What tip and ferrules should i get?

bobobo

How to choose a tip and ferrule?

Ive read that the tip is the most important followed by the ferrule. Is that true? How does the size and material of the tip effect the way it plays? How does the material and length of the ferrule effect how it plays? What makes a cue low deflection?

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I'm not sure what type of ferrule BD Cues uses on his SS360/2 but that coupled with a sniper tip is an awesome combo

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low deflection shafts involve constructed assembly as I understand these designs whereas
original cue-maker shafts are customarily tapered wood involving a solid, single piece of wood.

Ferrules differ by material and I favor ivory for performance, feel and acoustical sound.

Tips.....so many to choose from......decide upon hardness first and foremost....brand is a crap shoot.
I favor Kamui Clear Black in a soft hardness which is like a medium in some other brand tips.

Matt B.

MalibuMike

Banned
Like Tiger's Tip's Oynex and the New Sniper with Red Backing (Just Out)

I like Tiger's Pro-X shaft and ferrule, have played with Ivory and noticed nothing. I like the G2 (Medium) it runs a little on the hard side much like Kamuai, but much better then. I have just had Tiger put a new Sniper on one of my shafts and it hits great, the bottom is red now and is serialized to stop all the counterfeits going around. I have found counterfeit Morri's & Talismans'

MalibuMike

Banned
Agreed! Thats the only shaft I ever had with an Ivory Ferrule

I'm not sure what type of ferrule BD Cues uses on his SS360/2 but that coupled with a sniper tip is an awesome combo

Bob mad it for me special, it had a sniper on it as well. Awesome combo!
Onyx is a great tip as well!!!

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy, please use the search and do LD "research" for yourself. Dr Dave Billiards is also a great place to start.

In the end it's mass and flexibility. Take a medium tip. Have fun playing.

If you are serious - take a 9mm Snooker shaft.

Cheers,
M

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Tiger's Pro-X shaft and ferrule, have played with Ivory and noticed nothing. I like the G2 (Medium) it runs a little on the hard side much like Kamuai, but much better then. I have just had Tiger put a new Sniper on one of my shafts and it hits great, the bottom is red now and is serialized to stop all the counterfeits going around. I have found counterfeit Morri's & Talismans'

GREAT PLAYING CUES! I USE G2 SOFT NO BACKING.:thumbup:

Nineballchamp

Certified Cue Addict
Silver Member
What makes a shaft low deflection is by making the end mass as light as possible. For example, Predator shafts are hollow for approximately 5 inches before the ferrel. Mezz accomplishes this same thing by injecting foam into theirs.
2beec6852fac6830b75eebb7396633c7.jpg
760cd33521a6a30da70bb3d24f68d513.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ive read that the tip is the most important followed by the ferrule. Is that true? How does the size and material of the tip effect the way it plays? How does the material and length of the ferrule effect how it plays? What makes a cue low deflection?

I would recommend my Tomahawk ferrule material, and either a G2 soft, one of Tom's UltraSkins, or a Sniper. My ferrule is lighter than Mason Micarta, a pleasing color, strong as the dickens, and impervious to chalk. Everyone who has used it to my knowledge, has been very pleased.
All the best.
Joe P.