help me to understand

havoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm on a quest,as most of us are,to greatly improve my game.

the one thing i feel i have to work on is my ball pocketing consistency.
so of course i try different aiming systems.the one i rely on the most is the fractional ball method.it works but i sometimes have a hard time deciding where to hit the ball.

so i started thinking about mistakes ppl usually make when they are first starting out like lining up a shot by aiming center to center.now i know this won't work because the aim line and the contact point are different.but it got me thinking,why not just aim center to center and adjust.

i've tried it by aiming center to center and then pivioting oh so slightly to the contact point and it worked,especially on long cut shots.

what puzzles me is that it doesn't work on all shots.so my question is 2 parts.
1. when it works is it working because when i pivot am i imparting sidespin on the cue ball thus throwing the o b in?

2.why doesn't it work on all shots?

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
My personal opinion is that you would be better off staying away from any system that calls for a "pivot" once you are down on a shot.

Roger

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
i'm on a quest,as most of us are,to greatly improve my game.

the one thing i feel i have to work on is my ball pocketing consistency.
so of course i try different aiming systems.the one i rely on the most is the fractional ball method.it works but i sometimes have a hard time deciding where to hit the ball.

so i started thinking about mistakes ppl usually make when they are first starting out like lining up a shot by aiming center to center.now i know this won't work because the aim line and the contact point are different.but it got me thinking,why not just aim center to center and adjust.

i've tried it by aiming center to center and then pivioting oh so slightly to the contact point and it worked,especially on long cut shots.

what puzzles me is that it doesn't work on all shots.so my question is 2 parts.
1. when it works is it working because when i pivot am i imparting sidespin on the cue ball thus throwing the o b in?

2.why doesn't it work on all shots?

Sounds like your mechanics could use some work. It doesn't matter what method you use to aim, you will always be inconsistent unless you fundamentals are consistent.

Imagine shooting a bow and arrow, with a warped arrow.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
potting

all of ur sighting is done from back behind the table,
90% of it the last 10% while ur down on the shot its the biggest mistake all players do i'd say about 95% of everyone in the world does the fundamental error and its costing them, u need to see the shot like an eagle stalking its prey then come in on the shot on the right line

Sandmann187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you just fixed the mistake I have been working on for the past few months. It makes so much sense! Thank you!

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
all of ur sighting is done from back behind the table,
90% of it the last 10% while ur down on the shot its the biggest mistake all players do i'd say about 95% of everyone in the world does the fundamental error and its costing them, u need to see the shot like an eagle stalking its prey then come in on the shot on the right line

I love this thought, when I'm stroking well I feel like I can't miss.:)

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
thanks apocolypse, hope it helps ur game and ur's to havoc its very simple game made difficult

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Common Faults

In my experience, the problem isn't usually with the aiming system, but with a basic fundamental flaw that throws off your aim.

Here are some things to work on or think about in your stroke:

Are you stroking the cue ball in a straight line where you think you are?
Are you punching the cue ball instead of smoothly stroking it?
Is your stick as close to level as possible?
Is your alignment to the shot accurate?
Are you staying down?
Are your eyes on the object ball when you pull the trigger?

I'd recommend you have someone watch you or video yourself to see what fundamental errors you are making.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Just my opinion. . .and I have similar issues. . .

See the correct fractional angle while you are still standing up about 2 steps from where you will stand for the shot. i.e. aim standing up. Approach the shot in 2 - 3 foot steps. Drop down to the table for the shot. When you pause the cue tip at the cue ball, recheck where you are hitting the cue ball and what fraction you are set up on with the OB. If the fraction is wrong, get up and reapproach.