Broken shaft

joe c

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everybody, I just want an opinion of a shaft that broke. The customer said it broke when shooting because of grain run off, but looking close it broke against the grain and appears maybe hitting tip after missing caused this.What do you think? I will replace it but doesn't seem to be a failure due to material or workmanship. Also I made this shaft because he broke the original at the collar and pin area,said he tripped into it.The picture is blurry but you can see the crack in the collar.
Thanks Joe Callaluca

IMG_0127_zps03aa088e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0128_zps62261546.jpg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Conclusion: He's a hot head and a liar. Probably gambles too much and can't handle losing.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Wow! There is no way in hell that shaft broke when stroking
the cue ball. Your customer is full of crap. He missed a shot,
and then slammed the cue against the table. I know this; I
have done it before! Only difference is when I did it, I did
not have enough guts to try and screw the cuemaker out
of a free shaft. I paid for my mistake by purchasing a new
shaft and I never broke another. I would refuse if I were
you just to teach this guy a lesson.

Reminds me of a kid at a golf pro shop trying to get a
driver reshafted for free because the graphite shaft
snapped "when he was pulling it out of the bag". Yeah right.
The golf pro grinned and said "So you're temperamental
AND dishonest? Maybe this game isn't for you." That was
a funny moment for me because I have also broken a golf
club in a childish fit of rage.

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
Sounds like he got you once and he's gonna get you again if you let him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shaft is dead. So cut it off flush just below where the existing break is, put a wood chisel against the newly-squared-off end and tap the handle with a mallet - being sure to align the blade with the original "split". If a little angular wedge splits off then your customer may have a legitimate beef, and you may need to be more careful about grain run out. On the other hand, if it splits more or less straight down the centerline of the shaft then tell him he's gotta pay. Either way, this should settle the matter.

Document the entire test process with video or a series of still shots.

TW

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
It's doubtful that it broke while shooting...... but I made a shaft for a player that just dropped his stick and it broke just like that...........

Kim

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Shooting pool and breaking shaft like that:confused:???? Maybe should use some GORILLLA GULE and gule it back together and give it back to the shooter:grin-square::grin-square:.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's doubtful that it broke while shooting...... but I made a shaft for a player that just dropped his stick and it broke just like that...........

Kim

Shooting, not possible unless he was trying a masse. Breaking, I've seen it done before.

CroweCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i would say just like above. Hot head that gambles and does not like to lose. Took it out on the cue. I have put some of my old cues through a lot, and even broke a few doing the same thing in the pics. if i break a shaft, ferrule, etc. that is on me. I dont take it back to the guy that made it and lie about it.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I used to break shafts for a living..well it helped Jerry McWorter make a living. I'll tell you exactly how that broke, because one that I did looked JUST LIKE THAT! He tomahawked the connected cue...simple. I'd call the pool hall where he plays and ask if they knew anything about it. A player can't shatter a cue, FOR ANY REASON, without people noticing. It just doesn't happen....ever.

Think I've broken 8 or 9 shafts, so I'm an expert.

If you are going to replace a shaft that looks like that you better have another one ready for next time. Just decide if he is a good enough customer that you can deal with being lied to again, because he is lying.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't want to derail Joe's thread, but I did want to point out that stuff happens sometimes.
I've been promoting my Black Walnut shafts locally as good break shafts. Black Walnut is lighter, stronger (usually), and stiffer than Maple and I feel it transmits the force of the break to the cueball very well. In addition, with the relaxing of the BCA rule against phenolic tips, it can become a formidable weapon for those that prefer a lighter break cue when paired up with a single piece phenolic ferrule and tip combination.
So a local medium skill player asked me to put a one-piece phenolic ferrule/tip on an old McDermott shaft that he had to use as a break shaft. I measured the tip and it's at 13mm - not real fat, so I cautioned him that it might not hold up and I couldn't guarantee it, but he wants to try it out anyway. Last Friday I got to league early to practice, he was there and brought me the shaft that he wants tipped. Since I use 3/8-10 pins, I gave him my personal break shaft to try out on his butt. I had been breaking with that shaft for 3-4 months. He has a much harder break than mine, but I saw no problem with giving him a demo. He came back 20 minutes later with my shaft in 2 pieces. It broke the second time he hit with it! He felt REALLY bad and wanted to pay for it, but I assured him I would simply make another as I gave him that shaft to demo - I also asked that he keep it quiet that he broke it or I'll never sell another!!! LOL
Another player was watching and assured me he didn't do anything but break with it - not even that hard. Oh yeah, 3 balls went down on that break!!! :grin: So this is not a completely apples to apples comparison with Joe's experience, but in this case, I know there was no malice or anger involved.
Looking at the break, there really isn't any grain in that part of the shaft, so it probably should never have been selected for shaft wood - live and learn.
Gary

Attachments

• 20140109_185758[1].jpg
    20140109_185758[1].jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 20140109_185830[1].jpg
    20140109_185830[1].jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 340

joe c

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft

Thank you for all the feedback. I am going to replace the shaft and tell him that there is no more replacements as far as broken shafts go.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Thank you for all the feedback. I am going to replace the shaft and tell him that there is no more replacements as far as broken shafts go.

Probably the best route to go........... it's a win win.......... but the buck stops here....

that way he can never bad talk you because you took care of him.........and stood behind your work

Kim

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he hit the shaft against the table or something, should there not be a dent where contact was made??

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Not exactly a 'win-win'. Joe is out the time and expense of a new shaft.
That might well be the profit margin on the orig. price of the cue.
About the only upside for Joe is that he has clearer understanding of who he's dealing with.
The higher ground always has a better view.

KJ

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
If he hit the shaft against the table or something, should there not be a dent where contact was made??

Possibly but not always. I've seen to where people miss a shot then tap their tip on the table a little too hard and snap the shaft just like this one. As you can see in the pics, the break started at the point where the ferrule meets the shaft. The change in diameter creates a weak point where side pressure can use the ferrule like a crowbar to peel the shaft in a nice clean break. It is very similar to breaks I see at the joint of cues.

I actuality, it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot of side pressure to do it. Either way, it is still a form of "abuse." I think the the OP is doing the right thing by replacing the shaft but making it known, under no uncertain terms, that this will be the last one. It sucks but it is the right course of action.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I think the the OP is doing the right thing by replacing the shaft but making it known, under no uncertain terms, that this will be the last one. It sucks but it is the right course of action.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I have had abusive players put a dent in the butt from banging it on the table and expect me to fix it for free, not happening. The shaft, ok, we can all pretty much conclude that it was not a faulty shaft but operator error. I would fix it but like Ryan stated, I would make it abundantly clear the next time is full price for a replacement. You take the high road.