Questions about Predator Z2 shafts

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have just changed my shaft from my custom Jim White shaft that came with the cue to a 314 as i have been thinking i was missing out by not using a low deflection shaft. It has taken some time to get used to and i'm still not really 100% there yet but i do like the feel of it and love the spin it generates.

I have been considering changing to a Z2 as i understand it is lower deflection than the 314 and generally a better shaft. As i am not totally adjusted to the 314 yet i thought it would be a good time to do the change rather than have to go through another transition.

Anyway, my question is that i have been looking at predators website and dealer websites and predator give the spec as 11.75mm tip and the dealers seem to be selling 12.75mm tips on the Z2. Is it just an option?

I would also like to hear your thoughts on the shaft if you have used one and if you would reccommend the change.

Thanks

Graeme

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Z2 does have slightly lower deflection than the 314-2 but not so much so that it's a world of difference or anything. I've tried both on my Schon cues, I switched to a Z2 earlier in the year. In retrospect I could have just as easily gone with a 314-2, for me it plays pretty much the same, but my old shafts were about 12.1 or 12.2 mm and the Z2 shaft was closer in diameter (at 11.75 as you mentioned) than the 314-2, and at the time I didn't think you could turn down the 314-2 much because of the manufacturing process. I now realize that I could have safely turned it down to 12.25 or so, that would have been the more conventional option probably.

As to the Z2 being a "better" shaft, not sure about that. I think most players that have a hard time with the Z2 is because the shaft is so thin, anyone with larger hands would have a hard time forming a tight bridge I would think, which is probably most of the reason why the top players choose the 314 models over the Z. The Z2 also gives a little more of a feeling of having to pinpoint your spot on the cue ball, even though you have to do the same thing with a regular shaft it just doesn't look quite to thin in relation to the cue ball.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the change and expense unless you have a concrete reason for switching, i.e. you are used to a thinner snooker or billiard shaft, etc. and the shaft would just feel more comfortable. Otherwise spend the time getting used to the 314 you already have, they are both great shafts though.

My 2 cents,
Scott

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft i am currently using is just a 314 not a 314-2 so i think the figures from predator on deflection and acuracy are a reasonable amount different so i just thought while i am getting used to the low deflection shafts it would be a good time to upgrade (if that is an appropriate word). The thin shaft would not bother me as i am from the uk and grew up with snooker and uk 8 ball pool i use an open bridge, so that won't be too weird for me, as will the tip size.

Will the tip size affect deflection? If the tip is fatter as in the 12.75mm shafts i have seen, will the fatter shaft at the tip mean difference in deflection? As that is the whole point of the shaft.

Thanks for your comments, i appreciate them.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
UK-Collector said:
i have been looking at predators website and dealer websites and predator give the spec as 11.75mm tip and the dealers seem to be selling 12.75mm tips on the Z2. Is it just an option?

I think Z's only come as 11.75mm.

I have one and like it alot, the spin you can generate is rediculous. The dlection is NADA, I can go to the very very edges of the cueball and I experince virtually no delflection... However, I have found that it requires a smooth, accurate stroke and does require a lil extra "umpfff" to get multi rail or table length shape as compared to the other shafts I've played with. I've been told it's the tip that is causing the "dead hit". I don't know to be honest but I have heard others remark the the Z has a dead hit to hit too.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't believe everything you read on ebay. You can get a fatter 314-2 but not a 12.75 Z2.

I have used a 314, 1 and 2 and the Z2.

To me, the second series is better, more feel, than the original.

Again IMHO, the main benefit between the 314-2 and the Z2 is the ability to cue more accurately and get lower on the cue ball when needed. That avoids some miscues and lets you hit the cue ball softer and get the most backspin possible. There is a small, but noticable on long shots, difference in deflection.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rhncue said:
They got their information crossed up between the 314-2 and the Z-2 is what has happened. The Z-2 is 11.75mm.

Dick

Thanks for that, at least i know what i would get with the Z2.

From your comments it looks like the z2 is slightly better than the 314-2 which in my book would make it enough better than the original 314 to give it a shot.

Would i save much money by buying used rather than new? and are they easy to source used? $240 is not a cheap shaft after all.

Graeme

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used the pre cat pred shafts before i switch to the old 314 to now the 314-2. in between i also tried the Z2.

I felt that the Z2 is too thin. Its got the feeling like a needle pointing at the big ball.

So i am sticking to the 314-2. But the problem is the ferrule on my 314-2 shaft exploded into pieces when i did a deep draw shot! So now i am stuck with a house cue!

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with a 314 for the past 2 years or so. While in Vegas for the APA last week I was going to upgrade my shaft to the 314.2 but I went by the predator booth and talked to them about the difference and they let me shoot with the Z.2 for a while on there table and I decided to go with the Z.2 instead. So far it's been awesome and I'm still getting use to it but it shouldn't take to long.