Scotch Doubles Question

Racky BallBoa

Registered
Recently our friendly, sociable, group of 8-Ball players have been playing the game in a Scotch Doubles format, that is, alternating shots with your partner. This format typically allows more turns at the table by all members of both teams, as oppose to having 3 players watching the stronger, dominant player run the table over and over again. My question is, why do they call it "Scotch" Doubles? I tried googling a bit to try find some history but found little to nothing. Both humorous or serious responses are welcomed.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Recently our friendly, sociable, group of 8-Ball players have been playing the game in a Scotch Doubles format, that is, alternating shots with your partner. This format typically allows more turns at the table by all members of both teams, as oppose to having 3 players watching the stronger, dominant player run the table over and over again. My question is, why do they call it "Scotch" Doubles? I tried googling a bit to try find some history but found little to nothing. Both humorous or serious responses are welcomed.

There are two reasons that have been bandied about on the Internet. There is a doubles type of format involve that is sometimes called Scotch golf. Some people call it alternating shots. Some people call it Foursome or Scotch Foursome. That type of format is shown in a rules book from a centruy ago or more. There are also other sports like bowling that have a scotch doubles, but it’s unclear whether or not it predates pool’s Scotch Doubles.

The first time I ever played alternating shots in pool, my friends (who were avid golfers) called it Scotch. Neither would have had a clue about Scotch Doubles in pool as a format, unless they happened to have caught the live professional Scotch Doubles tournament (won by Sigel and Ewa). I doubt they ever heard of it.

Randy G. has said that he and a few other people invented scotch doubles (early 70’s?) for pool, and that they were drinking scotch. I don’t doubt Randy’s story, and maybe they invented alternating shots partners and coincidentally called it “Scotch” when Scotch was already a term being used in another alternating player partners format for another sport.

Freddie <~~~ can’t speak Scotch

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current format of Scotch Doubles was created and named by Mrs Karen Goettlicher. She was also the TD for the rollout at the BCA Nationals.
I think jimmyco is right on with his answer. It's a very thrify way of having fun. Scotch Doubles, each partner has to be very careful.

randyg

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tequila doubles

I'm gesan it is so named because when he is the other guys partner he plays like a champion. When he becomes my partner, he can't make a ball. Hence the need for scotch. I prefer shooters, in fact sometimes I prefer shooting!

It's not just "him", it's all 3 of them.

It couldn't be me? - that could be the reason for scotch too!

Either case it should be tequila

If it's the thrifty explanation, they must not be betting!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Outside of the name origin, this is really the only way a doubles match should be played, alternate shots. Otherwise you are just playing singles matches on the same table. You are not trying to see which single player can run out better, you are playing to see which two players together can out-play the other pair. So having a strong player and a weak player actually means something since one would be leaving the other harder shots or missing. If you just play doubles but shoot till you miss, soon as the stronger player comes, up, that is all you have, the good player shooting. Not very "doubles" like, and defeats the whole point of having something like a handicap limit on teams. A 7 and a 3 on the same team should not be "the 7 shoots and runs out to win", it should be "the 7 needs to leave easy shots and position for the 3 to play next".

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, I was working for a neighbor farmer who made a comment regarding running the cows on every bit of grass on the farmyard.

Don't remember the exact quote, but the meaning of Scotch was that you take what you get.

Loose definition. A quick search leads to Scotch also meaning Frugal or Thrifty. This is probably the meaning that my Neighbor was using.

I thought then that it could also apply to Scotch Doubles as in you take what you have been given in regards to a shot.

Last edited:

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member

In our after league shenanigans it comes from me drinking scotch during league then trying to play doubles for dollars and getting my ass kicked!