Keeping count in straight pool

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you use when keeping score in straight pool? It seems we used to use some kind of counter thing and keep it for each other, but I can't remember. Thanks!

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I usually play on brunswicks that have the counters in the rails, we use those :)

I have seen things in the for sale section that were basically mobile score counters, a little box with counters in them. I dont think it would be too hard to make if you got the counters from muellers.

Woody

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
What do you use when keeping score in straight pool? It seems we used to use some kind of counter thing and keep it for each other, but I can't remember. Thanks!

you could use a clicker counter. Some use the counters on the rails that are on some of the older brunswick model tables, and I believe that meuller recreational products(poolndarts.com) sells a bead set that can hang b/t the lights(wooden score marker) that goes to 50 on each a side for about $20.

hope that helps,
Grey Ghost

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like a click counter, but I can't find one. We have the counters on the table, but they are such a pain.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Fingers. Played to 5 because we weren't very good and could only get the table for 1/2 hour per night at the Boys Club.

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a link

http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm...414&Fuseaction=Catalog.Product&productID=5942

You could just make a wooden box to mount them on.

Or you could use pensil and paper :p

I used the above counters and made an enclosure out of plastic.
I carry the device with me each time I play and it works out great.
Here is a link to the drawings and pictures of the actual counter...
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=173447

Assembled-2.jpg

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I had this same question a few months ago when I bought my GC4 that does not have rail counters. Here's the thread, there was a few ideas discussed:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=153466

I'm not very handy so I bought the counters from Seybert's for $10 rach then dropped them into a cigar box I got for free from the local cigar shop. Just cut out the openings with a dremel. The whole thing cost me $20 and about 15 minutes of my time:

002.jpg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
how you like these apples?

http://www.tallycounterstore.com/

they have counters for everything, they can be used for anything ranging from counting food portions, to how many boogers your kids friend eats in an hour. Plus they are made from my favorite metal, stainless steel lol.

the ghost with the most to the rescue,
Grey Ghost

Last edited:

BradE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a pretty cool program that you could set the race, and you click every time you made a ball - it was great for a match. It would also tell you your high run and average and all that good stuff. It was only handy if you had an opponent with a laptop or desktop near by

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is the cheap solution:

the old coin under the rail counter.

start the coin in the middle and move it to the right or left(only one way) after each rack is run.

i have a friend who is a strong 14.1 player and he puts a coin under the rail and everytime he(or I rack for him) racks the balls he moves the coin to the next spot.

For example if the coin is on spot 4 and there are 5 balls left on the table he is at 70 each spot is 15 and then count the balls made before you rack again. here is the math (4X15=60) +10=70

When you miss put the coin back to the middle diamond right below your chin :). He runs over 100 often so that system would work, just advance the coin when your getting the balls out of the pockets, its cool when he is on about 7 or 8 because the coin is at the other end of the table. If you go around the whole table your at 270 so 2 laps and you beat the great Mosconi, sounds easy just 2 laps. LOL Sure.....

Now for me I wouldnt need a coin. I just count how many balls are left on the table when I miss. My high run is 8.:frown:

Last edited:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
I started a thread on this subject some time ago.I did a search but I cannot find it.There is a software for keeping score on a computer but I cannot find that either lol.