Sir Barry Hearn

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that Barry Hearn been officially recognized in the United States for his immeasurable contributions to the sport of pool, it would seem prudent that he be recognized in his own country by Her Majesty to become a Knight.

According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, this is the definition of a knight: a man who is given a special honor and the title of Sir by the king or queen of England.

Interestingly, women who are appointed to this honor are done so by the "Order of the Garter." Garter? Man, what's up with THAT? :embarrassed2:

AzBilliard's counterpart in England is Pro9.co.uk website. They have their own forum and everything, but it doesn't get quite as wild as we do over here on this side of the pond. :grin:

Here is a great article from Pro9.co.uk about Barry Hearn: Sir Barry Hearn

Picture by Jean-Pierre Parmetier for Matchroom Sport.

[I didn't know J.P. stood for "Jean-Pierre." How charming and exquisitely French! Ooh-la-la! ]

Okay. AzBilliards Gold Star of the Day goes out to who can name the four faces behind Barry Hearn in the photo. :D

Attachments

• 2013jpp_mosconicup2012Hearn457 (1).jpg
    2013jpp_mosconicup2012Hearn457 (1).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think they mean "Garter snake". Just kidding JAM. Don't give me a barrage from your keyboard. :). johnnyt

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they mean "Garter snake". Just kidding JAM. Don't give me a barrage from your keyboard. :). johnnyt

LOL. I don't get why they call it "Order of the Garters." They might as well say "Order of the Girdles" or something. :D

I guess being inducted into the Order of the Garter, as depicted below, ain't so bad, but I think I'd rather be a Knight. :embarrassed2:

Attachments

• article-2343223-1A5E0811000005DC-681_634x453.jpg
    article-2343223-1A5E0811000005DC-681_634x453.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 862

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This just in 13 hours ago

One thing for sure, Barry Hearn has his finger on the pulse of pool and many other sports around the world.

THE CHAIRMAN of World Snooker was full of praise for the Ricoh Arena after successfully staging the Champion of Champions event.

The best players in the world were sent to Coventry last week to take part in the invitational event which saw the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Neil Robertson and Mark Selby entertain sell out crowds inside the Jaguar Exhibition Hall.

It was the first time the Ricoh has staged snooker, but Hearn hinted there was a strong possibility it will be making a return next year.

Source: Top stars could make Ricoh return reveals Barry Hearn [Retrieved 13 December 2013]

Attachments

• snooker8_v_c1856769_131128_215.jpg
    snooker8_v_c1856769_131128_215.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 872

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Now that Barry Hearn been officially recognized in the United States for his immeasurable contributions to the sport of pool, it would seem prudent that he be recognized in his own country by Her Majesty to become a Knight.

According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, this is the definition of a knight: a man who is given a special honor and the title of Sir by the king or queen of England.

Interestingly, women who are appointed to this honor are done so by the "Order of the Garter." Garter? Man, what's up with THAT? :embarrassed2:

AzBilliard's counterpart in England is Pro9.co.uk website. They have their own forum and everything, but it doesn't get quite as wild as we do over here on this side of the pond. :grin:

Here is a great article from Pro9.co.uk about Barry Hearn: Sir Barry Hearn

Picture by Jean-Pierre Parmetier for Matchroom Sport.

[I didn't know J.P. stood for "Jean-Pierre." How charming and exquisitely French! Ooh-la-la! ]

Okay. AzBilliards Gold Star of the Day goes out to who can name the four faces behind Barry Hearn in the photo. :D

Actually, the Order of the Garter is reserved for 24 of the Monarch's closest "companions", and are usually males. The "Ladies' Order of the Garter" is reserved for foreign female monarchs and a handful of ladies and females in the royal family. The knighthoods you see civilians and foreigners get from the Queen are usually the Order of Companions of Honour or the Order of Bath. In order for Barry Hearn to get one, he'd have to do something philanthropic or something that greatly enhances the reputation/honor of Great Britain (think Bob Geldhof, Elton John, Paul McCartney). A couple of times a year, an "honours list" is published, where the Queen gives out medals, honors and knighthoods. Senior military officers and senior civil servants expect to get something at some point in their careers; they usually get put in for it through their ministries via the Prime Minister to the Queen. I've never been to the ceremony (I was a military attache in London once upon a time), but got to go to a few after parties! :wink:

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a good year for Barry Hearn. He was also inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame: Leading US boxing promoters and TV outlet AWE congratulate promoter Barry Hearn of Matchroom Sports for his recent induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. [Retrieved 13 December 2013]

Hearn will be inducted alongside Oscar de la Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Richard Steele (referee), Joe Calzaghe, and Photographer Neil Liefer on June 5-8, 2014, in Canastota, New York: International Boxing Hall of Fame.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the Order of the Garter is reserved for 24 of the Monarch's closest "companions", and are usually males. The "Ladies' Order of the Garter" is reserved for foreign female monarchs and a handful of ladies and females in the royal family. The knighthoods you see civilians and foreigners get from the Queen are usually the Order of Companions of Honour or the Order of Bath. In order for Barry Hearn to get one, he'd have to do something philanthropic or something that greatly enhances the reputation/honor of Great Britain (think Bob Geldhof, Elton John, Paul McCartney). A couple of times a year, an "honours list" is published, where the Queen gives out medals, honors and knighthoods. Senior military officers and senior civil servants expect to get something at some point in their careers; they usually get put in for it through their ministries via the Prime Minister to the Queen. I've never been to the ceremony (I was a military attache in London once upon a time), but got to go to a few after parties! :wink:

I did not know that. Thank you for that great information. I know United States Government like the back of my hand, but I am definitely not as knowledgeable on governments elsewhere. I have always admired England's monarchy. I am glued to the TV whenever there's something about the new Prince William, Kate, and Prince George. :smiling-heart:

I find it fascinating. Barry Hearn has done a lot of philanthropic work. I would think he'd be a shoe-in for Knighthood. :smile:

Attachments

• rs_293x473-131023072612-634.Prince-George-Christening.jl.102313_copy.jpg
    rs_293x473-131023072612-634.Prince-George-Christening.jl.102313_copy.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 845
Barry Hearn has done a lot of philanthropic work. I would think he'd be a shoe-in for Knighthood. :smile:

Hmm, I dunno. There's always been the suspicion of something nasty about Hearn, as there must be with virtually all sports promoters. You think Don King is pure as the driven snow? :eek:

Traditionally, knighthoods would never be given out to anyone with skeletons in their closet, for fear of embarrassing the crown. Hearn must have some humdingers in his...

I was thinking about this recently - I can't think of anyone from the snooker world who is a sir. Stephen Hendry can't be far away. A disgrace the sport is so overlooked by the political and monied classes in the rich south, who endlessly promote minority middle-class sports like the woeful rugby union, yet totally ignore games enjoyed by millions of working people throughout the country.

The UK is still class ridden, that is your answer.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Steve Davis is a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) and an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE); not knighthood (so not a "sir"), but he came out on the honours list twice.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I HEARD Mr Hearn is not happy with some players from BOTH sides and checks are not being issued to them currently.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
LOL. I don't get why they call it "Order of the Garters." They might as well say "Order of the Girdles" or something. :D

I guess being inducted into the Order of the Garter, as depicted below, ain't so bad, but I think I'd rather be a Knight. :embarrassed2:

Um, The Order of the Garter is not some feminine distinction. Garters were worn by men at the time of the Order's founding. It's like saying Order of the Sash, a separate order created when the King captured France for a while.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speaking of "ooh-la-la," check out Barry Hearn's son Eddie: Eddie Hearn--No Ordinary Life.

He is also involved in sports with the Matchroom Sport enterprise. ;)

What an automobile! I want one. :)

Thanks for the link. The short, 4-part mini-series includes an interesting look at Matchroom Sport's headquarters (a former Hearn home) and York Hall (site of many Mosconi Cups).

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really????

I did not know that. Thank you for that great information. I know United States Government like the back of my hand, but I am definitely not as knowledgeable on governments elsewhere. I have always admired England's monarchy. I am glued to the TV whenever there's something about the new Prince William, Kate, and Prince George. :smiling-heart:

I find it fascinating. Barry Hearn has done a lot of philanthropic work. I would think he'd be a shoe-in for Knighthood. :smile:

Well----------------,
This family and it's Royal by Birth Matriarch, rule by the declaration of the Roman Catholic (false prophet of god) Pope. I like the Declaration Of Independence and the following document, Our Constitution. Those documents still give "ALL" the royalty of Europe "FEAR in their bellies,"[(I.M.H.O. as it should be) however, not in light of the N.W.O.], that the common of the World could be free of them and their totalitarian rule (always, the tyranny of a Crown)!
You do pay taxes to these idiots through the Rothchilds International Banking Cabal,and the U.S. part of that, the Federal Reserve Bank. So I guess, you do have some ground to stand on in your request for Knighthood for Barry Hearn!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not kidding on this one-Hope my sources are incorrect. I meant to hilight 'heard' (since corrected)

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, your sources are partially correct, Nostroke. Checks were issued, but some may have been docked for behavioral problems.

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I'll shoot yer heart out and hand it to yeh!

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, your sources are partially correct, Nostroke. Checks were issued, but some may have been docked for behavioral problems.

Hmmm...
Now lemme see.
:grin:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely love this video: Barry Hearn--The Most Powerful Man . . .

In essence, Barry Hearn is a self-made man who climbed his way to the top.

I love the fact that in his spare time, he enjoys listening to country music and fishing in his back yard, while sitting in his favorite rocking chair.

This is a great video. If you have time, you should check it out. Barry Hearn is much more than a sports figure. :smile:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 394