I was told it will go to the dump

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pics are from craigslist.

There is a 100+ yr old piano near my house. It looks like it's made of a burl wood.

Is this the kind of wood and is there enough of it to keep it from being thrown away? Cues, knife handles, gunstocks?

I am not a woodworker. It would be free, and I would snag it just to keep it from the dump. Then eventually look for someone who would use it.

Anyway thanks for your time.

John

Attachments

• 00707_cGh3dRAddAx_600x450.jpg
    00707_cGh3dRAddAx_600x450.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 593
  • piano.jpg
    piano.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 608
  • piano burl.jpg
    piano burl.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 601

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
That's pretty cool. I'd hate to see it go to the dump or be cut up. There has to be someone around there that could use it.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inspect closely a lot of older pianos were veneered.

If its actually solid then yes it can be salvaged for things like knives, gun stocks/grips and pens.

This kind of thing is what my pens and pipes business is built on. Great pieces that are beyond restoration but salvageable in some fashion.

If you decide to take it apart and break it down I'd be very interested in buying some of the salvage.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inspect closely a lot of older pianos were veneered.

If its actually solid then yes it can be salvaged for things like knives, gun stocks/grips and pens.

This kind of thing is what my pens and pipes business is built on. Great pieces that are beyond restoration but salvageable in some fashion.

If you decide to take it apart and break it down I'd be very interested in buying some of the salvage.

IMHO - the over/under on veneered is 90%, or more...

Dale

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first thought was the burl is veneer also. It would make nice jewelry boxes and anything that someone could use flat pieces for.

james chong

Banned
fantastic piece of furniture

your profile states "pacific northwest", how did a new york piano end up there?
(refurbish into a modern computer station)

Last edited:

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO - the over/under on veneered is 90%, or more...

Dale

My first thought was the burl is veneer also. It would make nice jewelry boxes and anything that someone could use flat pieces for.

I'm thinking the same. But a lot of times there is nice solid wood internally. A lot of these piano companies used mahogany, oak, ebony and maple.

Its certainly worth a closer look.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My initial thought was "Burl is considered too weak and too unstable to use in a cue forearm without infusing it with resin. How could a piano be made of solid burl?" So I assumed the burl was all veneer.
Am I off-base?
Gary

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My initial thought was "Burl is considered too weak and too unstable to use in a cue forearm without infusing it with resin. How could a piano be made of solid burl?" So I assumed the burl was all veneer.
Am I off-base?
Gary
There's no way its solid burl. Some of the trim framing or lattice work might be though. Then they'll match it up with some really nice veneers. But internally I'm guessing there's some nice stuff in there. Walnut is also another very common wood used in older pianos.

joe c

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
furniture

A lot of woodworkers make projects like bars from old pianos, that really are nice google it and see.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I don't think that the outer-skin of this piano is worth much in cue building.
I'm not even sure it's a burl.
The real treasure here is the frame. My guess would be some very sweet hard Maple.
Some special handle mtrl. there I'd wager.
Think of the resonance this wood has been exposed to for all these yrs.

KJ

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for all the thoughts, I didn't know if it was a legitimate question or not. My last woodshop class was in 1979!

This was more for my curiosity than anything else. Also it's free, maybe Bishop can get a couple of pieces of wood, and I will give the remains a proper funeral pyre instead of the dump!