English on certain shots

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious what advantage or purpose there to use side English on shots where the CB doesn't touch a cushion. I understand that top and bottom English take effect on object ball contact and side English takes effect on cushion contact so what is the point in using side when the CB doesn't go anywhere near a rail.
Would is perhaps be to throw the OB or CB? How would it affect a draw or stun shot?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
throw

I'm curious what advantage or purpose there to use side English on shots where the CB doesn't touch a cushion. I understand that top and bottom English take effect on object ball contact and side English takes effect on cushion contact so what is the point in using side when the CB doesn't go anywhere near a rail.
Would is perhaps be to throw the OB or CB? How would it affect a draw or stun shot?

Inside English increases throw on the object ball while outside compensates for natural collision-induced throw. Some of the spin put on the cue ball adds a bit of opposite spin to the object ball. The effect depends on force of the shot...keeping in mind that we're not just talking about spin applied to the CB, but how much of that spin is still working when the CB strikes the OB.

An instructor can explain and demonstrate this for you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To throw or spin the OB. Throw it when the cut isn't quite possible, or when you want to minimize CB movement after contact. Spin it when you want to change a bank angle. Both effects are small, but sometimes worth the effort and loss of accuracy.

Dr. Dave has lots of technical info about it: http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html

pj
chgo

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two main uses I have for it.
1. Banking a ball can be influenced significantly with English without the cue ball hitting a rail.
2. I like to use a TOI for shots along a rail where I have a very small cut and don't want to over cut it or to be able to hit the ball straight ahead (missing the pocket slightly) to get a full stop and let the spin throw the object ball a slight amount into the pocket.

The throw affect on the object ball is not normally a big deal but it is significant on a banked ball and can be useful for small changes. At least that is my experience. I am sure others use a lot more side spin and find more uses. I don't like to complicate pocketing the ball with maximum spin so for me it is the more subtle uses that I prefer.

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inside english only increases throw depending on the cut angle. yes? It could decrease it and outside...nevermind. check out mr. Dr. Dave stuff.