"Hit" of overlength (30") Predator shafts

nossi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear community,

I am thinking about buying an overlenght (30") Predator 314-3 shaft and I am a little bit worried it might have an even more "wobbily" hit than a standard length Predator shaft.

Does anybody of you guys have experience with an overlenght 314-3 shaft and maybe can tell me if they play (a lot) different than a standard length shaft?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

Best
Markus

Btw.: I also wrote Predator an email with the following (additional) question:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

I am thinking about buying a predator 314-3 shaft with over length (39“).

I would like to know whether one has to expect that it plays differently than a standard length predator 314-3 (29“) shaft with respect to the playing sensation, e.g. with respect to the so called „hit“ .

As for a substantiation of an answer to aforementioned question I would like to know how the extra inch of wood is distributed along the shaft (with respect to the taper) in comparison to the standard length shaft. For example, is the extra inch simply added to the standard length shaft at the end of the shaft that connects to the joint? In this case it would be an extra inch of wood following the taper of the cue at end of the joint and then, after that inch, the taper of the shaft would be (99%) the same as a standard length shaft. With this kind of distribution of the extra inch, I would not expect much of a different playing sensation. However, if that extra inch is evenly distributed among the shaft (e.g. taper), I would expect a different, most likely more „wobbely“ playing sensation.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Best regards from Germany
Markus"

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont personally feel that much of a difference with the same shaft in 29" and 30". I had Tiger ultra LD shafts in both lengths and they played exactly the same. 314'3 is a pretty rigid, stiff shaft anyway so you are safe even if it was a tiny bit more flexible. I'd say go for it, I have been drooling over one myself :smile:

By the way, where are you going to buy the shaft from as I saw you are from Germany? I have used DoubleDaveCues several times and have been happy with their customer service & products they sell.

Play well :smile:

- Kimmo

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played both 29" and 30" 314's and Z's for years. The longer shaft was exactly the same to me. I believe the extra inch comes at the joint end.

Get it, you won't notice any difference in hit.

nossi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for the input, I think I'll go get one!

@Kimmo H: I know the DoubleDave shop, seems to be first choice for many people here in Germany. However, with that shaft, they charge an extra 30 EUR for the overlength version, while shops in the US seem not to charge anything for that!

Cheers
Markus

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The US shops also charge about 30 to 40 USD extra for the 30" version. I've been buying them for over 10 years, and its always been that way for me.

nossi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True! According to my dealer in Germany, Predator themself only produces the overlength shafts with unilock and radial joint. Any other ones have to be customized out of a partial. For me, this has the advantage that they can leave the not so tiny logo! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app