Draw Analysis, Billiard University Exam I Draw

ryanshea

Dreamer of dreams
Cross-table draw shots come up fairly rarely in typical league play, so in doing the draw drill on Billiard University Exam 1 I found that I had pretty horrible scores. I used this as an opportunity to play with the slow-motion 240fps capabilities of my phone to take a few angles of shots from position 5. I would say I can only draw to the target area 1/4 times from this position, 1/8 for position 6, and for position 7, I've done this maybe twice ever. The elbow shot is probably the most interesting to me, because the harder I hit the ball the more my hit location rises from my practice strokes. I felt like I was being careful to loosen my grip, but that doesn't appear to be the case here - gorilla grip. I thought I'd throw these out there for some pointers. I am shooting with a training cue ball, so I can see where I hit. I am not perfectly centered on these hard shots - I have a slight tendency to hit left of center. Here are things I've discovered for myself over time.
  • I stroke straighter if I align my right foot with the shooting line rather than ducky out
  • I always hit higher than I think
  • as I get down on the shot my back hand is slightly too far forward and I have to pay attention and make an adjustment

I appreciate any feedback:
https://youtu.be/PlE2_yeMGNQ
https://youtu.be/RRxPuLpJDcw
https://youtu.be/z3Dw_cze3OI

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open your back fingers on backstroke and close only when stroke finishes. Otherwise didn't look bad

ryanshea

Dreamer of dreams
I agree. Actually, a couple things here. It is not only my grip that is tightening up, but also my wrist. When I hit with a medium stroke I can strike the ball where I want, but on these firm strokes there is more movement and I tighten up.

ryanshea

Dreamer of dreams
Got a zero on the draw drill today. Truly frustrating. I'll need more videos to figure out what I'm doing

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your cue stick angle of attack changes as it moves forward. Set the angle and then keep the same angle all the way through. DO NOT CHANGE IT IN MID STROKE

Next, in the first video it seems that you may be decelerating slightly just before impact. Try to keep the speed up all the way to impact. Don't anticipate the hit. If you do that it could cause you to slow down. (I know the video is slow motion --- that's not what I'm referring to.)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggested allowing fingers to open so back of stick doesn't see-saw at all

I saw the video and I understand where he's coming from and I agree that you can generate more power that way but I'm not sure that it will stop the see-saw motion. I think it could make it worse in many instances.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It looks like you are tightening up your grip midstroke (which also causes your cuetip to rise) Keep your backhand loose through contact. You also have to hit lower on the cueball. You address it fine and low enough but on your last stroke you let the tip comes up (cause of your tight grip mid stroke) and it looks like you are hitting just below center.

Practice some draw shots a diamond apart staying loose and hitting as low (and slow) as possible. If you hit them low enough and still get good draw at a slow speed, you are hitting the right spot. Then move to two diamond ect. (look up progressive drills here).

Put away the long draw shots until you have this technique mastered.

Cross-table draw shots come up fairly rarely in typical league play, so in doing the draw drill on Billiard University Exam 1 I found that I had pretty horrible scores. I used this as an opportunity to play with the slow-motion 240fps capabilities of my phone to take a few angles of shots from position 5. I would say I can only draw to the target area 1/4 times from this position, 1/8 for position 6, and for position 7, I've done this maybe twice ever. The elbow shot is probably the most interesting to me, because the harder I hit the ball the more my hit location rises from my practice strokes. I felt like I was being careful to loosen my grip, but that doesn't appear to be the case here - gorilla grip. I thought I'd throw these out there for some pointers. I am shooting with a training cue ball, so I can see where I hit. I am not perfectly centered on these hard shots - I have a slight tendency to hit left of center. Here are things I've discovered for myself over time.
  • I stroke straighter if I align my right foot with the shooting line rather than ducky out
  • I always hit higher than I think
  • as I get down on the shot my back hand is slightly too far forward and I have to pay attention and make an adjustment

I appreciate any feedback:
https://youtu.be/PlE2_yeMGNQ
https://youtu.be/RRxPuLpJDcw
https://youtu.be/z3Dw_cze3OI

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony's advice about slow is good. For example I was working on a draw shot where it was ob was nearly full table length away and my goal was to draw a full table back and I couldn't do it. Failed over and over until I pretended I only wanted to draw a foot or 2 back. That made me stoke much smoother and lo and behold I accomplished what I wanted. One of the best things I heard was to imagine your cue is an airplane going down runway and taking off. Your stroke builds up speed. Doesn't immediately start fast. Try the draw with an open bridge once. See if that helps. Stick may need to be more parallel . If still having issues feel free to message me on here and I can maybe help through FaceTime or something similar if you want

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more tip to eliminate possible issues. Try holding stick with just tips of fingers and drawing the ball. If you can do that I feel the issue is with your grip

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more tip to eliminate possible issues. Try holding stick with just tips of fingers and drawing the ball. If you can do that I feel the issue is with your grip

This is the kind of stuff that makes me cringe. First of all, it's incomplete. What type of draw shot would you like the op to try with the cue in the tips of his fingers? Table length draw? Short length draw? Next, there are much better ways of determining if the issue is in his grip ---- and btw, encouraging the player to grab and release as you did earlier --- will certainly make the issue his grip.

Grabbing and releasing should be left to the experts and maybe done only on shots where the player really needs extreme power, as with hard break shots. Many pros execute long draw shots without grabbing and releasing their hands.

This type of "try this and try that" advice can be harmful and create bad habits. The OP should be careful of what advice he heeds. And just because something is in video doesn't mean it's right for you.

Just make sure your cue stick moves in and out on the SAME ANGLE OF ATTACK .. No dipping, and whatever angle you choose, keep it throughout the stroke, and move your arm fast enough and hit your mark on the cue ball. That's it. Seriously. Once you start playing around with hand grabs, you risk twisting the cue in a big way, especially if you're not an expert.

Last edited:

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, you have all my respect but I'm confused. Opening your back fingers or at least not letting them interfere with motion of cue is basic advice touted by many respected instructors in pool and snooker. Maybe I'm phrasing it wrong?!? And the finger tip test shows that letting the cues weight do the work is a practical thing. He may be trying to force it. Your advice about keeping same angle is practical as well. I'm suggesting a myriad of ways to identify the issue only with the sincere hope of helping

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To OP. Are you having problems with drawing itself or landing in certain target zone? If zone are you over hitting or coming up short or not drawing back in straight line?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
This is the kind of stuff that makes me cringe. First of all, it's incomplete. What type of draw shot would you like the op to try with the cue in the tips of his fingers? Table length draw? Short length draw? Next, there are much better ways of determining if the issue is in his grip ---- and btw, encouraging the player to grab and release as you did earlier --- will certainly make the issue his grip.

Grabbing and releasing should be left to the experts and maybe done only on shots where the player really needs extreme power, as with hard break shots. Many pros execute long draw shots without grabbing and releasing their hands.

This type of "try this and try that" advice can be harmful and create bad habits. The OP should be careful of what advice he heeds. And just because something is in video doesn't mean it's right for you.

Just make sure your cue stick moves in and out on the SAME ANGLE OF ATTACK .. No dipping, and whatever angle you choose, keep it throughout the stroke, and move your arm fast enough and hit your mark on the cue ball. That's it. Seriously. Once you start playing around with hand grabs, you risk twisting the cue in a big way, especially if you're not an expert.

Tap Tap Tap MyLady :)

Not that you would Need my *Amen*- just like what I read there :)

Hope you re doin great Fran.

A smooth stroke to everyone.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap Tap Tap MyLady :)

Not that you would Need my *Amen*- just like what I read there :)

Hope you re doin great Fran.

A smooth stroke to everyone.

Hey! Always great to see you posting! Thanks, all is well, and I hope all is well with you too!