Help buying a beginner cue?

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this is beating a dead horse, but I can't find anything overly helpful on Google. I've played casually for a long time, but had a couple year gap where I didn't play at all. I'm back into it now and I'm looking for the best cue I can get around $100 or less. I know that's not much to work with, but its all I can afford right now. I'm definitely novice, but can usually beat most people in my local hall. I used to have a KC custom cue, which was an awesome cue by my standards. All I have now is an Eliminator sneaky and a Halex "titanium" graphite. I don't mind the halex, but does have quite the vibration and doesn't feel like greatly solid hit. So for up to $100, what brands should I look towards and what should I stay away from? Are Mcdermott's cheaper cues any good, Lucky by Mcdermott, Cuetec, Viper, Dufferin, Players? These are some brands that caught my eye.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LunaticFringeIn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your 100.00 max limit is about as low as I would start with, but thats not to say something a little more budget priced wouldnt serve you well for a while until you have a chance to use a lot of cues and find one you like and can save up some fun dollars for. Im a working stiff too and dont have long arms and deep pockets either, so I understand where your coming from.

Given a choice between McDermott and Cuetec, and I own both, I would get the Cuetec. To me the Cuetec felt more solid, but YMMV. But then again I aint hung up on looks and all my cues have been fairly plain and simple, solid performing cues.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think you can get a decent viking for that price. check here and on ebay. hell i think a new lower end viking goes for around 100. other than viking or dufferen's i wouldn't waste your time with anything else

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm just overly cautious buying on eBay. I don't want to buy a cue that comes in warped it anything. So I guess I should stay away from viper's revolution and like series? They got good reviews at ozonebilliards.com. I wish I could get a deal like that KC I had. I gave $80 for it and it was in pristine shape.

darenpm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can also keep your eyes in craigslist. I just saw a pretty nice McDermott out here where I live for $100. Plus you can probably meet the person at your pool hall and probably hit the cue...

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can also keep your eyes in craigslist. I just saw a pretty nice McDermott out here where I live for $100. Plus you can probably meet the person at your pool hall and probably hit the cue...

I've been checking craigslist for a while and there's never anything for me. There are a total of 3 cues in my area. Two cheapos and 1 joss for a few hundred too much, lol. I saw a few "kits" on ozonebilliards.com for mcdermott cues. Somewhere around $100 and lower.

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mcdermott-cue-dr-cue-training-kit.html?disableMobile=true

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mcdermott-cue-pro-cue-kit.html?disableMobile=true

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mcdermott-cue-deluxe-cue-kit.html?disableMobile=true

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/mcdermott-cue-classic-cue-kit.html?disableMobile=true

Would any of these be good for my skill level? Obviously the cheaper I can get the better, but I don't want to buy a cue that's no better than my halex.

darenpm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craigs list can be tricky. You have to be patient, because sometimes you will see a lot of stuff and other times you can go a couple of weeks without seeing something. If you have a smartphone or an ipod touch you can find some nice apps for searching craigslist that are better than the actual site! Also check some of the nearby areas on the site, it helps if you are able to travel a little. As far as the McDermott kits, I am not sure what cue they are offering with the kits-it might be something similar to their old Genuine line. Any input on what they might be offering guys?

darenpm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also now may be a good time if you wait a few more days on craigslist as a lot of leagues are starting up for fall. Biggest thing on there is don't jump the gun-make sure you do your research before you buy. There are tons of resources out there on the internet.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craigs list can be tricky. You have to be patient, because sometimes you will see a lot of stuff and other times you can go a couple of weeks without seeing something. If you have a smartphone or an ipod touch you can find some nice apps for searching craigslist that are better than the actual site! Also check some of the nearby areas on the site, it helps if you are able to travel a little. As far as the McDermott kits, I am not sure what cue they are offering with the kits-it might be something similar to their old Genuine line. Any input on what they might be offering guys?

Well I noticed that the Dr. Cue kit and the pro cue kit have different bumpers than the usual McDermott. Don't know if that signifies anything, but it was an observation. The deluxe and classic both have the traditional McDermott bumper.

darenpm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok then. I now see why you are having trouble finding anything on craigslist. There really isn't much around you to look from. I will certainly let you know if I see any good deals online. If you go to a pool room that sells cues you might be able to demo one and see how the hit feels as well before you go and spend your money...

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok then. I now see why you are having trouble finding anything on craigslist. There really isn't much around you to look from. I will certainly let you know if I see any good deals online. If you go to a pool room that sells cues you might be able to demo one and see how the hit feels as well before you go and spend your money...

I'm pretty sure we only have store here that sells decent cues. I'll have to stop in there.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
For a beginner cue, on a low budget, you can't go wrong with a Player Cue.

All my friends know I have the "cue bug" pretty bad, and spend way too much money one them; but, I was pleasantly surprised when a good friend let me try out his new Player he purchased online for around $100 bucks. That cue also came with a Kamui Black tip installed for no extra cost.

Josh

Last edited:

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a beginner cue, on a low budget, you can't go wrong with a Player Cue.

All my friends know I have the "cue bug" pretty bad, and spend way too much money one them; but, I was pleasantly surprised when a good friend let me try out his new Player he purchased online for around $100 bucks. That cue also came with a Kamui Black tip installed for no extra cost.

Josh

You're talking about the Players brand? I'll look at them a bit more. So I've been reffered cuetec, players, McDermott, and fury. Any more I should look at?

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I would avoid the Cuetec, but Fury and Player's cues have treated me well.

One of the better deals in cues are the sneakiest pete cues. TNT also look good to me also. You might check the for sale section for those.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_pool_cues.htm
Get one of these. In your price range they are very plain but the quality is much better the the Chinese import cues you have been looking at.

I actually like the S3 schmelke. Kinka plain, but that doesn't really bother me. I think that may be the one I go for. What kind of joint should I go for? Also any specific tip that would be a noticable gain? And what's the difference between a standard and laminated shaft? I know the shaft on my Halex is pretty smooth and glides easy, while the shaft on my eliminator sticks to my hand a bit. I didn't think I'd get so many customization options on a cue in that price range, lol.

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Jim Baxter for one of his sneeky pete barn finds. I just ordered my second. Hits well, good price. John