hook at the end of the stroke

plainbutt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After shooting several draw shots using very low to where the cue marks the cloth, my stroke starts off straight for 2-4 inches then, veers off to the left finishing with a hook at the end like a J. Right hand shooter using closed bridge. With an open bridge the stroke was mostly straight.

I even see it when I watch the tip. The shaft seems to bounce and flex in that direction at impact. When using an open bridge the shaft doesn't bounce in the same way. I do not see the same reaction when shooting hard follow. Why is this happening when using a closed bridge? Will the hook at the end of the stroke affect the CB?

Standard maple pro taper shaft 13mm.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
plainbutt...The hook is likely occuring because you're gripping the cue too tightly, or involving the shoulder (elbow drop). That said, contact between tip and CB lasts 1/1000th of a second, so NO the 'hook effect' has no affect on the outcome of the shot. The problems causing it can make you miss where you are aiming on the CB slightly though.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hook

plainbutt, have a friend or someone watch your arm. The J to the left is most likely caused by 3/4ths the way through your stroke your body movement (elbow or such) is bringing your hand away from your body (right) and the bridge is the pivot point bringing the tip to the left.

Is your stance, alignment and follow-through the same on regular shots as opposed to draw shots? Typically players try to muscle up, tense up, and force draw. This is the opposite of what you should do. Try relaxing, forget about the draw, do a good medium stroke through the ball with a gradual acceleration in speed. You will find the more effortless your stroke feels the better results (more draw).