Basic questions from tall player 6'7"

RedElvis

Hey guys. My name is Maxim and i'm a new guy here. I started play pool recently and have some questions about the game.
I saw Ralf Ecker's pool tutorial and make some drills from his videos. I recorded a video (6 mins) with my game and here's some questions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pcpnsq55dol2hw/video 09.02.16, 15 43 28.mov?dl=0

1) How to make my game more consistent? I can shoot nice, but at some moment i'm losing concentration and start to miss a lot (yesterday i wasn't able to shoot an easy ball for ten minutes)
2) How should i stay as a tall player?
3) Is that okay how i shoot the ball (5:40 at the video)? My hands are pretty long and looks like i make a cue movement with my wrist.
3) Any general tips about my game since you saw it?

Many thanks,
M

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Since no one answered I will take a shot.

I would be more concerned with my stance and alignment and let the stroke technique follow.

You are what I refer to as playing in the fetus position, your body is wrinkled, jammed, cramped.

To reach the end you must find the beginning, don’t run before you walk, start with a crawl.

You have to get your feet under you and your core out in front. You can find 1000 pages on a basic stance, pool or snooker, it doesn’t matter, learn it. Study it and mess around with your feet, foot direction, arms, elbows, head, back, neck, shoulders, hips, EYES etc until you are feeling comfortable.
Cue placement will follow the lead when the lead is where it belongs and consistent.

Research Ape Index and Body Gait and work it into your stance. Apply it the best you can without having an instructor standing over you. Eventually you will feel when its right and you are off to the races.

If I had you in front of me I could probably have you comfortable in 20 minutes or so, but I don't. You have to rely on your natural feel to get yourself there.

There are many things that could be said. You are very tall, you may need a longer cue to compliment your ape index and gait, it could go on and on.
To me your are forcing the issue.
I would focus on the above and move on from there.

Find your natural
Best of luck : SS

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are very compact, to a point where it hinders your cue flowing smoothly.

Work on being the correct distance from the cue ball with your feet,approx a cue length away. Then bend at the hips, not the waist. This will cause both legs to bend... Just let them do what they need to do in order to allow you to bend at the hips. You will have much more leg bend than the average player due to your height.

Another thing that jumps out is you have a no psr. This is crucial in becoming a consistent player. Work on one and stick with it. Repetition is your friend.

Your eye patterns were all over also. Some shots you would looks at the cue ball and object ball. Other shots would involve a glance at the pocket when down or where you want the cue ball to go. Slow your play down, focus on the cue balls destination whilst standing then as you go down and whilst down concentrate on the object ball and the point on the cue ball you want to hit... No pocket.... No wandering eyes. This again will create consistency and allow you to learn and take in information from missed shots and successfully shots.

These are some very basic steps, but I believe they can greatly increase your consistency and enjoyment for the game.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruslan Chinakhov is a tall player. Watch videos of him playing and his stance.

Here's a side photo of his stance.

https://m.facebook.com/chinakhov/ph..../1865850310307918/?type=3&source=54&refid=17

This stance and position is ideal for a taller player. Arms not cramped up but stretched out (you need a balance rite or extension insert for a longer cue to obtain this feel).

Just set balls up one at a time (no cue ball), and walk into your shot, drop into this stance and stroke through sending ball into pocket. Calm your back hand down (no more fingers twitching on your warm up strokes). Do this 1,000 times or more until it's muscle memory, then introduce cue ball, and do this another 1,000 times.

Then take another video. You will notice improvement.

Like a SmoothStroke said before, you have to crawl before you can run. Building yourself a consistent pre shot routine and stroke is the crawl needed to start.

Oh and listen to Pidge, the poster above this one-his advice and input is priceless as are the other instructors who regularly post on here. Best of luck!

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Maxim.

You are a beginner and you have a lot of work to do, as all beginners do. You will miss shots because of a lot of reasons. Sometimes the reason will be your alignment and sometimes it will be your stroke and sometimes you will just guess wrong where to hit the ball.

Troubleshooting your game at this point is very difficult because of all the areas that are yet to be developed in your game.

My recommendation to you is to start with your feet placement. As another poster here suggested --- read and study about stance. Standing correctly is key to becoming a good player, otherwise you will be fighting your body every time you shoot.

Pidge mentioned something to you: He wrote 'psr.' He didn't explain what that means. That means --- pre shot routine. Eventually, you will want to set up a routine for aiming and how you place your body at the table and how you place your cue tip at the cue ball.

So, as you can see, there is a lot to learn. If you know of any good instructors in your area, get some help while you are studying various things online. It's always good to be able to talk directly to someone and ask them questions at the table.

Good luck and enjoy your journey!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Fran,

What do you think about the series on You Tube By Dr. Cue?

Would you recommend it for beginners or is their something else online that you would recommend for beginners.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Fran,

What do you think about the series on You Tube By Dr. Cue?

Would you recommend it for beginners or is their something else online that you would recommend for beginners.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

I haven't seen it, Rick.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Red,

You have gotten some excellent advise here. The only thing I would add is to spend time viewing videos of better players in matches. Watch their mannerisms, look for their PSR, notice their feet placement, how they address a shot and how steady they are when down on a ball.

You can learn a lot by observing.

Good luck in your journey.

AJM

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Thanks. I may take a look when I have some time, but I won't give a public review on it.

Hi Fran,

A review of IT is not really for what I was asking.

I guess I should have been more generic & specific with my question.

I was just wondering if YOU had any easily accessible material for beginners to get started that YOU would recommend.

What I sort of like about the Dr. Cue series is that they are rather short & individually specific 'lessons' & in a Table of Contents manner so a beginning individual can rather easily look at one on a particular topic at any time that they have a few spare minutes.

An individual could watch 'a lesson' or two on their phone while waiting for lunch at a restaurant or in a doctor or dentist office or on the subway or bus or where ever.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you had something in mind that you would recommend to beginners.

Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Fran,

A review of IT is not really for what I was asking.

I guess I should have been more generic & specific with my question.

I was just wondering if YOU had any easily accessible material for beginners to get started that YOU would recommend.

What I sort of like about the Dr. Cue series is that they are rather short & individually specific 'lessons' & in a Table of Contents manner so a beginning individual can rather easily look at one on a particular topic at any time that they have a few spare minutes.

An individual could watch 'a lesson' or two on their phone while waiting for lunch at a restaurant or in a doctor or dentist office or on the subway or bus or where ever.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you had something in mind that you would recommend to beginners.

Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

No, sorry, I don't.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too Tall

Forget the perfect stance and spread your legs to allow you to get down behind the cue ball. I’m 6’3”” and had to teach myself to get comfortable and DOWN to allow me to sight my cue stick and the cue ball toward my target with my weight evenly distributed.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget the perfect stance and spread your legs to allow you to get down behind the cue ball. I’m 6’3”” and had to teach myself to get comfortable and DOWN to allow me to sight my cue stick and the cue ball toward my target with my weight evenly distributed.

Telling a Beginner to not listen to advise from professional instructors is bad advise.

To the OP, Listen to Fran, Pinge and others with signatures indicating they teach. Ignore the rest, Even me

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Hey guys. My name is Maxim and i'm a new guy here. I started play pool recently and have some questions about the game.
I saw Ralf Ecker's pool tutorial and make some drills from his videos. I recorded a video (6 mins) with my game and here's some questions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pcpnsq55dol2hw/video 09.02.16, 15 43 28.mov?dl=0

1) How to make my game more consistent? I can shoot nice, but at some moment i'm losing concentration and start to miss a lot (yesterday i wasn't able to shoot an easy ball for ten minutes)
2) How should i stay as a tall player?
3) Is that okay how i shoot the ball (5:40 at the video)? My hands are pretty long and looks like i make a cue movement with my wrist.
3) Any general tips about my game since you saw it?

Many thanks,
M

The link did not connect to dropbox or a video. Happy to advise you if we can connect (no cost to you). Send me a PM, please.