that the butt plays a big part to how a shaft feels,
especially with a LD shaft.Some butts do make a Predator shaft feel dead
as-well as other LD shafts.
I have a 314-2 shaft that didn't feel that good on one butt and recently
put it on a Gullassy butt and holy cow,the cue feels perfect and
the feedback is awesome.
Some may disagree but the butt plays a big roll.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Favorite shafts

1. OB Classic Pro
2. OB Classic
3. Varney LD Maple Shaft
5. 314-2
6. OB-2
7. 314
8. OB-1
9. Z Shaft

My list right now would be...

1. OB Classic Pro
2. Pre-lam, pre-314 Predator
3. Tiger X Pro
4. 314
5. Sold maple from other makers
6. OB Classic
7. Pred Z
8. Tiger X

....but this list changes from time to time!

hlymnstr14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted OB Classic but use the OB Classic Pro. I've had both Predators and both OB Classics. I like both the OB Classics over their Predator counterparts and like the OB Classic Pro the best. The Predators have that numb feeling when you hit a ball. The OB Classics let you feel the shot more and still give you the LD properties. I also think the OB Classics just look better with the darker shaft and the little white ferrule. The Predators are albino looking and the wood is very soft. Any little thing nicks the shaft.

I do agree though the one drawback of any LD Shaft vs a regular shaft is the lack of being able to play the swerve shot. The cue just gets out of the cueball's way and the cueball will not swerve out as you are accustomed to. It starts straight and then curves when you jack up and hit down on the ball. I know you can adjust but it's a BIG adjustment, moreso than just the typical adjustment you have going to an LD shaft. In other news, my kicking game got alot better.:rolleyes:

obclassicut

Percentages
Silver Member
only ld's Ive played with: ob1, ob classic, pred 314^2. Ob classic has best hit to me, pred feels cheap, ob1 feels soft. 12.75 diameter is good for me, but im 6'5 so smaller guys my want to go with classic pro

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Getting Xmas present....got to make a decision. Here's my thoughts :

Planning to use on a Schon butt. I like a firm hit, but not as firm as stock Schon tip.....been liking milk dud and Triangle. Based on experience (those who have made the switch to LD), which one you like best?

I also added 3rd option.....those who made the LD switch and then went back to the stock Schon shaft. Please post why you went back.

Thanks, jed

I have a 25-30 year old Schon with an OB1 and hits like a dream! I have tried the classic on friends sticks but didn't like the feel. I imagine it would feel better to me on my butt than theirs...if ya know what I mean! lol

All the predators I have hit I did not like but again never used one on my Schon.

More useless info... ;)

Ken