Spin

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Happens in banks alot multi rail no English necessary as the angles in and out create run and hold on their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard of collision induced throw, but collision induced spin? Never heard that one before. I hope Bob Jewett can weigh in on that. Great question.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happens in banks alot multi rail no English necessary as the angles in and out create run and hold on their own

Not so sure about that. I always remember having to add a tip of running English to help hold the line.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I didn’t say all of them Fran, just that they are there. 3 in the side or 4 in the corner are a few that come up tegurlary

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Any spin created by hitting another ball would be minimal at best. The cue ball will pick up spin any time it hits a rail at any angle other that straight into the cushion,

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I heard DeLiberto comment the other night about a cut shot one of the players was making....."he doesn't need to put any spin on the cue ball for position, the angle of the cut with just a straight high ball will put running spin on the cueball just from the collision".
I've played pool for a 'thousand years' and never thought about that too much. I realize that on a cut shot say to the left, the object ball will pick up right spin from the collision, but I never thought about the cueball doing likewise.
Before I go to the torture chamber and experiment using a striped ball as the cueball to see for myself, I'd like to know if this is true. (or if it does happen am I just unknowingly applying spin due to a crummy hit).

Without reading DeL's mind, he may have missed the fact that he puts a dash of spin on it with his approach angle or cue stick motion, subconsciously.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard DeLiberto comment the other night about a cut shot one of the players was making....."he doesn't need to put any spin on the cue ball for position, the angle of the cut with just a straight high ball will put running spin on the cueball just from the collision".
I've played pool for a 'thousand years' and never thought about that too much. I realize that on a cut shot say to the left, the object ball will pick up right spin from the collision, but I never thought about the cueball doing likewise.
Before I go to the torture chamber and experiment using a striped ball as the cueball to see for myself, I'd like to know if this is true. (or if it does happen am I just unknowingly applying spin due to a crummy hit).

The cue ball almost always gets some side spin from a cut shot. The only exception is when the cue ball has just enough outside spin for gearing rolling across the object ball. The amount required to do that depends on how large the cut is (pretty obviously).

If you want to see this for yourself, spot two balls on the foot spot, just as you would spot balls in a game that requires it. Separate them by a tiny gap. From an angle of 45 degrees to the line of the balls (for example, shooting from a foot pocket) shoot straight at the nearer ball without any side on the cue ball. That ball will go straight to the side cushion. I don't think it will bounce straight off the side cushion. Shoot the shot firmly.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Good experiment.

Thank you for your time......and it's hard to beat the price. :)

I've seen you play before in action for keeps..you know what it's all about. That's what an instructor should be, in my opinion. Able to go at it in combat and demonstrate what they teach under the heat.

(unlike some of those fat overweight bums who think they know everything)

You're a credit to the game and I appreciate it.

Keep on truckin'

:thumbup:

Dam like at least half of the games players are a quarter ball overlap....harsh 🤣

Forrest was a prophet

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
:smile:...I guess you do have a point there.
I wasn't talking about 'just a little overweight'.....lots of us have that, including me.
I was referring to some of the obese "fat bellies with the big cigars" who think they're kings and sacred cows.
Here's to pizza and draft beer! :thumbup:

I would love to hear your opinion of Buddy Hall.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
below is a pic from freddy the beard's bentivegna book "banking with the beard "
also have you noticed if you put an object ball on the line between the centers of the side pocket and pocket the ball and want to make the cue ball go perpendicular into the short rail and back uptable in a straight line you need a small amount of inside english to counter the running english imparted from the collision
or you can do it with a small amount of follow so that the cue goes forward alittle and then the spin brings it back along the line you want
the billiard books also have you adjust the spins with the systems depending whether you are going off the "inside ' or outside" of ball 2
hope this helps
i am not an instructor
beard pic 2 collision induced spin.jpg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am sorry for the large pic
i have a new laptop and havent figured out how to make the uploads smaller...:eek::eek:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i am sorry for the large pic
i have a new laptop and havent figured out how to make the uploads smaller...:eek::eek:

for better sized pics

go to your profile here on azbilliards

create a photo album, upload pics there

once done, it will provide an image code that you copy and paste in the comment and the photo will appear

all photos done this way will be the same size, perfectly sized photos for the forum

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I got to get better at being thorough...I keep having to clean up loose ends. Sorry for my incompetence...(I write like I shoot pool..not so hot).
I'm talking about some instructors who think they're God's gift to the world...and can't make a ball in combat when the pressure is on 'em. Not referring to championship players who've just slipped up physically along the way.
And for what it's worth, remember when Buddy was in his prime, he was a lean mean fighting machine who could go at it for hours..so was Ronnie Allen,....I don't know why those fellas let themselves go like they did. Really bad on the health.
Many professional athletes seem to do that....I recall seeing Joe Louis before he died and he was almost like a blob. I guess they just stop training..?
Just my opinion though, and really doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the overall big picture.
Stay happy.
:thumbup:

Probably the toughest part of being a really good athlete in most pro sports you have to be super fit of course.

You eat a lot of food to fuel your body, when you quit, retire or whatever some of those habits you never had issues with put the sneak on you.

Some of those guys got legs knees hips shoulders elbows and hands busted to hell. Most of them earned their right to not be worried about that anymore too I’d guess.

Hell half the so called health food today is garbage

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard of collision induced throw, but collision induced spin? Never heard that one before. I hope Bob Jewett can weigh in on that. Great question.

I find this extremely hard to believe. The amount of time you've been around and you aren't aware of this.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find this extremely hard to believe. The amount of time you've been around and you aren't aware of this.

Yeah, I'm pretty dumb. Maybe you can provide us with some relevant information, like exactly how much spin the cue ball picks up at varying cut angles and how it affects the path of the cue ball.

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer the OPs question I'm almost positive Danny D was referring to the spin the angle into the cushion would create..... like if you hit into a rail at a steep angle in naturally picks up running English around the table. I'm sure it made sense to Danny but he wasn't thinking about explaining it to someone...... or I could be wrong entirely lol