Recipes for Crow....Anyone?

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
It's time for me to eat a little crow.

For years I have poo-poo'd laminated LD shafts over that of traditional maple shafts. I had tried them once or twice and was less than impressed. Almost all my cues have been custom-made for me, to my specs...and I felt that the makers know what they're trying to achieve with their various tapers.

So...recently, after being handed a bonus check after only 6 months on the new job, and getting a wee bit bored with my game, I got a wild hair up, and picked up a Predator SP8RW w/Z2 shaft. It was a rocky start at first, feeling very different to me. Within an hour or so, I began to get it dialed in...and while still a work in progress, I am having too much fun with this cue! I haven't played 9-Ball in probably 6 years or better, but had to play last night in league. Swept my opponent.

Now, I am still not ready to run out and start buying LD shafts for all my cues, but I am very happy with my current pick-up!!

Just felt like I should come clean and admit that there might be a little something to the LD shaft thing.

Carry on!

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did good Lisa , probably 30 % of the custom cues I build leave with 1 custom shaft and 1 laminated LD shaft . One amboyna I did last month went out wit 2 30" Z2 shafts .

Sometimes I shoot with one also . it's a Z2 mated up to a Fincher cue , builder in Auburn .

Take care . Jim

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait til you start getting addicted to inside spin! It is stupidly easy with LD tech. :)

G.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy one of the New OB plus shafts and you'll really be won over. I personally found the old ob shafts superior to the Z2, the new plus are better yet. That is however subjective and personal preference, the Z2 is a fine shaft.

It's time for me to eat a little crow.

For years I have poo-poo'd laminated LD shafts over that of traditional maple shafts. I had tried them once or twice and was less than impressed. Almost all my cues have been custom-made for me, to my specs...and I felt that the makers know what they're trying to achieve with their various tapers.

So...recently, after being handed a bonus check after only 6 months on the new job, and getting a wee bit bored with my game, I got a wild hair up, and picked up a Predator SP8RW w/Z2 shaft. It was a rocky start at first, feeling very different to me. Within an hour or so, I began to get it dialed in...and while still a work in progress, I am having too much fun with this cue! I haven't played 9-Ball in probably 6 years or better, but had to play last night in league. Swept my opponent.

Now, I am still not ready to run out and start buying LD shafts for all my cues, but I am very happy with my current pick-up!!

Just felt like I should come clean and admit that there might be a little something to the LD shaft thing.

Carry on!
Welcome to the dark side, let your anger fuel you. Been playing 314-2 's for years. Nothing plays as well for me and I have tried hundreds of cues.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you get a LD shaft from the custom cue makers, it's even better. You get a good hit feel and low deflection. Also the Players HXT shafts are better for feel than the Predators as well at almost 1/2 the price, but do deflect a bit more.

I've played with quite a few LD shafts, and my favorite is from Mike Webb. Same price as the Predator, solid construction (not laminated) and has a great feel to it.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MSRP Mistake......

Glad you like your Predator SP8RW!

What people don't know about this 8 point cue......
This cue was never priced right on the Predator website.

http://www.predatorcues.com/pool-cues/retired-cues/

Even today it is not right. The real MSRP price is $554 and
add around $20 for the Z shaft.

The price on the website is $449 which is the same price as a four point
cue with a stainless steel joint.

Anyway...just wanted you all to know this.

One more thing...if you ever have the tip replaced, make sure the
cue repairman knows how the shaft is made and has experience
with Predator shafts. Just a little too much pressure will put a
hairline crack in these shafts. No one will know it right away, but
six months down the road you will notice a crack and wonder how it
got there.

Okay----carry on now.:smile:

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I don't always play pool, but when I do
I prefer a maple shaft".

I'm glad you're liking your LD shaft though.

JC

Coos Cues
I have had several predator shafts and got rid of them all. The scraps of wood they are made out of are very soft and they always seemed to acquire dings of unknown origin from just normal use. My buddy has a pawn shop and got a tiger shaft in and I got if from him on a whim. It's like night and day. The Tiger appears to be made out of "hardwood" unlike the predators I had. Played with it for months now and it's still smooth as silk. And the hit is very similar.

My .02

JC

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
You did good Lisa , probably 30 % of the custom cues I build leave with 1 custom shaft and 1 laminated LD shaft . One amboyna I did last month went out wit 2 30" Z2 shafts .

Sometimes I shoot with one also . it's a Z2 mated up to a Fincher cue , builder in Auburn .

Take care . Jim

Thanks Jim...not bored now! LoL!

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Recipe for "Famous Kentucky Crow":

FAMOUS KENTUCKY CROW
1 lg. feathered crow
4 c. cow manure
1 pt. Old Crow Kentucky Bourbon

Mix one cup Old Crow Kentucky Bourbon with 4 cups cow manure until pastry. Pack the manure around the crow. Bake in preheated oven 2 hours at 375 degrees. Gently crack the manure crust and remove crow. Throw crow away. Serve manure with LARGE shot of Old Crow Kentucky Bourbon.

From this site:
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/898922w2/famous-kentucky-crow.html

Thank you! ;)

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Glad you like your Predator SP8RW!

What people don't know about this 8 point cue......
This cue was never priced right on the Predator website.

http://www.predatorcues.com/pool-cues/retired-cues/

Even today it is not right. The real MSRP price is $554 and
add around $20 for the Z shaft.

The price on the website is $449 which is the same price as a four point
cue with a stainless steel joint.

Anyway...just wanted you all to know this.

One more thing...if you ever have the tip replaced, make sure the
cue repairman knows how the shaft is made and has experience
with Predator shafts. Just a little too much pressure will put a
hairline crack in these shafts. No one will know it right away, but
six months down the road you will notice a crack and wonder how it
got there.

Okay----carry on now.:smile:

Thanks John. I got a good maker near me...pretty sure he has seen a few.

I am having some good fun with it...thanks so much again!!!

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I have had several predator shafts and got rid of them all. The scraps of wood they are made out of are very soft and they always seemed to acquire dings of unknown origin from just normal use. My buddy has a pawn shop and got a tiger shaft in and I got if from him on a whim. It's like night and day. The Tiger appears to be made out of "hardwood" unlike the predators I had. Played with it for months now and it's still smooth as silk. And the hit is very similar.

My .02

JC

I have noticed that with the dings. It'll do for now...but when the time comes, I may look at other manufacturers' shaft options. Not ready to give up traditional shafts yet...just kinda having some fun with this particular cue.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you .. lol I tried a predator a couple times and didn't like it. Then on a whim picked up a road line cheap from a friend and I never played with my lambros again. Not sure why it suddenly clicked with me but for now it's my cue of choice.