Plain Jane Sneaky Pete vs Expensive Inlaid Fancy Cue

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all remember the scene from "The Color of Money" where fast eddie tells vincent to leave the Balabushka in the car, that if he went in the poolroom with it that no one would come near him with a nickel.

I have several cues, some are plain jane sneaky petes and some are expensive intricately inlaid & detailed cues. My experience is just the opposite of the line from the movie. Whenever I take one of my fancy cues to the room it seems that every Hustler, Gambler, & Player in the room wants to try me. Whereas, if I take one of the Plain Jane cues, I won't be bothered by the Hustlers and can be more selective about whom I want to play.

My thoughts on this reaction is that, if you take an expensive fancy cue to play with then the Hustlers, Gamblers, etc... want to find out if you have the game to back up having a cue like that! Plus, they know you have Money! Apologies to the Hustlers for giving away one of your tricks for finding a Sucker!

With a Basic Plain Jane Cue or a Sneaky Pete you can remain in relative obscurity until you are ready to reveal just how much game you really do have. So it's a lot less pressure.

There's also no harm in having an Expensive Intricately Detailed Cue if you can afford one. There's a pride of ownership factor involved and that could make a difference. Just keep it in the closet as an investment!

Anyone else notice this pattern or have similar situations happen to them?

Last edited: