Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page The Finishing Conundrum
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson
Dave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-27-2019, 08:22 PM

Solarez UV gloss with the vinyl ester sealer. The Purpleheart was the nicest curly I've seen.
Dave
Name:  reduced.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  182.8 KB

Name:  reduced 2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  reduced 3.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  63.1 KB

Finish
Old
  (#47)
QMAKER
LIVE FREE OR DIE
QMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeQMAKER has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Finish - 06-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Bob Flynn who I bought several cues from prior to getting interested in building them myself used a tung oil finish and it looks pretty good hot off the press but is softer and ages less well than some others. One cue I have played lightly with over the years and the finish is getting milky looking. Another one I have played with a lot and it's beat to hell with what I consider normal use.

Bob is in his 80s now and as far as I know cancer free so did he make the right choice? HIs cues play really well BTW, he's the one who ultimately inspired me to build full core cues. Every time I shot with the cues he made I thought yes, this is the hit I like. Thanks Bob if you read this.

JC
Thanks for the compliment JC--much appreciated. Yes, I am 81 now and,
as far as I know, pretty healthy and use the treadmill and walk my dog several times a day. I still make cues, about 12 per year, and still use the
GUNSTOCK OIL finish I first used on guitars and then read that Kersenbock also used it. Figured if it was good enough for him its good enough for me. I like it because it is safe and durable. Although I have refined my methods over the years by laying down a undercoat of about
10 layers of this CA, sanding between layers. Its not as hard as autoclear coat but I dont have to spray anything and I (as far as I know) do not have cancer or any respitory problems. Another advantage of it is that it can be easily repaired by light sanding and wipe on Birchwood-Casey gunstock oil (Wallmart).

************************************************** **********************************
"Do yourself a Favor and BUY a BREAK CUE from Bob Flynn
at DENALI" Samsarakid24

"Best breaker on the planet", Henchmen 3

" Denali made by Bob Flynn. The best $700 I ever spent on a cue", POCONO

Bob Flynn/Denali Pool Cues
[url]www.denalicues.com
denalicues@ca.rr.com
626-705-0340

Old
  (#48)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-29-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMAKER View Post
Thanks for the compliment JC--much appreciated. Yes, I am 81 now and,
as far as I know, pretty healthy and use the treadmill and walk my dog several times a day. I still make cues, about 12 per year, and still use the
GUNSTOCK OIL finish I first used on guitars and then read that Kersenbock also used it. Figured if it was good enough for him its good enough for me. I like it because it is safe and durable. Although I have refined my methods over the years by laying down a undercoat of about
10 layers of this CA, sanding between layers. Its not as hard as autoclear coat but I dont have to spray anything and I (as far as I know) do not have cancer or any respitory problems. Another advantage of it is that it can be easily repaired by light sanding and wipe on Birchwood-Casey gunstock oil (Wallmart).
Great to hear that you are doing well Bob. I still have the break and jump cue you made for me. You inspired me to make full length core cues. Thank you sir.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: