"Diamond Dave" Thayer

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of you know any thing about a player that went by "Diamond Dave" Thayer?

He had a book out called the "Hot Shots Series". I believed he passed on to his reward last winter.

Would especially like to hear how good his game was and if any of you played him and what tournaments he won.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

He had a book out called the "Hot Shots Series". I believed he passed on to his reward last winter.

Would especially like to hear how good his game was and if any of you played him and what tournaments he won.
I've never heard of him as a player. Evidently he gave up playing after high school. Here is the bio on his website:

http://hotshotsplus.com/about-diamond-dave.html

It is remarkable that he knew more than Mosconi.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was a phony! His pamphlets were pretty much common knowledge, with nothing new added. He lived very near me in FL, and as Bob mentioned was never an "instructor", "master player" or any of the other things he claimed. Something akin to Bruce Christopher, but a little less brash! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
What do you mean a phony.

With testimonials like this how can he be anything but that!

"If anyone ever wants a reference please tell them to contact me. Once again I just wanted to say THANKS!!!!!!!!"

"Thank you so much for making this available. I play in the APA pool league as a 5. I am now playing and beating the 7's constantly."

"Excellent transaction! AND most interesting material. Great info!"
Joe T. Spokane, WA

Who in their right mind would speak out against Joe T. from Spokane.
Sorry the other two testimonials have no way to contact the poster.

He was a phony! His pamphlets were pretty much common knowledge, with nothing new added. He lived very near me in FL, and as Bob mentioned was never an "instructor", "master player" or any of the other things he claimed. Something akin to Bruce Christopher, but a little less brash! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were a lot of guys like this trying to cash in after Color of Money and pre-internet (as it is today.) Just look at it like...a miracle weight loss cure they don't want you to know about :grin-square:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best part of his bio is where he was at a tournament talking to Willie Mosconi about Willie's run of 526 balls and Willie showed him the position where he missed and Diamond Dave immediately saw the correct bank/kick shot that Dave made all the time that Willie overlooked and except for Willie not knowing about rails and such like Dave does he could have continued his run.

Really. Check the bio.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since I collect books, I tried buy one of his six books on how to play through his website. At the price charged, I expect ten pages of black-and-white copies from the local Office Depot. Paypal tells me that the payment has not been accepted yet. Perhaps no one took over his email accounts and website when he passed.

Edit: no response for a week so I cancelled the PayPal payment.

Last edited: